Chevy Equinox as Toad/Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scobey

I haven't heard anyone talking about using the Equinox as a Toad/Dinghy. Is anyone using one and what is their experience?

Thanks for the comments.

Scobey

Allegro 32BA

The earlier Equinox, up through 2009, were not towable without using a dolly, but 2010 and later models have the 6T70 transmission and are towable without any mods.  Should make a great toad. I've seen a few on the highway, but have no expereince to report.

Just returned home after a winter in Florida. Pulled my new Chevy Equinox down and back with no problems!  ;)

Scott  :)

Pulled our 2011 Equinox for about 5,000 miles just have to pull fuse #32.  Didn't one time and battery ran down in one day.  Need to run engine to lube transmission every fuel fill.  I do it every lunch and at end of day for about 5 minutes.  Also, big enough inside to haul our Cricket golf cart.  It about 3/4 size of a full size golf cart.

Scobey said:
I haven't heard anyone talking about using the Equinox as a Toad/Dinghy. Is anyone using one and what is their experience?

Thanks for the comments.

Scobey

Allegro 32BA
We dolly a 2008 Equinox with no trouble at all.  It makes a great car for shopping and sight seeing.

THANK-YOU ALL! Appreciate the vote of confidence....since we finalized the purchase last night.... :)

Next on the agenda...tow package and brakes....any suggestions....everyone says "Blue Ox"...I have been on their site and it would appear the tow plate and then the Aladdin tow bar...Good/Bad or Indifferent??

Then brake arrangements. The Roadmaster Brakemaster appears to be the most sophisticated...and most expensive...not sure if it is THAT much better. Had an RV dealer tell me that if we were hauling a truck, OK, but for a relatively light car, it is overkill.  Any comments?

Thanks, again and regards,

Larry

Larry, good choice of toad. As far as towing equipment, you will need a base plate installed on the car, wiring between the car and coach, tow bar and toad brakes. Anyone who tells you the car is light and doesn't need a brake system just doesn't understand what he is talking about. All coaches built today have absolutely no braking provision for towed vehicles, just the GVWR of the coach, and the chassis manufacturers clearly state that supplemental brakes are required.

Blue Ox is good, so are Roadmaster and Demco. The differences are pricing, availability, capacity and features. Some models are easier to disconnect when the toad isn't straight behind the coach, Blue Ox tow plates can almost disappear when not in use. Just make sure that you select one that mounts on the coach, not the car and it's towing capacity is greater than your toad.

I have installed 4 Roadmaster towing packages.  Only took 3 to 4 hours for each to install the adapters.  The instructions and pictures were excellent.  The wiring for the lights takes a lot longer.  I prefer the dual diodes that Roadmaster sells.  I did have difficulty finding the wires that go to the Right Tail and Brake lights.  Finally routed 4 conductor trailer wire to the right side and made the connections right at the lights with the diodes.  Everything works great.

Regarding suplimental brake systems, I had Brake Buddy and there are several similar systems.  Had SMI, Air Force One installed on our Equinox at Perry, GA.  So much easier to get ready to tow or disconnect.  Wish I had SMI a long time ago.  You do need a suplimental brake system.  In a safety course, I learned that one in four that have ever towed has had a breakaway and that is reason enough for me.

I went with the Road Master base plates and tow bar. Now I wonder if I should of went with Blue Ox plates. With Blue Ox now I see no need for all those extra steel (brackets) hanging off the front of the toad vehicle.

Scott  :-\

Pull 2 pins and the brackets are gone, twist 1/2 turn and the horns are gone, nothing left on the toad. I love my Roadmaster system but I do leave my spacer braket on the  toad because the Jeep Liberty has stiff enough springs to handle that small amount of weight.

I've had both Radmaster and Blue Ox tow systems and both have performed well. Take your pick.

As for the toad brake, I use a Brakemaster by Roadmaster, but that's mostly because the coach came with the coach half installed. It's a good system and widely used, but I do not consider the Brakemaster to be either the most sophisticated or the most expensive. Others I would consider for myself are the Unified Tow Brake, SMI Air Force One, and M&G.

As Bernie says, you do need a toad brake. That Equinox is pushing 4000 lbs and you need some brakes to control it and to shorten your total braking distance.

Thanks some more!!!

Gary: Your Acadian is just a mite heavier than the Equinox... :)

I'd almost decided - by default - to go with the Blue Ox....now I have to go back and look at Some others....and this is for taking vacations and relaxing.....:)

Thanks all!

Rgds,

Scobey

I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox LT that I have towed twice behind my Class A.  I have experienced random situations where the transmission seems to come out of gear for a split second but then continues ok.  I took it by the dealership and they said the transmission computer needed resetting.  I have experienced the problem again since that time.  I am about to take it back in to let them see if they can get it to happen to them.  I realize it is a random thing so hopefully they know how to determine whether I have a problem without my having to take it on the road and then have more of a major problem.

I pulled my new Chevy Equinox from Michigan to Florida and then up to North Carolina and back to Mickigan! Towed like a dream.
How did you tell when it shifted out of gear? That sounds scary!  :eek:

Scott

This should be a "close out" on this topic. We went with the Roadmaster towing system and included the full Brakemaster for braking.

We just got back from a two-week trip from Tampa to Destin, FL, through Arkansas (stayed at Lake Chicot State Park just outside Lake Village which is very nice and clean although we tripped their circuit breakers a couple of times and the town water supply had a problem while we were there). Went on to Branson for a few days and then back through Memphis and Red Bay to visit Tiffin. Made a short stop at Callaway Gardens on the way home.

No problems with the towing system at all - except for one time when the Chevy was not lined up behind the coach exactly making the disconnect a might difficult.

We towed our 2011 Chevy Equinox for the first time and it will not track it's tow vehicle when turning a corner.  We took it to the dealer and they realigned both the back and front of the car.  It still will not track behind it's tow vehicle during turns.  Has anyone had this problem?

Is the steering wheel unlocked (key in accessory)? The front wheels have to be free to turn in order to track behind the coach. The Recreational Towing instructions are in your owner manuals - follow them precisely.

Could you be a bit more descriptive about "will not track"? What specifically happens?

If you mean the car is turning inside or outside the tracks of the motorhome that is usually a function of the length of the tow bar hitch. If it is turning inside the m/h there are extensions to your hitch that can be added but if it is turning outside the motorhome the hitch is too far back. Friends have a bicycle rack attached between the m/h and receiver for their toad and it makes the car swing wide.

I dingy tow my 2010 Equinox with no problems. The only tracking problem I have had is if both legs of the tow bar are not locked.
Re steering - ,for confidence try tieing a white cloth at the top of the steering wheel. It gives you a positive indication that the car is "steering" or following the RV.
Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom