Do you have steps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5n2mom

Did you attach stairs/steps (what kind), if so do you leave them out at night?  I not, do you step up by something besides a milkcrate? Thanks

I have electric steps.  They stay out all the time, except when driving of course.  We bought an additional fold up step from CW that we also use as it's a big jump from the last step to the ground and we have an older dog, to say nothing of an older RVer...LOL.

We have electric steps (actually only 1 step) which are manually operated via switch inside stairwell.  However, between my DW's bad knees and the need to level the MH, sometimes the 1st step is a bit too much for her.  We got one of those $10 folding plastic step stools which works fine.  When folded, it fits in the space between the handrail and wall in the stairwell.  We leave our step out all the time when camped - stool too if needed.

Folks, I think we are talking about a truck-camper here. That might make a big difference in your answers.

Am I wrong or just meddling?

Yes thanks, for the truck-camper..I've looked at rv accessory sites, but its hard to tell how they really mount- I'd like to know if any fold back up into the camper- if some have  handrails, if anyone has tried the Debo type and if that was enough (I am short)  The milk crate is fine for a weekend but will get old for the summer :)

First, if you stick with the milk crate put plywood on top.  The plastic grating can crack and give way.

When we had a TC we had a drop down step, nbut based on the site, sometimes we needed an extra, picked up a step with four foldout legs to make up the difference.  We had a rubbermaid style for a bit, but it was notorious for flipping and wind moving it. 

I had friends with the accordian style sides that hooked on, but I never liked those.

If it's appropriate and you need to get a single foldup step, I highly recommend this aluminum one from Camping World.  It's very stable, doesn't slide around, and won't fall apart if you step on it (like the plastic ones).  It's folds to almost nothing and is, therefore, easy to store.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-folding-step/38293

ArdraF

The last camper I got came with a set of Scissors steps... If I am going to set up camp I use them. Before I had them I made a step that hooked to the bumper and fit into the Trailer hitch holes and used a wooden box to get up to it. I still use the bumper step if stopping for a few minutes. It is of such size that it doesn't interfere with the scissors steps. My truck is fairly high (4X4) and I have a 4 step model. Google scissors steps and you can see some...

our camper has steps that slide in under the floor we loose some storage but it is nice to have sturdy steps that are accessible at any time

Attachments

• DSCN2196.JPG
    DSCN2196.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom