Decal Removal- Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpgs

I am currently removing all of the decals on my Keystone trailer....I will be replacing them with new graphics that are different from the original (they don't make the old ones any more) so they will not be in the same places...Here are a couple of the issues:
1.  How do I get the glue off?!?!  We have gotten the decals off one side with a hair dryer and razor and hours of peeling...if you just pull (without the heat) you can sometimes get them started where they come off glue and all, leaving no residue...but some of them are so brittle they tear easily and we had to use the hair dryer, which then leaves all of the glue....I was told by my RV dealer NOT to use anything but Mineral spirits to get off the glue, or it would damage the Filon...NOT Acetone or Paint thinner....So I have tried Mineral spirits and GOO off, and both don't work well.....hour of scrubbing for just a small area...Any suggestions???

2.  The ghosting is a little noticeable (whiter coloration) where the decals were...since the new ones aren't the same, this is an issue...I had planned on waxing the whole exterior with a buffer to shine it and hopefully take away a little of that, but again the dealer told me not to wax before putting the new decals on as it may cause them not to stick well...????

After removing all the decals on my 30DA Allegro, there is only one way for removing decals from fiberglass sidewalls. Use 3M #7499 Strip Removal wheels in your electric drill. When I first started I thought that the wheels would burn the fiberglass but I was wrong The wheel works great but it is time consuming. After you remove the decals clean up what little adhesive residue is left with 3M adhesive removal spray.

Because of the amount of time involved, I wouldn't use a battery powered drill.

Do not use a heat gun. That's how I started out. The heat gun kind of works on the decal but just makes the adhesive runny and a real pain to clean up.

The only thing that you can't get rid of is the shadow left under the old decals.

George

To remove the tape, I'm using a heat gun with a putty knife (I rounded the sharp corners of the knife). It is also workiing, but is messy. I'm using lacquer thinner on mine and it works well. My Itasca is fiberglass. WD40 is also very good at removing goo and residue on non-porous surfaces.

If you still need help, I reccommend Zyolene, just dont leave it on for a long period.  It will remove the glue quickly and just wash it down with dawn detergent as soon as possible.

Yes, I removed all my decals with the 3M and also an off-brand pinstripe removal tool and it worked wonderful. Yes the very old decals left staining on the fiberglass, but I am painting it over again so I don't mind. I don't know if bufffing would remove the staining. Once I went back over the areas I stripped lightly with the remover tool it lifted any of the remaining glue right up (by this I mean it was left exposed for maybe a week sort of dried the glue back up a bit), I then sanded very lightly with a fine grit and it is ready to paint.

utahclaimjumper said:
Acetone works very well for removal and clean up.>>>Dan

The dealer explicitly told him that Acetone would damage the Filon... Goof Off (not Goo Gone) would also work - but would probably also damage it. Maybe try it on an inconspicuous area, first.

Mylo

We  use this stuff at work, so I tried some on my 1995 fiberglass stripes.  After I scraped off the stripes, I sprayed some on, let it set a couple of minutes and the glue wiped right off.  No damage to the fiberglass at all.  1-800-648-1153 if you're interested.  Located in Reno, NV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom