1989 Georgie Boy Encounter class A pass Tx emissions inspection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmac44

I am a Texas resident, Travis County and I purchased the 35ft Georgie Boy Encounter in Michigan so I need to register the GB in Tx and to do that  it needs to pass AM2 testing and possibly TSI for vehicles over 8500lbs.  I just put in a new 454 v8 engine and wouldn't have any problems passing but just found out that I need to add a catalytic converter.  I have heard that a converter uses more gas.
Should I become a resident of another county or state and bypass the omissions testing and just get the saftey inspection?
Anyone with a little advice?

Correctly, or incorrectly, we were told to be sure to have our vehicles inspected in a non-emissions restricted city (county). As Escapees, domiciled in Livingston, Polk County, Texas, that was not impossible, but I found it curious that you had the option (or at least people thought you did).

So we had them inspected in Livingston, and registered without issue or emissions tests.

I think you can see this isn't the greatest advice, but seems to be the prevailing practice. Correct me where I am wrong.  :eek:

Rather than get possibly differing opinions, go to this web site and get all the details on the safety inspection requirements in Texas.

But here's the short version of the emission testing requirements:

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
    Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
    Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

1. The convertor does not use more gas. 2. I would check the emissions requirements for the vehicle by looking at the emissions sticker located near the top of the radiator on the cowling. Here it will tell you what was required on the vehicle. If the sticker is missing there is a website that you can go to which has all the old stickers by year and options on the vehicle. I don't know the URL but will search for it. If I remember correctly in 1989 vehicles over 8500lb did not use a CAT. Check the Federal requirements for your vehicle.

Thank you for the replies. For several years I have keep a Texas address @ a Pac-Mail. That address is on my drivers license and use it for insurance as well. I believe I will just do the same at the next county over (Hays) which has no emissions testing just safety.
All of you are gold ,thanks again.
T

Having replaced the engine, he may find himself in a new category vis-a-vis emissions requirements.  You generally are not required to upgrade an engine that was not originally equipped with a cat, but changing the engine opens up Pandora's box in some states and you are no longer grandfathered in. I'm not familiar with Texas law, so won't try to guess.

According to the 2010 Emiission Control System Applications reference manual, there were no 1989 Chevy motorhomes equipped with a catalytic converter.  This is the
Bible for checking emission control system tampering. 

Ron Platt ,You right on dude, as they say. ( Computer virus put me oughta commission for awhile otherwise would have replied sooner)
Your source was accurate pertaining to the 1989 GBoy did not have a catalytic converter from the factory.  They do now.

Back
Top Bottom