Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5n2mom

Do you do anything to your truck to make it more theft proof-or less drive-able when you are parked in some places? There is the vague feeling that we could wakeup being driven down the road! Pre-trip jitters?! You could PM me if you want to keep your method "private"..

My cousin had an excellent solution many years ago when he had some muscle cars.  Remember those floor mounted headlight dimmer switches in vehicles built in the 70s and earlier?  Before they started putting them on the very complex turn signal stalk.  Those are still common items in the auto parts store. 

Mount one of those on the floor underneath some carpet in series with the starter wire as operated by the ignition key.    I just hit the switch once to start my vehicle and once it's running hit it again.

Now if you need some work done on the vehicle just leave the switch on and don't tell the mechanic.  They'll never know.  Same with valet parking.

A friend who is a criminal defense lawyer who makes much of his living from Legal Aid tells me that the standard druggie won't spend more than 3 extra seconds trying to get a vehicle going.  Any problems and they're on to the next one.  Sure your door, window and/or ignition lock will be busted.    Oh well, better than the hassle of locating your vehicle days later in whatever shape in might be.

Any barking dog inside will guarantee no one will ever steal your rig.

I just lock it up.

Most people don't mess with RV's because they all had an uncle when they were kids whose Rv only went hunting. so they think it will be full of drunks with guns. The survival instinct is the strongest.

We had an aftermarket anti-theft system installed.  Can't do anything without the remote - if you do, the alarm will go off!  I'm pretty sure it was less than $500 to install at AudioItch in Tampa, FL.  Had the same system installed on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I used a hardened steel chain on my car trailer that often had the tractor on it with a Case hardened steel lock and placed it through the holes in the wheels . worked great but a little pricy compared to the $70 model above.

For app. $100 I installed an alarm with an ignition cutout switch and a pin switch under the hood so if lifted (to cut battery cable) it would set off the alarm. You can adjust the motion detector down so it won't be a nuisance and the flashing red light on the dash was also a deterrent. If you want a less expensive solution what about using the club? It's easy to see and most know it will be a pain to deal with. I know they just cut the wheel etc to bypass if they want it bad enough but the whole idea is to get them to move to an easier target right.

seilerbird said:
Any barking dog inside will guarantee no one will ever steal your rig.

and make you VERY popular at the campground...  ;)

on a more serious note - most people are concerned about security when away from their rig. leaving any animal unattended, especially in warmer climates, in a truck or camper without air conditioning will get you jammed up with the puppy police. and when a 'concerned citizen' damages your vehicle attempting to 'liberate' the little feller YOU might be the one who gets in trouble for leaving the dog inside in the first place. not saying it's right or wrong... just the world we live in.

I don't think the dog is  for me.. ours barks when people LEAVE  ::) but the other ideas are all very helpful! Thanks so much- will get busy today seeing what is most workable for our situation.

the $70 wheel block may be a little too attention getting- but it sure made me laugh..with many teen-twentys on my insurance policy, it brought alot more weight to the words "you are grounded"  Ha!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom