Floating the Kern River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I got my long awaited fly fishing lessons last Monday.  I spent 4 hours fly fishing the Kern River with Guy Jeans, Guide and local fly shop owner on his 2 seater float boat.  I had a ball.  We were waiting until the weather calmed a bit and got onto the river before the snow melt off which makes this River a high powered fast moving Class 5 River rafting experience.  He introduced me to a couple of new "mending" techniques and it was hard to break old habits; but his ideas were good.  I have done lots of nymphing, but had not learned that you could let the nymph rig "swing" for 5 seconds after the line has straightened out.  Then he suggested I strip the rig back into the boat.  I usually just lift the rig back out of the water and put it in for the drift.  I caught several 12 inch Rainbows on the swing part of the drift and a couple on the stripping part.  I also caught (didn't land darn it) a really nice 16-18" on just the drift .  Got him right up to the drift boat and he flipped off.

Guy has also created a new nymph fly called "Kern Kandy"; which the trout LOVE.  It's #14 nymph with a bead head and bright pink sparkly filament that makes it look like an emerger.  He can't keep the things in stock.  It was great fun.  I'm going to try to copy the fly and get back down to the water's edge tomorrow.  Wahoo!!!

That's great Marsha! I can't wait to get on the water, but my nearest trout stream has several feet of snow on the banks.

Any photos to share?

That sounds like so much fun!  I've always wanted to learn to fly fish, looks like it could be relaxing!  (notice I said could...LOL)  We're off to Lake Pardee next week to fish.  We were told that they're hooking lots of trout and we're looking forward to it.  Nothing better than fresh trout and pancakes!!!  When we were younger we went backpacking up out of Strawberry and stayed in backpacking tents for 3 days.  Trying to keep our packs light, we didn't carry much in so ended up eating trout, trout for breakfast, trout for lunch and trout for dinner!  Luckily we love trout!!!

Guy posted some photos on the Kern River Flyfishing website, so I snagged them.  Not much to see....no pics of the fish; but fun anyway.

The last photo is of the floatboat we used; Guy is in the back and another local fly fisherman on the front.

Marsha~

Attachments

• MarshaOnTheKern.jpg
    MarshaOnTheKern.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
  • MarshaOnTheKern2.jpg
    MarshaOnTheKern2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 18
  • floatboat.jpg
    floatboat.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 28
Marie:  I thought of you the other day.  Guy, the guide, told me about a women's flyfishing group called "Sisters On The Fly".    http://www.sistersonthefly.com/  is their website.  Go have a look.  Besides fly fishing, they also do horse back riding and pull old vintage trailers to their fishing locations.  If we didn't have the DP, I'd jump on the band wagon and get a little trailer to go fishing with the gals.  The group apparently comes to Kernville, CA every Spring, so I plan to stop in and say hello and maybe fish with them.  Of course the water will be flowing full speed by that time.

4duckrus: I've been flyfishing for quite a while; but never really tried to perfect anything, just threw the line in the water and crossed my fingers.  My husband also fly fishes but doesn't enjoy it as much as I do, so I'm branching out doing my thing. 

Marsha~

Marsha,

I know about this group....it sounds so cool to me. In fact, I was thinking along the same lines as you. Oh well.......maybe we should invest in a little trailer and join the girls!  ;D

Marie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom