Who makes the best 5th wheel auto slide hitch for short bed truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DieselJay

Wondering your thoughts on this subject, I've been told it's pull rite super slide do you agree?  THANKS

Do the slide hitches weigh more than a regular fifth wheel hitch?  Also will this additional weight need to be figured in the weight calculations?

i have the pullright and i love it,  i also got a great deal on it,  some might argue you don't need a slider or just get a manuel slider, but i like not having to worry about it i make a turn and the hitch does the work you really cant tell its doing anything either there is no sounds or anything that i have noticed, i also like the fact that when i remove the hitch there is nothing in the bed of the truck, there is just 4 holes the pins drop into.  i am not sure about its weight campared to a non slider i think it might be heavier. any weight you add needs to be figured into the total truck weight. the only drawback i have noticed is that you can only pull a 5th wheel trailer that has the capture plate so if you want to pull different 5er's than you might have a problem but if you only plan on pulling yours than it's really not a problem hope this helps

I also have the superglide. Its a great piece of mind and super easy to use. The only downfall of having this hitch is that a capture plate has to be installed on the king pin. When this is done, it eliminates anyone who does not have a superglide hitch from hooking up to ur 5'er. So if u were broke down on the road and needed to get the trailer moved, it would either have to be towed or find another Joe who has a superglide. And it does weigh alot more, i dont know how much more, but it is more. If u lan on removing it frmo the bed, i would rig up a wiinch and frame of some sort in ur garage to get it out, seriously. The weight and the bulkyness and the 4 machined pins it needs to slide over make it a 3 man job. let me know if i have described evrything for you.

Is it worth spending the extra money on, so if you already have one do you have any regrets on the auto, or would you say just go with a manual slide and deal with a little more hassle? Or is this piece of mind worth the extra? So far I think it's worth it, but not really big on the king pin plate making only towable by this hitch could lead to big problems in a break down situation!

i feel it is worth it but i got a great deal on my pullright, pullright does sell an adapter for the fifth wheel plate so it can adapt to a standard fifth wheel, also many tow trucks do not use a typical 5th wheel hitch but rather a cup design that holds the pin and wont interfere with the capture plate, don't take these as written in stone, on our tow trucks we have one truck with a 5th wheel plate but the other has the cup design.  it really all depends on your feelings about the auto slide vs manuel slide if you are religious about moving the pin back when making tight turns then the manuel might be worth it, i like not having to worry about it, when i back in my driveway or a tight campsite not having to get out and move levers to slide hitch forward or back is nice i just maneuver the trailer and its all done but that's just my 2cents

What length truck beds are we talking about in this thread?  I am looking for a fifth wheel slider for my 5' 7" bed.

While it is an old thread, to the questions about the PullRite SuperGlide's weight, I've seen from 318 to 345 lbs listed.  In comparison, my conventional Reese R16k is listed at 98 lbs. Fact that I'm in a 1/2 ton Silverado and have had to keep a close (closer?) eye to the weight, I went with the Reese and a Reese Sidewinder to place the pivot point farther back.

Tom

I would want the Sidewinder for the miniscule 5'7" short bed. Auto sliders generally provide  only about 14" of extra room, which is barely enough to make the short bed into a standard (6'7") bed, which is still too short for 100% trouble free maneuvering.  The Sidewinder pin box adds 22". Actually, the 5'7" bed could use both a slider and the Sidewinder! Not sure if that's practical or not.

Do you really need it?  I have a short bed RAM with a manual slider, gone from WI to TX, TX to FL, FL back to WI, and have never needed.  I bought it because I was told I would need it. So far, that has not been the case.

Boy this old thread started in 2011 and has long dead since 2012. Looks like more of the same answers  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom