Sorry, yet more questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesmiths

So, I think I've got the way we are going to do our visas ..... but I'm afraid I have a load more questions!

1.  Can you definitely use a mailbox address to register a title in Florida?  Are there any other states you can do this?

2.  Our UK driving licences state we can both tow up to 7700lbs or drive up to 16500lbs but that is going to limit us to what trailer/RV we get.  Does this really matter?  I am sure most people don't bother about this but I was wondering if we should?

3.  I have seen mentioned that perhaps we should go to South Dakota and get a driving licence there - how hard is the test?  Will this then give us greater driving/towing capacity?  And can we register a title there with a mailbox address?

I seem to be going round and round in circles trying to find out if it is even possible to do what we want to do ... I am sure it must be, but I am just not quite sure how!

Thank you knowledgeable people! 

Take a deep breath, it's all doable one way or another. Remember, may others have done this, and I'm sorry to harp on reading the other topics here and the articles in the Visitors to the USA section of our library.

I'll leave others more qualified to answer (1) and (2).

I wasn't aware (or had forgotten) about the weight limit on a UK driving license.

Does this really matter?

Probably will in the event of an accident or if you're stopped by the long arm of the law. If it's stated clearly on the license, then you could be deemed to not have a valid license if you're driving over weight, and therefore you're driving illegally. Not having a valid license could also invalidate your insurance.

Yes you can use a mail box address to register in Florida ,I did in 2008. but they wont if i remember correctly send on the title deed to a mail box.
I bought my RV at Lazy Days and got them to register it using my mailbox address but got the title deed sent back to them and collected it from Lazy Days.
Be aware that when you register in Florida they use your birth month as the Re registration month so if you buy as i did in January, my birthday being in June
i had to re register by the end of June. I was not aware of this at the time of buying and was thousands of miles from Florida when i became aware of it.
The Re registration documents were sent to my address in the UK, A phone call to Lazy Days sorted it out for me they  registered it for me and sent the paper
work back to me at the camp ground i was at.
I was touring the USA for 12 months at the time on my way to Alaska

BTW please don't apologize for asking questions; The collective knowledge and experience of forum members and staff, and their willingness to share, is why we've been around for 18+ years.

As an Englishman living in California I would say that you would find the driving test quite easy.  I took mine in California, passed first time and you can get free from DMV a booklet to study the written test. I took the driving test and compared to the UK it was easy. I even took the written test for a motorcycle at the same time as my car test and passed that too. I think the American driving laws are more common sense than the UK. By the way I am not a great driver by any standards.

SteveRocket,

Just curious if CA DMV took your UK license. They do that automatically if you move from another state and they issue a CA license, but don't know about someone coming from another country. The reason I ask is that I haven't been able to find our old-style UK licenses for years, and every time I start looking my other half tells me that DMV took them. Since that was over 30 years ago, I don't recall.

Hi Tom,  no they didn't take mine. I do not think they asked for it as I was regarded as a new driver. My UK license was valid for a year (I think). I always intended to go back to the UK frequently so I wanted to keep my UK License. I never did go back at least for the last 7 years lol. UK licences now last till you are 65 and then you have to renew. You may be able to inquire at DLMV in Swansea to see if you are still  licenced

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have a relative working at DVLA, so I can get the latest info and even a replacement old-style license. The old one was valid until aged 70. I've been back to the UK countless times over the years, and always use my CA license. I just hate losing or misplacing anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom