Just Retiired, Need Cell Service help to cut costs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Well I just retired and now I'm stressing about trying to change my life style!  First thing I want to be able to do is cut down on some of my cell service bills.  While I was working I had to have all the bells and whistles and now I don't.  I got used to an iphone and so I don't want to change that, but I'm looking for suggestions about plans?  Also, I've read a few times how some of you use your cellular service to tether to for your internet.  Right now I have Hughes Net at my stick house and I'm paying 89.00 per month.  I'd like to cut that out if possible.  Can someone please give me clear instructions to use my cell phone for my computers internet?  Thanks so much....

There are cell phones that can be tethered to a computer.  My Verizon phone allows me free internet access on my laptop via wi-fi.  You will still need to carry the internet for the phone for the additional 30 or so dollars a month.  Plans are so confusing and change from day to day it seems to shopping is the only way you will be able to determine costs.  BTY Verizon appears to be the number one choice for most RVers.

You can now tether with your iPhone with either Verizon or AT&T for a small additional charge. I think it runs about $20/mth.

You might want to talk with AT&T about some creative bundleing if available in your are. When I went to UVerse and bundled my cell service I was able to cancel the tethering and still use the phone tethered. I have also seen some pretty good deals with Verizion lately also so shop around looking especially at coverage where you will be RVing.

Most of the tethering plans only provide about 2 GB of data per month, so make sure that is enough for you before you sign up. And you will probably have to swap your current iphone for another model (newer iphone or one of the droids)  to get generic "hotspot (wifi) support.  Some drawbacks: a phone supply data services to a computer gets pretty hot, and you have to keep it plugged in or the battery dies quickly. And it's not always convenient to have the phone near the computer, e.g. you want to take the phone to the store but someone else needs to use the computer at home. Or wherever.

You might also consider using a USB modem, including a "Myfi" device which is a combined cell modem and wifi hotspot. Plans are available from $20-$60 per month, depending on your data volume.  I just swapped my USM modem for a Myfi and a 3 GB/month plan for $35 a month.

I find the DroidX works well. Yes these things suck a battery dry quickly, but if you are connected to your laptop the USB will supply all you need to run continuously.  As far as needing the phone while connected, you can add a second phone for $10 a month and still be way ahead of the game. BTW the Droid comes with unlimited data (unlimited meaning whatever they will allow without causing you grief) but for anyone but a Very high end user it wont be a problem. It even has a mini HDMI connector so you can download movies from Netfix, etc.  I've had mine for 6 months or so and Lovin it. ;D

Back
Top Bottom