What Stuff is Needed to set up coach network?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.
We want to set up a simple network in our coach. As of now, the components of said network will be my laptop, Jack's laptop and a wireless printer. We have access to the RV Forum via our DSL line which will be eliminated in about 6 weeks. We want the laptops to be able to "talk" to each other and want the laptops to "talk" to the printer. As for accessing the Internet, I don't know what we will do when the DSL is gone. Suggestions, ideas and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Jack and Liz

I believe you already have everything you need.  I recall you connected a wireless router and access point to the DSL modem to share the internet connection and I thought you had the printer functioning too.

As for internet connectivity, the usual options are available:  cell phone, WiFi when you can find it, satellite, borrowed phone lines.  It's mostly a function of budget and how much effort you want to expend, and how urgent the need is to connect :)

Ned said:
>>>>>I believe you already have everything you need.  I recall you connected a wireless router and access point to the DSL modem to share the internet connection and I thought you had the printer functioning too.<<<<

Nope, we do not have a wireless router nor an access point to the DSL modem.  So what do we need and where do we start?

>>>As for internet connectivity, the usual options are available:  cell phone, WiFi when you can find it, satellite, borrowed phone lines.  It's mostly a function of budget and how much effort you want to expend, and how urgent the need is to connect :)
<<<

OK, we understand that budget function.  ;D   

Thanks,
Jack(Now unemployed)

If you're going to get something like satellite for internet, then you will need a router/access point like the Linksys WRT54xx series.  If you're going to use WiFi when you can, then you need a wireless client for each computer and each will connect to the internet by itself.  There are options but first you have to decide on how you will be connecting to the internet.

For printer and file sharing, you just need an access point and wireless adapters for each computer.  The printer already has one.

Tell us how you plan to connect to the internet and we can tell you exactly what you need to get.

Howdy, Y'all.
Thanks for all of the info. As things stand now, either of our laptops can "talk" to the printer, wirelessly. That is so-o-o convenient. All other phases of setting up are on hold. We are really busy so that has to wait.

Much obliged,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom