Want to drive down I-75 but avoid Atlanta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldCamper

I am heading down I-75 in a couple of weeks to Florida but hate driving throught Atlanta.Ga.  Is there an easy way around this town and all the crazy traffic? I have pulled my camper throught Atlanta a few times but would like to avoid this if possible.

Living on the Gulf Coast of FL and having family in NC, I have gone through Atlanta too many times! When I have to do it in the RV, or when towing a trailer, I schedule the trip so that I am going through ATL after 9pm...and then I go straight thru town, NOT using I-285. Also - weekends tend to not be so bad at any time of day.

As far as alternatives...where are you coming from and going to??

Mark has it right.  I never go during the hours of 7AM until 9:30AM, and 4:30PM until ^PM.  I always go through downtown on 75 I don't like 285.  Weekends are a lot better but DW and I are early birds and live 125 miles away from Hot Lanta so we can get up early and get through before the rush.

I hit Atlanta back in 2009 on my way to where I am now.. Not a problem as I recall,, Just avoid the rush hour.

Question: Why do they call it "RUSH HOUR" when you'd make better time.... Walking?

I was born and raised in Atlanta, and am very familiar with the traffic flow. 

If you're coming down I-75 from the north, don't plan on approaching Atlanta and the perimeter highway, I-285, before 10 AM, traffic can be heavy on I-75 as you approach I-285. The same is true if you're approaching from the south. 

You want to avoid morning and evening rush hours.  Morning rush hours can last from 6 AM until after 9 AM, and in the evening from about 3:30 PM to almost 7 PM.  The poster that mentioned going through town at night has a pretty good idea, but a painless daytime transit is not out of the question even on a work day.

If it were me, I'd avoid I-285 and stay on I-75 through town, in general it's shorter and quicker if there's no heavy traffic.  However, this road is susceptible to wrecks and traffic at any time of the day or night so although the odds are in your favor for a good run through town, anything can happen.  If you opt for I-285, you'll have a lesser chance of heavy traffic but you'll have to travel a few more miles. 

OK, there is MAJOR construction in downtown Atlanta on I-75.  Both I-75 and 285 southbound have been backed up for miles this spring.  We came northbound and hopped on 285 per the warning and made it through just fine.  However, when we were on the northwest side in Cobb county, there was a Cobb County Police Cruiser in every lane of southbound 285 to stop the traffic because it was so congested further south.  It was NOT a pretty site and everyone who traveled that route this past month has some pretty horrible experiences.  Anyway, I would find a route around it, or go through in the middle of the night!

Sheila

We live just North of Atlanta & echo what everybody says about mid-day, midnight & just go through downtown.

Use the HOV lane.  Avoid the lane changes you have to make on the downtown connector otherwise.

We went over to Rome once & did US 27 via Carrolton & Griffin.  That seemed to take forever so we haven't done it again.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom