What is max trailer pin weight for a Dodge 2500hd crew cab diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

What is  pin weight max for this truck. My family's weight is about 450 pounds (me,wife, and two kids). Fuel weight  about 180 (at 5 pounds per gallon 36 gallon tank i think is right). Plus 5th wheel hitch (not sure on this but guess about 150 to 200 hundred pounds) and camper that i'm looking at has a 1,500 pound hitch weight, if the camper company's are telling the truth.That puts me at 2330. Payload for this truck 2580, is this to close or ok???  Or i'm i missing weight somewhere?  Should i be into a 3500 SRW i really don't want a DRW.  Thanks for your help.

Check the sticker on the pillar inside the drivers side door for the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of your truck.  Take that weight and subtract the ACTUAL weight of the truck (you can weigh it at a truck stop), then subtract the weight of the passengers, fuel (diesel is 7.15 lbs per gallon), tools, luggage, hitch and any other items you may carry in the truck.  The remaining number is your payload.  The payload is how much more weight you can carry without going over the trucks rating.

Let's use my 2002 F-350 SRW as an example:

My GVWR is 9,900 lbs
Truck Weight: 8,400 lbs with me, my wife, a full tank of fuel and my misc tools.

I have 1,500 lbs of payload capacity remaining before I reach the rated capacity.  Keep in mind that you should be mindful of the individual tire, axle and wheel ratings of your truck.

Another important number is your GCWR (gross combined weight rating).  Mine is 20,000 lbs.  That leaves me with 11,600 lbs of towing capacity.

Always use the GVWR of the trailer you are looking at for your pin weights and combined weights.  A typical pin weight is around 20% of the trailers GVWR.  A 12,000 lb trailer will have a pin weight approaching 2,400 lbs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom