Slide Locks Do we have 'em or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

So here's a new one (I think) for you guys.  When we first purchased our MH my DH says he could hear all of the locks lock into place.  After a very short while we noticed that the bedroom slide locks didn't make any noise anymore and we couldn't tell if we were locking them or not.  Today I took the MH into a local RV dealership that works on Winnebago's and this is what I was told.  The switches are there, but they're not hooked up to anything (the 2 bedroom slide lock switches).  There isn't any juice going to them.  So, when I got home I called Winnebago and gave them my Serial number and this is what I was told, my MH only has 3 locks.  2 on the large front slides and 1 on one of the bedroom slides.  The slide with the bed on it does not have a lock.  We have a switch, just not a lock.  I'm in a state of confusion...what should I do?  Do we even need the locks on the smaller slides?  Have any of you had trouble with those slides taking off on you?  We were told when we bought it that we had 4 locking devices for all 4 slides.  Since we purchased it from Camping World out of state we'd probably have to go back there if we wanted anyone to do anything about this....!!

My '03 has two slides, no slide locks -- my MH came with a fabric strap to "secure" the larger slide but I never used it as I figured it would only rip the wood trim off if the slide moved. My large galley/lounge slide has crept out a couple of inches once in over 60k miles. I see no real use for "slide locks" myself...

There  are various mechanisms for keeping slides in place while traveling, some automatic and some relying on a switch and still others requiring mechanical aids. I'd rely on Winnebago to supply the right equipment and follow their instructions.

All my slides have an automatic lock as part of the motor.  Maybe your bed slide is the same.

Hi Mikie,

We do not have a lock on our bed slide and were told it is not necessary due to size/weight/design. We have never had a problem with that slide creeping. If you check your manual I believe that it discusses them in depth and may help clerify the lack of lock as well. I wouldn't believe what the salesman told you about how many locks, some people speak belief as fact, I would trust your manual and Winnebago.

I have locks on my Full Side slide but none on the drivers side kitchen slide. I am not sure all slides need the locks because of design features. I know my Carrilite 5er had slide locks that you manually had to release by reaching up over the slide and release the locks. One was missing when we bought the trailer and it wasn't long before the other got bent up because of a brain lapse.

4ducksrus said:
...when I got home I called Winnebago and gave them my Serial number and this is what I was told, my MH only has 3 locks.  2 on the large front slides and 1 on one of the bedroom slides.  The slide with the bed on it does not have a lock.  We have a switch, just not a lock.

If the slide was engineered without a lock, then I wouldn't be concerned.  I'm a bit puzzled why you have a switch that is non-functional though.  Like Paul, we don't have slide locks either and have never had a problem with slide creep.

John Canfield said:
If the slide was engineered without a lock, then I wouldn't be concerned.  I'm a bit puzzled why you have a switch that is non-functional though.  Like Paul, we don't have slide locks either and have never had a problem with slide creep.

This is what's bothering me.  If it was designed not to have the lock then why the switch?

Dar said:
Hi Mikie,

We do not have a lock on our bed slide and were told it is not necessary due to size/weight/design. We have never had a problem with that slide creeping. If you check your manual I believe that it discusses them in depth and may help clerify the lack of lock as well. I wouldn't believe what the salesman told you about how many locks, some people speak belief as fact, I would trust your manual and Winnebago.
Dar, do you have a switch for the bed slide?

4ducksrus said:
This is what's bothering me.  If it was designed not to have the lock then why the switch?
Does seem kind of odd to have a dummy switch. Did you have a chance to clerify with Winnie when you called, you have me curious now. I remember the rep telling us that only one bedroom slide had a lock on the 40U when we were at the show and I think the reason he told us that is because we inquired as to why there was only one lock switch for the bedroom but my memory could be wrong (it's failed me in the past ::)).

4ducksrus said:
Dar, do you have a switch for the bed slide?
Just the extend/retract, no lock switch. Our main slide has a seperate locking switch.

Dar,
I couldn't remember so I had to go out and look...LOL  We have separate lock switches for the 2 main slides...then, for the bedroom we have 1 switch that says "locks" on it, and that's where our confusion was.  I think we assumed that because it said "locks" that they both had them.  This is where it gets sticky...the Winnebago Rep told me that we do/should have a lock on the bedroom slide (with the dresser) but, not on the slide with the bed.  The Service Rep told me that when he tested the switch there wasn't any power to it.  Now, should I push the envelope and make them fix it, or is this something that really isn't necessary?  Thanks for your advise... 

"We were told when we bought it that we had 4 locking devices for all 4 slides.  Since we purchased it from Camping World out of state we'd probably have to go back there if we wanted anyone to do anything about this....!!"

We bought our first MH from CWorld.  At the bottom of the purchase contract it stated that CWorld was not responsible for anything the salesman said!  Maybe the salesman was mistaken about the number of slide locks.

4ducksrus said:
The Service Rep told me that when he tested the switch there wasn't any power to it.  Now, should I push the envelope and make them fix it, or is this something that really isn't necessary? 

IMO I would have them fix it. The way I look at it is, if it was not necessary to have it then the manufacturer would not waste the time and money to install it to begin with. Maybe just schedule a service stop over on the way out on your next trip.

Well, yesterday...I went out to clean the MH and get it ready for our trip this week to Lake Pardee.  When I opened up all the slides I just for S&G's I pushed the button to unlock the bedroom slide and low and behold....it made a sound!  Then, later when I was done, I closed it all back up and again I locked all the slides (the 3 of them) and guess what?  It did it again.  So, they said we didn't have a lock, but now it seems to be working!  They said the switch didn't have any juice....well, if that's the case why is it sounding like a lock mechanism moving?  This is a strange one for sure!  I'm going to call the service rep this morning and see what she says about this, I'll keep you posted...thanks!

Sounds like a safety interlock.  Slide not in all the way means lock won't work.  Sometimes just cycling the mechanism solves the problem.

If you have a lock on the slide you should be able to see it.  In the bedroom if the slide doesn't go all the way to full ceiling height you should be able to stand on a step ladder and look at the top of the slide while the slide is in.  With the lock in place you will see the lock.  If it has a lock you will also see the cutout in the slide roof where the lock is located even if the lock is not engaged.  If you are not able to inspect the top of the slide while it is in then look at the top of the slide from the outside while the slide is out.  You should be able to see the cutout in the slide for the lock.  Also on the outside of the slide is a drain hole for each slide lock compartment.  If you can't find the drain then the slide doesn't have a lock.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom