where and how to purchase RV in US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jan Stiskala

I am Aussie and would like to purchase RV in USA. Reading this forum is help, but it is hard to get all the information in simple way to understand. Lot of information is also outdated and I am not sure if the situation now is same like 10 years ago.
Is any dealer in US specializing to sell RV vehicles to oversees visitors?
It would be nice to get help from professional people in this complicated process.
I am trying to find out at the moment where to go for initial purchase. What state is the best.
I am planning to buy RV and travel in to us for next 10 years for 3 months holidays each year. This is my dream for many years. I done same thing in Europe and... wow.... lot of great memories.

Slow down and do some more reading. There's absolutely no reason for you to pay a third party, "professional" or otherwise, to buy an RV for you.

Some of our articles and discussions have been around for some time, but the basics really haven't changed.

This article on Buying an RV isn't that old, and should be close to current. About the only thing that's changed are the relatively large number of RVs that were foreclosed by the banks. In some of those cases, you can sometimes get a really sweet deal.

Is any dealer in US specializing to sell RV vehicles to oversees visitors?

Most dealers will sell to anyone and, if you say you're from overseas, they'll suddenly become an expert in such sales. Don't get suckered into this stuff, especially when there's so much help right here in The RV Forum.

Thank You Tom
You are right, this article you pointed to is not that old. I read different article (find it in google search). That article actually get me here to your forum.
If you would be in my shoes, in which state you would start your 10 year trip, and purchase the RV?
I hope that 10 times 3 months will be enough to see large part of the USA.
I am doing at the moment same thing in Europe. This year I am finishing by exploring Baltic republic, selling my RV in Europe and like to start the US adventure.
Europe was easy for me, I am born in Czech Republic, living in Australia now (you can notice this by my bad English grammar)

Jan

Jan,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help. :)

If it were me, I'd go to Lazy Days RV in Tampa, FL. I know they make sales to visitors from other countries. I just met a new member from the UK at Lazy Days and we spent a couple of days with him as he selected an RV for his journeys in our country. He was very happy with the experience. I expect there are other dealers out there that also have this experience. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of good advice.

WOW!  What a GREAT way to see the USA and the rest of the world.  I'm just a little jealous!

Are you going to store your coach in the same place each year?  If so, I believe I'd look for somewhere in the midwest (centrally located) to both coasts.

If you're storing the coach in different places at the end of your holiday, then I'd look for dealers near where you're going to start your journey. 

I would think that any large volume dealer would be able to help you.  Colerain is one located near Cincinnati, Ohio.  It's about half way between the east coast & Mississippi River.

AND....Welcome to the forum.  I hope you'll share your adventures....past, present and future!

I too recommend Lazy Days in Tampa, FL. Not only do they have a large selection (nearly 1000 new and used RVs in stock), they are very familiar with handling transaction for visitors to the USA.  They know the how to help with insurance , vehicle titles and registration, money transfers and such.  As Jim mentioned, we just recently helped a gentleman from the UK get a rig there and he was very pleased.

Jim gives good advice.

Irrespective who the dealer is, do not send or give them any money until you have completed the deal on your selected RV. We have seen reports of dealers and agents asking for the transfer of large amounts of money prior to the buyer even seeing the RV they'll purchase. Run from anyone who asks you to do this!

There's no magic to transferring money to a dealership in the US; You have a number of choices, but here are the two most likely ones (unless you have a Swiss bank account):

1.  Open a bank account here in the US, transfer money to your new account, then pay the dealer (with a check) from that account.

2.  Ask the dealer for the routing number and account number of their account, and you can wire money directly from your bank account in Australia to theirs. Your bank may charge a "wire fee", but it will be small in the scheme of things.

We've used these and several other legal methods of transferring money from the UK to the US and vice versa numerous times over the years.

There's a US government reporting requirement for any amount over $10,000 into or out of the US, but this is an issue for the bank, not for you.

my wife's mom/stepdad purchased their rv from lazydays just a few months ago, great company

I would NOT buy it from Tom Raper in Ohio/Indiana

Lazdays has enough inventory that you could probably just buy it when you come to the states on your first trip.  Like mentioned above they have a HUGE inventory & I wouldn't think there would be a need to purchase it w/o looking at it first.  If I recall they have a hotel on site (or something like that) for people to stay at while they are making up their mind.

Hi,
Regardless of where you buy, you might consider basing at the Escapees Park in Livingston TX. Texas is a reasonable tax state (Montana seems to be the lowest, but its COLD there) and Escapees offers a lot of support for full timers (mail, etc.). Two friends of ours (Norm and Paula) from AU are currently touring the US; they bought in Houston, but also plan to take their truck and fiver back to AU after a couple of six month stints in the US. Might look them up (I think their blog is (two Aussies in America..)
Best of luck,
Ernie

Hi to all.

I am sorry for late reply to all your answers. I am so happy to see so many members on this forum willing to help me.
Reason for late reply is my current trip in Europe at the moment. I am traveling in Czech republic for 2 months now and planning to visit Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in next 3 months. This is my last European travel before I sell my motorhome (7 years of European vacations ) and purchase another one in US.

Back to the subject;

Jim, Garry, 2KViggen,    thank you about tip for Tampa. I will approach Lazy Days and get more informations. Friendly help from dealer is exactly what I would like to get. Hotel on site is also great.

Karen, I will be storing my motorhome on different locations during the trip, I think that this would be more convenient to save me unnecessary travel. Good to know that larde dealers offer this type of service. There is only one thing I am not sure about, how I will be able to renew my registration and insurance from different states. Hope that this will be possible by mail, or internet.

Tom, Thanks for advice about the payment. I will open account in american bank after arrival if this will be possible. I heard that they are reluctant to do this for foreigners. Another option to transfer money from Australian account is also easy.
No I will not pay with out seeing the vehicle.

Ernie n Tara, thank you about information about Norm and Paula. I will look them up when I come back from this trip.

Again Thank you so much for all your help.
If anybody on this forum need informations about European travels and specially about Czech republic RV informations, please feel welcome to ask me. Hope to be able to help back.

Hi Jan
We are fellow Aussies who bought a 1999 29' Winnebago Brave SE Class A in June 2010 privately in California over the internet before we left Australia.  Yes, it was a risk, but it has worked out perfectly.  We had hired a motorhome in the USA a few years ago and absolutely loved it.  As we are in our 60's we felt we had to do it while we were prepared to drive on the other side of the road.  We have toured USA, Alaska and Canada over the last 14 months.  We are having the "time of our lives".  Reluctantly we will need to return home early October this year so will have to think about selling before too long.  Registration and insurance were arranged by the previous owner before we arrived and we are using his address in California.  Good luck with your plans and you will not be disappointed in North America it is a real BUZZ.

Cheers
Sue & Harold

Thanks Sue and Harold
I am thinking also to explore US before my wife and I lose our energy to do so. I am 57 and hope to get another 10 years of youth to make my travels around the us. He he.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your travels. Hope to to the same.
Such a big and versatile continent like America will be excellent end of my RV experiences.

Jan,

I'll be turning 70 soon and don't plan on stopping our RVing experiences very soon! :) Still can't believe I'm that old!!!! ;D ;D

You are right Jim
70 is really not that old. Hope that I will be healthy 70 yo like you.
I am traveling in Estonia right now, and this country is full of surprises. I did not expected this formal russian republic to be so advanced. Nature is so beautiful, lakes clean and people friendly and intelligent. So far I have no problem to comunicate in English with natives. Hope to have same succes in America, I have strong accent hehe.
I am glad that we decided to finish our European travels by visiting Baltic republics this year.
My RV is sold and new owner will collect my RV in 3 weeks from airport. Looks like the money I will get in Czech republic for my 10 years old fiat rv will get me much better set up in US.

Jan,

You shouldn't have any problems communicating here. There are many accents in our country even though it's one language. ;D ;D

Thanks Jim.
Maybe I should visit you on my travels to annoy you little. He he.
But I must say that all my friends are teling me how nice and friendly americans are and how that they welcome turists.

I can't wait for next season to go to Tampa and shop for the RV. I looked on Google maps and the place is huge. looks like lot to choose from.

Jan,

Would love to meet you when you come over. We are about 2 hours from Lazy Days. Have met several foreign members of the forum there. :) Some have become close friends.

BTW, today in the bookstore we had a lot of Aussies visiting Yellowstone. Guess they might be getting away from their summer. :)

Thanks Jim
I will take your offer for sure and visit you when the time comes.
Hope that you will have time to go for drink with me.
I will contact you after my arrival to Florida next year.
Same counts for you in case you visit Sydney one day.

Cheers
Jan

Jan,

We'll just have to make the time.  ;D I may not make Sydney but our son was just there. He spent a week at meetings for the U.S. Navy.

Back
Top Bottom