How to Get Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coachk34

How do you all go about getting gas for your vehicles when pulling a trailer?  Do the places the semi's use also have gas and not just diesel?  Or do you try to maneuver around the tight set of gas pumps for cars?  Im sure this sounds like a very silly and basic question, but is something we need to know.  Thanks in advance for the help.

We use diesel, but try to use Flying Js whenever possible.  They have separate RV islands that are (a little) easier to maneauver around with a trailer.  Otherwise, for gas, any gas station with room around the islands will work.  Look for gas at some of the larger chain grocery stores like Safeway, Albertsons, Fry's, etc.  They usually have large areas for the pumps.

Ned...another little tid-bit of info. Often the flying J's are loaded with RV'ers trying to cram into the RV lanes. Many times there are adjacent stations with prices just slightly higher than Flying J's. If a station around the corner is a couple pennies more expensive, they are often overlooked. However, I would rather avoid the crowd and pay an extra dollar for a tank of gas. Many times they have just as much room as the Flying J's. And....whenever we are unhooked I try to fill up before reattaching the rig. Also, many stations have pumps behind the station for trucks and trailers, keep your eyes open. And I always try to  make sure I have an out...backing up through the pumps is most unnerving.
Good luck, Jim

Yes, the FJs can be crowded, but the $.04/gal. discount (with the RV card) is enticing when your're pumping 50-100 gallons.

Yes, having to back out is a real pain, especially when you're towing :)

coachk34 said:
How do you all go about getting gas for your vehicles when pulling a trailer?? Do the places the semi's use also have gas and not just diesel?? Or do you try to maneuver around the tight set of gas pumps for cars?? Im sure this sounds like a very silly and basic question, but is something we need to know.? Thanks in advance for the help.

That is a pain with a trailer.    I have a few hints:

1.  Figure that you are going to refuel outside of towns, not inside.  Rural and exurban stations have more space and better approaches.

2.  As you approach the station, plan your exit.  If you cannot see how you can get out, don't go in.

3.  Pick a pump island as far outside the station as you can to ease your turn in and out again.

4.  When you choose an island move to the far pump even if you block the near pump.  If you don't some clown will come in, park at that pump, block your exit and then wander around the station for the next 20 minutes.

5.  Because you are blocking a whole island, pump your gas and get out of the way as quickly as possible.

Carl gives sage advice (as usual). We have a gas motorhome and tow a car, so are in the same boat you are.

We never go to Flying J - the gas pumps are far too crowded  all of the time. Rarely are they the only low-priced station around.

We pretty much ignore stations that orient the pump lanes towards the convenience store - too congested on the exit side. The exception is those that have a far outside lane and space to drive around the rear of the store to an exit. If I don't see that configuration right away, we pass up the station.  Unfortunately, the "towrd the store" orientation is rapidly becoming the most common type.

We plan our fuel stops for smaller towns or the outskirts of town, as Carl suggests. And ignore price differences of a few pennies in favor of easier access.  I'm confident of my driving skills and have taken the motorhome in many tight places on and off road, but it's not worth the aggravation to try to save a dollar on fuel (our typical fill-up is 50 gals in a 75 gallon tank, so it is literally a $1.00). 

Thanks for the great advice!!  Guess I was just hoping it would be a little easier, I dont want to be a bother to the single vehicles.  Ive drove a school bus for several years, so im confident Ill be able to get in  and out with no problems.  Thanks Again.

While it is only common courtesy to pump and move as Carl suggests and which I endorse, let's not forget that autos have far more choices as to which pumps they can use, and common sense should tell them that we're not just topping off with $10 or $20 worth of fuel - more like $150 or more, so the wait might be significant. Heck, we've all seen people pump a few gallons, then spend 5 minutes washing all their windows, then go inside and do they're weekly shopping, buy (and scratch) lotto tickets - all while sitting at the pump. Now THAT'S inconsiderate! 

Back
Top Bottom