rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: MP3 for music and books?  (Read 13177 times)

Pat

• ---
Re: MP3 for music and books?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
rh:  I rip everything at 128 bit.  That way I don't have to remember to correct anything.

My external backup drive is 250gb.  My internal is 120gb, so I have the music backed up on both.  The books are only on the external.  I have been considering getting another external backup drive (my computer doesn't have expansion slots), on which I would probably do a second backup of the books.

In order to rip the cassette tapes, you have to play them and copy them via analog.  Doesn't seem worth it.  That's why I'm limited to CD books only.  Anyway, I'm still barely making a dent in the going-on 250 books I have so far. 

I have a PC, not a Mac, and, of course, I have iTunes for my iPod.  However, I couldn't figure out how to rip and code the library audio books with iTunes.  How are you doing it?  I have always enjoyed using Musicmatch.  It has some klutzy shortcomings, but it also has some nifty features and it does the job adequately.   The unlicensed "free" version is so slow, it's not worth having.  Anyway, the license is only $20. 

Any of the automated labeling features require going online so the program can look up the title from some code on the CD.  I don't bother.  I just type in the title once and name the disk something like "Disk 01 of 10" or whatever is appropriate.  Then Musicmatch takes the book title and disk title and incorporates them into each unique track name, which it automatically creates by numbering the tracks.  What it does wrong, though is to omit the "0" before the first 9 tracks, so they don't sort right in some instances.  I need to correct the setting for that.  I'd love to find a filename management program where I can do a mass search and replace to correct all the inadequate tracknames.  It would have to work on partial filenames and not distort the rest of the filename, though.  Norton used to have a file manager that could do it.

It's just too bad that the iPod can't bookmark automatically. The Jukeboxes have no problem taking up where they leave off.  Plus the iPod menu system doesn't drill down far enough.  It needs a "disk" layer within the playlist menu. 

Well, today I drop the second 15 books off at the library.  Then I'll go to the other branch to see what I've missed.  I'm going to be 110, lying in a nursing home bed, listening to these books, my collection is growing so fast and big.

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny