DMV Giving Us A BAD time!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Wondered if any of you have had this problem?  We are getting our MH registered with the WONDERFUL state of California and the DMV is giving us a hard time about the Emissions Certificate.  Seems that the sticker that Cummins puts on the engine and that is not accessable and since they can't read it from the outside is not exceptable.  So, I've gone to Cummins and they've sent me copies of Emission Certificates for my type of engine, problem is...the certificate does not have my vin number on it.  I understand that Cummins builds these engines and then sends them on their way and where they end up they don't know!  DMV seems to think differently.  So, right now I'm fighting with them to get my rig registered.  Just wondered if any of you have ever gone through this and if so, what did you do to get around this?

I have never been through this but will throw this out there. Take the sticker that cummins sent you to a sign shop and have them duplicate it with the VIN on it. Do you think that would work?

I don't think so.  I'm planning (when it stops raining) to go out and take my camera, climb as far into the engine compartment as I can and take a photo of the sticker and print that out.  I'm sure that will work, but it just seems like a huge loop to be drug through....

Just a couple of guesses here. Can't the coach manufacturer help with the situation? They must have run into this before. Or is there a possibility that Cummins could provide a sticker that could be placed inside the engine compartment door? I know on a lot of personal vehicles the smog info is a sticker placed on the underneath side of the hood.

Or you could keep it all within government and go find a disgruntled postal employee to take to the DMV with you.....JUST KIDDING!!

LOL, don't think I haven't thought of that one!! (the disgruntled employee)  I did contact Winnebago and they told me that I had to contace Cummins.  Cummins can and did send out the certificate but DMV is saying that they won't accept it without the Vin printed on it and Cummins says they don't do that.  Kind of a "catch 22" if you ask me.  I can't believe that I'm the only MH in CA to have to go through this.  I thought maybe I just got the bad luck of getting the crappy DMV clerk...

I also live in California and when we bought our coach, the dealer submitted all the paper work for the registration.  So I'm wondering if the dealer should be helping out with this. 

As someone else suggested, Winnebago Industries would most likely have a record of the specific engine they placed in your coach.  In ours, there is a sheet glued to a cabinet door with all the vin/model/serial numbers of the equipment installed in the coach. 

This must be a new law for diesels.  I know on our DVW registration for our diesel truck, we now have to have it smogged.  Another source of income!!!

Marsha~

Try a different DMV office.  As above our dealer sent in all paper work for first registration.  Did you purchase the MH in CA??  GoodLuck

That's where the problem is, we purchased the mh in Oregon.  Otherwise, the dealer would have just done the paperwork for us...however, when you purchase a vehicle out of state you have to have the vin verified.  I just never heard of this emissions certificate.  We did get paperwork direct from Winnebago but this DMV office wants to be able to actually see the sticker.

4ducksrus ~~ You are unfamiliar with having to have a 'Smog'Certificate in CA??  Have to have all our vehicles get a new EmissionsCertificate every few years ~ at the 'Smog Test Sta/Facility'.  Believe all vehicles coming into CA from out of state must be 'Smogged' before registering.  JM2?

4ducksrus said:
That's where the problem is, we purchased the mh in Oregon.  Otherwise, the dealer would have just done the paperwork for us...however, when you purchase a vehicle out of state you have to have the vin verified.  I just never heard of this emissions certificate.  We did get paperwork direct from Winnebago but this DMV office wants to be able to actually see the sticker.

Can the sticker be removed and reinstalled in a different (easier to see) location?

Or...I know you shouldn't have to do this, but, could you take it to a smog station, have them check it and electronically file it to DMV?

This isn't a "smog" certificate that they're looking for.  It's a sticker that is on the engine and it just so happens that this sticker is in a place that is not easily accessable from the outside of the motorhome.  Like I said, I will crawl as far in and get a photo of it.  Just seems like the Vin and paperwork should be enough.  This is a brand new MH and this is the first time it has ever been registered, not sure if that makes a difference or not.  The Customer Service Rep at Cummins said that I should call Sacramento and go over the DMV's head because he thinks that the certificate that he sent me should suffice without the Vin number!  I've got a call into them and I'll let you know what Sacramento says...

You should have the engine serial number from Cummins and the build sheet for the motorhome should also have the engine serial number and VIN.  Those 2 pieces should be enough to tie the engine to the VIN.

Cummins ships engines to the chassis manufacturer and has no idea what chassis the engine will be used on.  The VIN is tied to the chassis.

4Ducksrus, You don't know how much I can sympathise with you.
As I have mentioned herebefore, I am a rancher and own a small trucking business with semi trucks.
Over 10 years ago I stopped sending any trucks into California. If you think you have problems, just talk to any trucker who hauls into or out of California.
Actually over the years, since the 1970's, the Federal DOT and Teamsters Union have continually made life more and more difficult for small truck company businesses and California has led the pack.

I agree, I would go to another DMV office. I ran into similar problems registering motorcycle. I won't bore you with details but I drive over an hour out of my way to go to different office to avoid the hassles from the closest one. Obviously not every office is required to use common sense! Good luck.

I know that motorcycles and I think cars too have to made for California to be registered when they are brand new. If they have over 7500 miles on the clock they are regarded as used and are exempt from CA emmissions laws. That is why there are vehicle that are 50 state and some that are 49 state. The 49 state vehicles cannot be sold new in CA or registered. All engines are are covered including motorcycles, generators ATVs lawnmowers and I think even chainsaws. If it has an exhaust pipe it seems to come under the regs. Maybe you could register it at one of the Domicile places out of state

regards Steve

I would have loved to have registered it out of state!  It would've saved me $$$$!!  But, I did discuss it here on the forum and found that since it is "illegal" to register it to another state while I'm still residing in this one, we went the honest way!  I have all of the paperwork from my dealer, and from Winnebago.  I understand what everyone is saying should work, what I'm telling you guys is what isn't working!  They're not excepting the paperwork that was provided to me by my dealer which came from Winnebago and Freightliner.  And, basically it is just that the sticker isn't clearly visible from the outside.  I have the solution, which is to take a photo of it for them.  I just wanted everyone else to know what can happen here in California and I guess to be able to VENT and for that I'm thankful to all of you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom