Young Newbie Family - please post your checklists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natasha163

Hi...our family holiday to the usa is nearing! We are renting a motorhome from el monte for 5 weeks and hitting the road with our 4 young kids from australia!

I was hoping that some of you may be able to share your checklists for breaking camp and for setting up camp, do you guys reguarly use a checklist and is there a specific order you like to do things?

I would like to do up a checklist to have in our rv for reference until things become a little old hat...don't want to be the one you see driving down the road with their awning still up  and the steps out!

Your input will be much appreciated! We will be renting a 32 ft c class motorhome with slide outs.

Thanks again!

Hi Natasha,

Click the Library button above and go to the Checklists area. You should find something that will help. These checklists were either created by forum members for their own use, or compiled from members' posts here in The RV Forum.

What a great holiday!  How old are your kids & what are you planning to visit?

Make sure to have a tech go over everything with you before you leave.  Take a notebook and jot down notes or as was suggested to us, video tape instructions. 

I think the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!

Natasha

One of the most important things you can do when leaving is do a final walk around your RV.... If you do this you will catch any electrical, water, sewer, satellite or TV antennas that may be up or attached.  Be aware that people will come up to you when you are leaving & it is very easy to get distracted from your routine.

We rented a few times before we purchased and (I can't stress this enough!) take notes when they're explaining how things work.  The first time we rented one we didn't check the black or grey tank valves and since we were dry camping, we never got to that compartment until it was time to dump them!  Well, what a mess...they were both pulled out with the cap on the bottom.  To drain them you have to remove the cap...we paid someone else to dump for us!!! UGH  When camping you have the normal household things (this is the order I use) Water, gas/electric, water heater, furnace/AC, jacks, awning, antenna/satelite dish, etc.  It helps me to go through each of these as I either get to camp or break camp.  Good luck on your adventure.  I think you'll find that people at cgs are friendly and willing to help if need be, just ask.  We stayed at a cg with our new MH and it was the first time we hooked up to cable tv.  Well, we couldn't get it to work!  We asked the girl at the front office if she knew anyone who worked on this type of thing...well, here comes her husband who comes in and shows us how to setup our remotes and got our tv's working for us.

Have a great time...and enjoy the US!! 

I also was going to say to always do a final walkaround.  In fact, we both do it and it's amazing how many things can get missed the first time.  Not often, but enough that the second person's walkaround is worth it.  My routine always starts next to the front door looking up and down all the way around and ending at the front door, including walking backward until I can see the roof to check it.  When I walk around the toad I'm not only eyeballing everything, but I touch all the connections to make sure they're solid and I rattle the tow bar "legs" to make sure nothing is loose.  If you have something like Pressure Pro on the tires, make sure all the valves are present.  Look at the safety cables to make sure they're in good condition - they can deteriorate if you drag the rear end and they get scraped.  [Even though you probably will not have a toad, I included it for the benefit of other readers.]

The other thing is to have a set walkaround routine inside the RV.  I start in the bedroom to make sure the closet doors are secure and then I work my way around the entire inside of the motorhome checking cabinets and doors and making sure nothing is lying out that should be stowed.  Remember that loose items can become flying missiles in a sudden stop!  Also, make sure everything inside the refrigerator is secure.  We have small kitchen curtain-style rods (Camping World set) that expand against the edges to keep things from rolling around inside.  Trust me, there's nothing worse than cleaning up spilled milk or a broken catsup bottle!  Make sure your refrigerator doors are really closed or you might end up with items flying out on a sharp curve (some have positive locks).

Jerry also has his specific routine for shutting down the entertainment components, computers, and utility hookups.  Each of you should make your own list and follow it until it becomes second nature.  Because we're not fulltimers and may not be in the motorhome for a few months we made laminated cards for the slide in/out procedures and hooking/unhooking the toad.  They're both important and sometimes we'll look at one another and say hmmm which step comes first.  Having the laminated cards helps make sure we do them in their proper sequence.  In these cases, it's not how we "like" to do the procedure, it's the "recommended" procedure of the manufacturer and what applies to one RV may not apply to another.  For example, RV manufacturers each have their own recommended sequence for opening and closing slides and leveling the motorhome.

You can look at all the checklists in the library as a start, but nothing takes the place of walking around with paper and pencil and making your own notes.  You're more likely to remember them after writing them down.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom