adding a wall in bunk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impireui

I want to add a wall in the overhead bunk in my class c so both of my kids can have there own little area how would i go about fastening the frame  to the roof ceiling without going all the way through and getting leaks?.

The ceiling is typically 2"-2.5" thick.  The paneling on the inside is probably 3/16" plywood with some kind of fabric glued to it.  Since most of the stress on a joint between the ceiling and a wall would be side or shear stress, screws would not have to penetrate more than 1/2" or so.  If I were to to something similar, I would probably secure two strips of trim along either side of the wall and let the wall float between them.  This should cause minimal damage to the ceiling in case you want to remove the wall later.  But, is it necessary to build a wall between them?  Would a curtain suffice?

A curtain would probably work but my kids would tear it to shreds i think ill go with the strips and just make it a removable thing. like you said let it float between the 2 great idea thanks.

impireui said:
...how would i go about fastening the frame  to the roof ceiling without going all the way through and getting leaks?.

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine built a nice cabinet to hang in his TT's bathroom for some extra storage. The cabinet came out beautiful - he's quite the craftsman! He did, however, get 1 measurement wrong - the length of the screws compared to the thickness of the wall. When he was done, his daughter had a a few spots in her bunk bed to hang up her Barbie's clothes!

Back
Top Bottom