12 volt vs 100 volt via inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveRocket

We may be spending quite a lot time in our RV and a lot of that may be boondocking.  I wondered what are the opinions on the above. I know that certain appliances do not like Modified Sine Wave inverters like some battery chargers etc What I would like to work out is would it be better to buy a 12 volt TV and DVD player or 110 and run it though an inverter. I am pretty sure an electric blanket should be 12 volt. What about a slow cooker 12 or 110? Hair dryer is another one that springs to mind. We have most of these things in our house is it worth buying 12 volt versions. We have an inverter and generator and I am researching solar power for the batteries. Can some of you full timers weigh in 

regards Steve

Generally, any pure resistive load like a slow cooker will work just fine on a MSW inverter.  The devices that have trouble with a MSW are some clocks, and especially electronic electric blanket controls.  We run everything in our motorhome on the MSW inverter and just reset the few clocks that run a bit fast.  Oh, our electric toothbrush doesn't like the MSW, but the previous one didn't care.

SteveRocket said:
We may be spending quite a lot time in our RV and a lot of that may be boondocking.  I wondered what are the opinions on the above. I know that certain appliances do not like Modified Sine Wave inverters like some battery chargers etc What I would like to work out is would it be better to buy a 12 volt TV and DVD player or 110 and run it though an inverter. I am pretty sure an electric blanket should be 12 volt. What about a slow cooker 12 or 110? Hair dryer is another one that springs to mind. We have most of these things in our house is it worth buying 12 volt versions. We have an inverter and generator and I am researching solar power for the batteries. Can some of you full timers weigh in 

regards Steve
Best value for the dollar is the inverter and 120VAC TV.  But remember that you need a pretty large battery bank and some method of recharging them to run any 120VAC appliances.  Remember 10 amps of 120VAC power is about 100 amps of 12 VDC power.  Meaning that you could run a single 12VDC battery dead pretty fast.  I don't know of anyone using an electric blanket while boondocking.  As for the hair dryer get a generator.

hi thanks for the replys  Yes I have a 4500 watt generator to charge the batteries and run the coach.  Seems the way to go is 110 and an inverter. I have 2 new deep cycle batteries at 115 amp hours and intend to add a third. I think I will also buy a second inverter maybe a 5000 watt. I have come across an offer on one. I was thinking about a 12 volt charger but it seems my onboard generator would deal with the charging ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom