Travelling with a flat screen tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bry736

Ok, so we are new to this forum. Very first post, new to RV ing... We have just ordered a Sportsmen s290rbs. We don't have any idea how to travel with a tv on the entertainment stand. There aren't any hook ups or anything there. What would you suggest? Also if anyone has experience with this trailer, did we get an okay first starter one? Hoping for some info and help. Thanks in advance.
Mava

Not sure just what you mean by "a tv on the entertainment stand".  Does the TT already have a "stand" or is this something you will be adding yourself?  Your TV will have to either be mounted or stored whenever moving.  There are various mounting brackets, but most importantly, the TV has to be secured in some way when moving.  I recommend you go back to your dealer (or any dealer) and look at units that have a TV already installed for ideas on what to do.  The least expensive way would be to simply set the TV on the table to view and find a good place to store it when moving (beds are a common choice for this).

If your TT did not come with any kind of TV or TV antenna, you'll need something like this Winegard to get regular TV off-air programming.  This antenna includes a built-in amplifier and requires 12 VDC.    It is mounted on the roof - installation directions are included.  I can't help you with specifics as to mounting as you will have to decide where it would be best to mount and determine where roof ribs (rafters) and any electrical wiring might be located in order to avoid them.  The antenna will have an internal control that mounts to the ceiling directly below the antenna for raising/lowering and rotating the antenna.  Your TV probably has a digital tuner already, but if not, you will need a converter box as most TV broadcast is now digital.  Keep in mind, many areas where one might camp don't receive usable TV signals.  Some private campgrounds offer cable TV (probably additional charge) and all you would need for that is a way to connect a cable from the source into the TT and to the TV.

Another option is to use satellite (DirecTV or Dish TV) in which case you will need a satellite receiver (and account) and something like this satellite dish or a portable dish tripod kit.  Satellite is discussed in several threads so search the forum.  If you have satellite TV at home, you should be able to take your home receiver with you and not have to set up a separate account.  Keep in mind satellite can be a PITA to set up.  There are far more elaborate systems that will even acquire the satellite(s) automatically, but these are far more expensive and probably not something you might pursue with this particular TT.

Lastly, you can use a DVD player or VCR to watch movies or whatever and all this would take is the same thing it would take at home - plus a way to secure them when moving.

As for your TT choice, I cannot help you with that.

Welcome to the RV Forum, Mava, and congratulations on the new RV and the fun you are about to have.

I gather the tv in this trailer is not mounted to a wall or anything like that?  In that case, you are going to need to "package" it somehow. A common technique is to wrap it in a blanket and put it on the bed, but travel trailers have been known to bounce pretty severely during travel. With the bed in the front, motion ought to be minimal, but I'd still wedge it in securely.

Well, you have basically two options.. Now in most motor homes and trilers these days (All but the most basic trailers) there will be a teleivison FACTORY mounted, it is very well secured and there is no danger (Assuming it's properly installed) of it falling down.. Not that a few reports of just that have not appeared but on the odds it's a fraction of a percent and usually caught in time .

If, on the other hand you wish to use a free standing TV.. The easiest thing is to remove it to a place of safety, Perhaps atop the bed, when traveling, Secure it there with travel straps (packing or lashing straps) so it does not slide off.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I meant entertainment area. This area has a spot for the television to sit but no straps or wall mounts. I think that we will do what a lot of people do, as in just secure it well and wrap it up everytime we go on the road. Thanks again for your replies. Am looking forward to camping for a few weeks this summer!!!

We bought a TV to use in the outside entertainment area of our motorhome.(Sometimes set it up by a fire, etc).  We pack it back in the original box when we travel.  Takes only a minute and its well secured.  Just think, it was shipped across the country from manufacturer all the way to the retail store in that box.  Just an idea.

Two things you can do.  First do you have a swivel base for the TV?  If yes, then simply take a couple of wood screws and screw the TV's base to the swivel.  Then when traveling, get a cam action nylon strap, one of those 1 inch wide jobs and strap the TV to the base.  Our living room TV has been like this since 2005 with no problems.  Before that in out TT days we would take the LCD TV and simply lay it on the bed face down.  It never moved once inch from where i out it, no matter how rough the roads were.

Just thought I'd add that we got moving blankets from a local U Haul facility. Moving companies are another source. Not only are they handy for protecting fragile items; we also use them as insulation in our "tank" compartment.

I went online and found some pictures for the trailer you are buying.  It appears that there is a mount area on the wall which would be good design, would mean that area is reinforced. Another option is as mentioned.  Screw the base down.  However, the wall mount is the better. 

KZ makes a nice unit.  If it works for you you made a great choice.  Have fun.

We carry our TV on the bed. 

bry736 said:
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I meant entertainment area. This area has a spot for the television to sit but no straps or wall mounts. I think that we will do what a lot of people do, as in just secure it well and wrap it up everytime we go on the road. Thanks again for your replies. Am looking forward to camping for a few weeks this summer!!!
How do you plan to use the TV?  It's a pretty dumb device without a signal of some sort and besides my earlier post no one, including you, has addressed this part of the equation, only how to mount or stow it.

Back
Top Bottom