HR Endeaver vs Georgie Boy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whit

Hello, looking for our first motorhome and found 2 that really appeals to us. 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3480DS 28,000 mile 6.8 ford, the wife really likes the floorplan. The other is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38PST 3 slides 330hp Cummings 52,600 miles. I realize the HR is a better built vehicle and the diesel engine = the 30 grand difference in price. I really like the Endeavor with the Cummings! Wife says it is just a ego thing and maybe she is right. We will not be using fulltime, just going to grand kids ballgames, autoraces, and your weekend camping trips. Is the ford a pretty reliable engine? Wife has a V10 in her Ford Excursion and have had no problems. Dealer just called and said a 2004 Tiff in Allegro Bay 36DB is coming in tomorrow with the Chevy gas. It is priced the same as the GeorgieBoy with the same mileage give or take a hundred. 7year old motorhome vs 4 yr old motorhome. what to do, what to do?? Thanks for reading and any feedback greatly appreciated.  Tom

If I had the $30,000, or could come up with it, I would buy the Endeavor.  I think the decision would pay off for a long time.

Thank you COMer, one thing I noticed on the spec sheet is that the Endeavor has a LP generator, is that common on a diesel MH? Am going to try to get to dealership to ask more ?? and testdrive. Thx again--Tom

We have a Georgie Boy ('06 Pursuit - 32' V10) and have been very happy with it. They seem to have made the right decisions where it counts; king bed, large shower, jacks hyd. both ways, good storage capacity, premium appliances, etc., etc. I had thought to upgrade to a diesel and probably at about the price you have in mind. The longer we have it, the less inclined I am to upgrade.
Note that we have put about 21,000 miles on it over the past year and a half (probably 12 months on the road) towing a Jeep without a significant problem so we do have experience.
JM2C; Best of luck whatever you decide.
Ernie

PS I think a propane generator would be a pain; hard to get propane many places and limited supply (compared with gasoline).

PS I think a propane generator would be a pain; hard to get propane many places and limited supply (compared with gasoline).

The biggest problem with a propane generator is the tank size. The propane generator in our '98 DP worked fine and we didn't much of an issue refueling, the problem was the refueling frequency. We had only a 30 gallon tank, 24 usable, and if you are boondocking and running your a/c, you can make a lot of trips to the station.

I did not know the Endeavor came with an LP genset. You might want to verify that. One of the reasons we sold a past RV was just because of the LP generator. They are expensive to operate and the tank is no fun to fill on a class A-especially having to unhook/undock and move. Back to your question-as an Endeavor owner, I can say it is the best coach I've ever owned. We full time now, but originally used it for weekend duty (like you want to).

I will double check on generator,but it does have a 80 gal propane tank. On the gassers, is the a big difference in the chevy and Ford engines? I think they quit making the chevy or am I mistaken?

I would go with the Endeaver if you are looking at a long term investment. Most people do not use their gensets enough to worry about the propane unless you plan on doing a lot of DRY camping. I have seen 10 year old coaches that have less than 200 hours on the genset.

The Ford is a great engine.  Personally, I would not buy a unit with a propane generator, unless I planned to replace with a diesel or gas model shortly. 

Drive all three if you can.  That's the only way you'll know how they handle which may be more important than the floor plan and other amenities.

I've always thought propane generators were noisy.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment on this.

ArdraF

Whit said:
On the gassers, is the a big difference in the chevy and Ford engines?
Not from what I hear, just a personal preference. We are GM folk and therefore purchased the workhorse with the Chevy engine and also preferred the 6 speed Allison tranny.

Whit said:
I think they quit making the chevy or am I mistaken?
You are correct

GM quit making the 8.1L V8 engine, but Workhorse Chassis still builds their motorhome chassis. It comes with a Navistar diesel now, and there may be another gas engine in the works somewhere (rumor).

For your intended use, I'd take the GB & the gas chassis. You would love the diesel, I'm sure, and the Endeavor is a bit nicer coach, but you would never get the $30K difference in use or value, though you might recover some of it at resale time. Besides, Mama wants the other floor plan. And if Mama ain't happy, you aren't going to be happy either.  ;)

For your intended use, I'd take the GB & the gas chassis. You would love the diesel, I'm sure, and the Endeavor is a bit nicer coach, but you would never get the $30K difference in use or value, though you might recover some of it at resale time. Besides, Mama wants the other floor plan. And if Mama ain't happy, you aren't going to be happy either.  ;)
[/quote]
I have to agree with Gary. The type of camping/running around that you will do the gas will work for you. I think the floor plan is almost the most important thing when choosing a motor home. (But then, I'm cheap)

Whit said:
I will double check on generator,but it does have a 80 gal propane tank. On the gassers, is the a big difference in the chevy and Ford engines? I think they quit making the chevy or am I mistaken?
I think you mean 80 pds. Ours is roughly 23 gallons allowing for the 20% safety factor.

I think you would be very happy with the quality of either of them but especially the Roadmaster chassis that the Endeavor rides on.  That said, I would be hard pressed to spend the thirty thousand difference based on the type of use that you described.  I am not a Ford fan, however, I have worked on quite a few of the F-53 chassis with the V-10 and they are a well built platform.  The Workhorse is also a very well built platform and I really like the 8.1 GM engine/Allison trans even though they stopped production of it.  Parts and support will still be available for the 8.1 either through Workhorse or GM as well as the aftermarket.

If you are looking more long term and more frequent/longer usage then I would suggest the Endeavor on the diesel chassis, however, I think either of the gassers that you are looking at would be great choices.  GB makes a nice coach but if they are getting an Allegro Bay in wait and take a look at that and drive it.  Tiffin makes a great coach as well with good quality of materials and workmanship.

Between the two gas chassis, personally I would lean towards the GM with the Allison trans but that is from my experience with the Allison vs. the Ford transmissions as long as both had similar floorplans in which you and your wife liked.  Also see if any service records are available for any of them.  That would give you a glance at how it was maintained or not maintained.  That is one of the things that has helped us sell our past two coaches was the detailed service records.  Even though none existed prior to us purchasing, I have kept very detailed and precise records and the perspective buyers seem to take notice of that.  Mike.

Thanks to everyone's feedback! Shopping for a MH is pretty stressful, at least for this newcomer it is! I have one more queston and that is what about a 2006 Fleetwood Bounder35E? Is this a good quality entry level motor home? We did test drive it this weekend and it was very windy and I was surprised of how well it drove in the high(20mphplus) crosswind. Ford motor and tranny. Thanks again--Tom

My 2010 Bounder (Ford V10) is excellent. Assuming decent condition and a floor plan suitable for you, a Bounder would be a good choice.

I personally am not a huge fan of the Georgie Boys that we saw.  They seemed similar to the Storm or Flair in component quality.  I am also partial to the Workhorse over the Ford.  I drove many versions of both and liked the Workhorse better each time I drove it.  We ended up with a 2002 Bounder on a Workhorse but we looked at an Endeavor and several Southwinds.  We were really close to pulling the trigger on a Georgie Boy and a Hurricane but the counter tops and flooring were not as nice as the similar priced Bounders, Southwinds and Endeavors.  The biggest killer though was the comfort of the front seats, the cheaper rigs didn't use nice driver and passenger seats.  You will be spending some serious time in those seats, make sure you get nice ones.

Jeff

Well, thanks for everyones feedback! We settled on the Fleetwood Bounder and brought it home this afternoon. Wife and grandkids really love it,as do I. Again thank you and will probably be back on here to gain some valuable info.--Tom

Back
Top Bottom