1st spring trip a success - mostly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molaker

I finally got to make a trip towing my 2004 Jeep Unlimited.  The new Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake works well.  MPG hit was about 1 MPG.  Just about what I'd expected on the roads we were traveling (lots of hills and curves).  When I installed the Ready Brake system, I opted to install the additional light bulbs within the Jeep tail light assembly.  That was easy enough and it also provided an additional benefit in that the Jeep's built in brake lights work as well as the add-on brake lights.  I added a turnbuckle as recommended by another forum member (sorry, can't remember who dunnit) so I could fine tune the brake cable length.  Since the Jeep's built-in brakes lights work when the cable is pulled, it was easy to fine tune the length by adjusting the turnbuckle to a point just before the brake lights come on.

The Ready Brake system included a dash mounted LED which comes on when the Ready Brake lever is moved forward by the toad pushing against the tow bar.  This is well and good, but still only gives an indication the the lever is moving off stop, no a true indication that the toad brakes are being applied.  Since the Jeep's built-in brake lights work when the cable moves, it occurred to me that if I mounted a simple 12v light (bulb or LED) behind the rearview mirror (or somewhere on the dash) and connected the light to the Jeep's internal break light wiring, I could have a more positive indication the brakes were, in fact, being applied by looking for the light in the MH rear view mirror (I have a class 'C' with rear window).  So, that's my next modification to the towing system.

We met some family at Petit Jean State Park near Little Rock and stayed 4 nites.  The weather was near perfect - mid 70's during the day and no rain the entire stay. :)  FYI - Petit Jean camping is not like I remember it from years ago.  It is quite close and crowded and the week we were there was spring break so it was really filled.  The park and camping facilities are showing some need for renovation, in fact, the lodge & restaurant are under renovation right now.  After Petit Jean, we went further south to my son's in Monticello, Ar.  Had a nice stay and took a driving tour of Vicksburg Battlefield Park while there.

The trip was not without some negatives.  As I was preparing to leave for home, I was checking around the rear wheels as I also checked the tire air pressure.  Something did not look right on the passenger side.  Then I realized what it was.  I have air bag suspension supplements on the rear.  One side of the top mounting bracket had broken its weld to the frame.  The air bag still pushing against the top mount had bent the mount to almost a 45 degree angle and the air bag took on at very distorted bend as well.  Not good.  I reduced the air pressure to about 30 lbs on both sides to relieve the stress and hopefully not cause any further damage.  I drove it back home in that condition with no real adverse affect.  In fact, I hardly noticed it.  I think having the Jeep in tow took some of the usual tail waggle out out the rear end and assisted in reducing the affect of low pressure in the air bags.  Anyway, we made it home safely and now I'm looking for a mobile welder who can handle jacking up and removing the rear wheels as well as repairing the bracket.

All-in-all, a good trip. :) 

Got a couple of photos of the air bag brackets.  1st one is good side. 2nd is busted side.

Attachments

• 2011-03-30-13-58-37.jpg
    2011-03-30-13-58-37.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2011-03-30-13-58-04.jpg
    2011-03-30-13-58-04.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 40
geodrake said:
Arkansas has some wonderful state parks.  Enjoy the season.
Yes, it does.  My son will soon be moving to Siloam Springs area and we plan on a bunch of camping trips to Beaver Lake.  It will mostly be COE parks not "state" parks, but still nice parks - and great fishing!

I got the air bag bracket welded up yesterday.  All is well again.  During the job, we looked closely at the old weld.  Coachmen had done a lousy job of welding, very little penetration on the bracket itself.  But, it did last 10 years.  Guess I can't complain too much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom