Cables overheating for my inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmike321

Hi,

Can  someone help me figure out why my cables from my battery to my inverter are always very hot, and it seems like they are slowly melting.

Thank you

That sounds like a loose connection to me. I would start by cleaning and re tightening the battery cables. Then go forward on the cables from there and check every connection.

bigmike321 said:
Hi,
Can  someone help me figure out why my cables from my battery to my inverter are always very hot, and it seems like they are slowly melting.
Thank you

My guess would be that the cables are simply not large enough to be carrying the amount of current drawn by your inverter.

A loose connection could/would cause heating of the cable near the faulty connection, but probably would not cause both cables to be hot to the touch, and still have the inverter be functional.  The inverter would most likely shut off from low voltage.

What size inverter?  What size load?  What size cables?  What length?

There are two things that can cause that to happen.

If it's happening only at one, or even both ends.. I would agree with the "Bad connection" folks

If it's happening the length of the cable... Then the person who said too small has it.

Inverters can such hundreds of amps (Figure watts / 10 and you are real close, so 2,000 watt inverter can suck about 200 amps, or more) when fully loaded.  This will heat up a wire that is too small rather fast...  I recommend you read the manual and then go at least one size BIGGER than they recommend.

And make sure the inverter is as close as possible to the battery so the wires as as short as possible.

If it was OK before, I would suspect corrosion at the ends of the cables. Corrosion will cause a high resistance connection which will cause the cables to overheat, especially at the end where the corrosion is present. I think Tom's suggestion and solution is probably right on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom