Weighed the rig. WOW!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glockholiday

My 05' Excursion is rated for an 11,000 trailer and 20,000 GCWR. My trailer has a GWR of 12,500, I estimated my trailer loaded to be around 11,500 and I was rounding up, boy was I wrong. The X with my family and I, and full of fuel weighed 7620. On the way to the dunes Monday I stopped at a Love's for fuel and said what the heck and pulled onto the scale. The Excursion was 9,120 and the trailer was 10,900 for a total of 20,020. That means the trailer weighs 12,400 (9120-7620=1500+10900=12,400. Long story short, I don't want to upgrade trucks, I want to change my line up all together and get a motorhome with enclosed trailer. Just thought you guys would like to hear a story to put some truth behind everyone telling you to take your rig to a weigh station. That said, it still handles like a dream. On the way there it was windy 20-25mph cross winds and I maintained 60mph, and on the way home with very little, maybe a slight tailwind I maintained 70-75mph with no sway. I love my Excursion!

Here's a pic of the rig.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/ghostriderr6/Excursion%20Toyhauler%20Polaris/Rig.jpg

Thanks, glockholiday. Your experience at the weigh station is typical. I don't know where all the extra weight comes from, but it always shows up. I have some extra around my waist, too!  ;)

That is one reason I harp so much about getting to the scales for actual weights.  Guesses are just that, and generally useless for any meaningful discussion.

You will be a lot happier with a motorhome & your MPG will not be much different either  ::)

I feel RV's take crosswinds much better then a truck & a trailer, at least the newer ones do.  Especially the DP's

Unless I have a headwind I cruise 70-73 in my 38ft class A gasser pulling a wrangler unlimited.

I never know how to estimate these things. I thought we were close to the max, but it turns out that we're not. We weighed our motorhome recently at just under 42,000 lbs. We thought we had lots of stuff, but there's still about 4,000 lbs. available! Heaviest wheel had almost 7,200 lbs. on it, and all were well within tire and axle limits. ('03 CC Magna) Handles well now that we had the front end aligned.

glockholiday said:
My 05' Excursion is rated for an 11,000 trailer and 20,000 GCWR. My trailer has a GWR of 12,500, I estimated my trailer loaded to be around 11,500 and I was rounding up, boy was I wrong. The X with my family and I, and full of fuel weighed 7620. On the way to the dunes Monday I stopped at a Love's for fuel and said what the heck and pulled onto the scale. The Excursion was 9,120 and the trailer was 10,900 for a total of 20,020. That means the trailer weighs 12,400 (9120-7620=1500+10900=12,400. Long story short, I don't want to upgrade trucks, I want to change my line up all together and get a motorhome with enclosed trailer. Just thought you guys would like to hear a story to put some truth behind everyone telling you to take your rig to a weigh station. That said, it still handles like a dream. On the way there it was windy 20-25mph cross winds and I maintained 60mph, and on the way home with very little, maybe a slight tailwind I maintained 70-75mph with no sway. I love my Excursion!

Not really surprised at all..And as far as I am concerned you are not overloaded nor exceeding your trucks limits.
Edited respone from a post I made in July 10:
A long time ago it was pointed out to me that my 97 Maximum Trailer Weight is actually only 7,101 lbs, but the fact is my Toy Hauler GVWR is 13500lbs.  No doubt a newer truck would be better, but I would still exceed the Maximum, what am I supposed to pull it with.... I mean there is F150's with lil 5.4 motors rated MUCH higher than my Diesel F350 ...Yea mine is 14 years old and they have some newer safety features and systems that are used in calculating the rating, but it makes no sense, these vehicles pale in comparison in pretty much every aspect....Let's Face it the newer trucks aren't made with more steel and sheet metal, there is less....lol

I guess I just see 1/2 tons puling HUGE trailers and it drives me nuts and I feel a guy in a 3/4 ton would be fine...UNLESS it was one of those HUGE 5th wheels, but I don't really know the weight on them either. 
Pulling experience is another factor, I have pulled all my life and know my limits and those of my vehicles, many don't have experience or know the limits...

Another note. The hitch on my Excursion is a Class-V rated for 12,500 and 1450 tongue weight with W-D hitch so I'm good there.

i had the same feeling so on a trip to penn state with the wife and kids and my sister in law and loaded with fire wood i hit the cat scales i was surprised at the actual total weight but also happy that i was still under my max axle wieght, i am sure alot of people are in the same boat.  but it does make you feel good to know your real wieghts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom