Rv Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc24

Hi, I am retired and thinking about doing the RV thing full time as a live aboard. I have a few questions. It's just me, a dog and maybe a woman, if I can find one. LOL.

Am I better off with a Class A, B, Or C class?
I have been told that for my situation it's better to get nothing under a 30'. True? I heard that alot of campgrounds won't take anything over that.
Should I look for rigs that are 20 years old and less only?
What brands are good and ones to stay away from?
Buy one not in California due to higher price, smog, etc?

There is no single answer to any of your questions.  ;)  It all depends on your own preferences, planned needs, etc.  An RV show or large dealership is the best way to see multiple styles of RV's and figure out which configuration you like the best.  Check out the "Library" link above and specifically the "Buying an RV" section, which addresses many of the items you listed.

I'd have to agree with "There is no single answer to any of your questions." It will depend on your budget and how much room you want or need. Myself, I've had a few Class-A motorhomes after having three fifth-wheels. I don't full-time but I like the room, carrying capacity and larger fuel/water/black & grey tank capacities of a class A; if I was on the road a lot, I would think those things would become even more important to me. A Class-B probably has a lot of appeal, though, for people who like an RV that is easier to drive and park, and certainly getting better fuel economy. I just think for me, wanting to travel with everything including a couple of kitchen sinks, it would get too small and claustrophobic. Class C's used to be unique for being able to sleep more than just three or four people due to the over-the-cab sleeper, but now newer Class A's have bunks and newer Class C's have a T.V. and cabinet there instead of full-size bed, so it comes down to what you visually like, what you're needs are, and how much you're willing to spend.

Right now's a great time to be in the market for a used RV with many units half the price of just a year or so ago, but keep in mind that the older the RV, the more likely you'll be spending money to repair bigger problems, such as a leaky roof, a slipping transmission, etc. Buying an RV that shows pride of ownership with maintenance records can be a big plus.

Here is some additional insight between the different RV classes.
http://www.rv-coach.com/rv_types.html

I do think you would want either an A or a C with a dog.  Think lots of rain and dog all crowded into a B trying to keep dry.  Add another person and it doesn't improve.  Also, for fulltiming, you really need more storage.  You'll need to carry a lot more "stuff" than someone who only goes on vacations or weekend trips.

ArdraF

Richard 34A said:
Here is some additional insight between the different RV classes.
http://www.rv-coach.com/rv_types.html

We have a very similar resource page on Types of RV's right here on the forum.  ;)  It's all there in the Library with oodles of other archives information, much of it especially helpful for the newer RV'er.

Here is an article in our library called Full Timing 101. It will answer a few of your questions.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom