Removing wall mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catblaster said:
no it didn't but ours is a 95 and I would not have know it except that the mirror was falling off the wall.

That's one way of finding out what's holding them on!  ;)

We have a mirror on the side of the pantry.  Instead of removing it we made an insert to fit the mirror and my wife's spoon collection hangs there using Velcro.

Haven't heard back from my bud at Winnebago yet - once in a while my email ends up in their spam system (no jokes please  ;D.)  I'll give it another try Monday.

John Canfield said:
Haven't heard back from my bud at Winnebago yet - once in a while my email ends up in their spam system (no jokes please  ;D.)  I'll give it another try Monday.

:)  Thank you!

My guy was out of the office, but he provided the following a little while ago:

The mirrors are held in place with a 3M two faced adhesive.  We would generally start by putting tape over the mirror to prevent it from putting glass everywhere when removing.  In our shop they use a product called D13 which is a petroleum based product, in our case though we are not too concerned about the vinyl under the mirror as we are going to put another mirror in its place.  D13 is not readily available to the general public.  Sometimes the tape will release with the aid of heat but you want to be cautious not to put too much heat, you don't want to damage the foam in the wall.  A product like rubbing alcohol or a decal remover may work, you would want to start by pulling at the top of the mirror, use a long knife to cut the tape as you are applying a steady pull on the mirror, of course protecting yourself from any glass [breakage].

I'm thinking GooGone or maybe good old WD40 might work as well.

Sometimes you can use thin flexible wire if you can get to both sides and gently pull it down between the wall and mirror or picture, then clean the wall once the mirror is removed. If it is construction adhesive rather than tape you might have an issue getting the adhesive off the wall without damage to the wall.

As per Dennis' idea, I have used a metal guitar string many times before to release items held in place by double sided tape. Use a sawing motion as you work the string down behind the mirrors and wear gloves to protect your hands from cuts by the string. Just find someone who plays a guitar as they are always changing out thier strings.

Pete

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.  John, please tell your friend thank you for the info...even tho I was hoping for HD velcro.  ;)  I think I will try the "wire" trick first (sounds like a good idea) to see what that does...if the wire won't even go behind the mirrors...I'll just enjoy the lovely framed mirrors that Winnebago installed so well.  :)

I will be picking up the MH in a day or two (waiting for dry weather here in Idaho so I can enjoy the wax job before it gets messed up) and will post if I was able to do anything with the mirrors.

Thanks, Margaret 

I have bought glass tiles to put behind the sink and stove in our 04 Winnie.  Those lovely mirrors installed by the factory have got to go.  They have to be cleaned after each dishwashing or cooking, and those behind the stove are too far away for me to reach (I'm vertically challenged.).  So....I will be removing those mirrors and it would be so nice it they had been adhered with velcro.  They are stuck hard and fast.  Guess they will all break.  But that is my chore for the day. ...removing those mirrors.  Designers got smarter and quit putting those mirrors in the newer models.  Now all I see is tile of some sort.  Say a prayer for me and my attemp to replace the mirrors.  Thanks.

Hi Everyone!  I picked up the MH yesterday and of course, by today I was eager to see if I could remove the large wood framed mirrors on the back wall of the bedroom.  It's not going to happen...hats off to Winnebago for making sure those things will NEVER fall off when going over a rough road.  If I removed them I think the adhesive would take most of the wall with it!  And I don't think I can find a print large enough to cover the damage.  I'm glad the mirrors on nice looking, because I won't be changing them out.  I thank all of you for your information and ideas, but I have opted to leave them where Winnebago put them...solidly attached!

Thank you,  Margaret

There were 16 of those mirrors glued to the walls behind the stove and sink.  I got everyone off without breaking a one.  Saved the break till I have moving them from the motorohome to storage.  They were mounted with double sided tape which came off rather easily with minimum prying and a little heat from the hair dryer.  However, there was big Squiggles of something akin to liquid nails behind each one as well.  It was tougher.  I had to scrape it from the walls where it remained.  After getting the wall smooth, I set 1" glass tiles in their place and grouted same with a coordinating color. 

My hubby said he liked the mirrors better, but he doesn't do the cleaning.  I agree that the mirrors added to the impression of a larger space; but I am very happy with my new backsplash.  It wipes down easily and you cannot see every water drop or every spatter of grease.  And....nobody else has one exactly like mine. 

Now I am on to refinishing the table since the previous owners had it covered with industrial strength velcro and had removed and replaced it more than once.  No only marked from the velcro, but gouged with removing.  I have it sanded and
stained to match.  Now to the polyurathane in layers. 

Mamaw said:
...Now I am on to refinishing the table since the previous owners had it covered with industrial strength velcro and had removed and replaced it more than once...

A little thread drift - apologies in advance ...

Velcro on the table?  :eek: :eek:  That I cannot imagine or picture in my mind.  I removed our table about a year ago and brought it into the shop and completely stripped/sanded and refinished it.  I sprayed on two or three coats of a satin polyurethane.  Looks great and it will last a long time.

We have mirrors behind the bed. They were attached (poorly) using construction adhesive (like liquid nails). One panel fell off twice and the dealer fixed it with mirror mounts screwed into the wall.

Just to update.  The mirrors were held on with double sided tape and construction adhesive.  A tad of heat and gentle persuasion (?) and they all came down.  Didn't break "nary" a one.  Waited till I was taking them outside to break one.  The glass tiles are installed and look wonderful; but better yet, they do not show every drop of grease or water spatter.  Hubby sez he liked the mirrors better because they  made it look bigger; but he does not cook nor do the dishes.  I'm happy.  Everybody else who comes in raves about the tiles and general comment is, "Oh, I've never seen one with glass tiles".  Got all the velcro up & refinished the table.  Matched the color pretty darn closely.
Another project complete.  Now only have the day night shades to repair,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom