Getting back into it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

270win

Several years ago my wife and I bought a used (03') 28'Sunny Brook TT.  We loved it but it had a rear bedroom and front kitchen so when the kids came along it wouldn't work...plus, for us, camping with a newborn was not fun.  So we sold it.  Fast forward, the oldest is 10 and the youngest is 5.  A friend of mine has an 03' Antiqua hybrid that he isn't using so we have been taking it camping lately.  After several trips we're getting the itch (BIG TIME) to buy another camper.

We know we want bunks, but we're undecided on whether to get a 5th wheel or a TT this time.  ! have a 99' F350 CC 4x4 7.3 6spd, but its a short bed so I'm hearing we would have to use a slider hitch.  Are they a pain to use?  We're leaning heavily toward used units but I'm trying to figure out which ones are quality and what to avoid by way of certain brands.  I'm tempted to just find another SunnyBrook used and buy it as we were VERY satisfied with the quality and features. 

We also will use out camper all year round, down here in Georgia the winters are cold but snow is usually not an issue.  We've been camping twice in the past 6 weeks...

Anyway, any input is welcome.  i'm not looking to flame anyone's camper so maybe naming names of brands here isn't a good idea.  But a PM of any bad experiences would be good, I think...as long as that doesn't violate any forum rules.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I have a 35 foot 2010 sunset creek by sunny brook....My wife and I love it. I ve  had no problems with this tt so far. But from what I understand there a many well made brands.  I wish you luck and from the post I have read here there will be some good knowledgeable people here to help you out.

If you go with a 5th wheel, you won't necessarily "need" a slider hitch, though it would be highly recommended (for peace of mind if nothing else).  Many newer model 5th wheels (since probably mid 2000's or so...maybe earlier) have been building the front end of the 5th wheels with short bed pickup's in mind.  They have a better turning radius so slider hitches are not needed.  However, it would still be good if you can afford it, because you never know when that one time you might need it comes.  A slider hitch is not difficult to use, but it is an extra step in the process.

The 99 F-350 is a great truck, but it is getting a bit old.  Be mindful of the weights when you start looking at either kind of trailer.  With the two kids, maybe pets??, gear, etc., weight will add up very quick. 

Thanks for the replies. 

In talking a bit more about which way to go, maybe a 5th wheel would be a good next step in campers...give us something to look forward to moving up to.  I'm slowly narrowing down manufacturers.  I like Sunnybrook based on past experience.  So far I've been impressed with what I've seen by Keystone too.  I see lots of Forrest River, anyone have any experience with them?

Yeah, I know the truck is a bit dated.  I've had a few of the newer (to me) 6.0 PSD's and I had LOTS of issues.  Since I have a full shop, I decided I would go back to the 7.3/6spd and just keep it in good shape.  I have three of them now, I haul cars, our boats and equipment trailers etc. with them and they're just great trucks.  I still get 18mpg around town unloaded to boot.  How has the 6.4 been for you?  My friend that does boat hauling says he gets no more than 12mpg unloaded...but it does haul a load very well.

We also have a 99' 2500 Suburban 454 4x4 that we could use as well.  Another plus for a TT would be having the option to use the truck or the 'burban.

I have a Forest River (Wildcat) and really love it.  Of course it's just me and the wife, so no bunks.  But Forest River does make a nice bunk 5th wheel.

I love my truck.  I had a 2003 5.4L that was also one of the best vehicles I ever owned.  125,000 miles and was never in the shop for anything.  But it was not up to pulling the 5th wheel when we traded in the TT.  I was a little hesitant to get the 6.4L based on the reports, but I took a chance.  I got this one used with 25,000 miles on it, and at 27,000, sure enough it blew the radiator.  Ford replaced it, and the thermostat, and I have not had any problems with it since (knocking on wood).  I now have over 53,000 miles.  It pulls this 5th wheel fantastic.  I have pulled it from Houston to Branson, and on to Omaha and back to Houston, as well as numerous shorter trips around East Texas.  I love the way it pulls and everything else about it.  I am really hoping it gives me at least what my previous truck did. 

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted.

I've been in and around a few fifth wheels, and as far as bunks go it's hard to beat the room you get in a fifth wheel... unless you get a sliding bunkhouse in a travel trailer I guess.

Newer fifth wheels get what, up to 85 degrees on a turning angle?

Yeah, the turning radius is a big bonus to the 5ver for sure...as is tow-ability.  We looked at a Montana 314 bunk house and a Keystone Larado BH, both in 5th wheels and the space is just amazing.  Still, I think we're going to go TT this time so we can use either my truck or my wife's Suburban.  Still looking at manufacturers and searching known issues.

Thanks for the Forrest River report, they have a great forum too. 

RV shopping most of the day today.  I'm slowly narrowing down what I want.  I was looking at only used units at first, but as the price range has increased I'm now looking at some new units too.  I found an 06' Jayco 31BHDS and an 06' Wildwood 31QBSS that I liked.  Of course being used, they aren't perfect.  I also found an 09' Outback 30BHQ that was much lighter and in perfect condition but also MUCH more expensive.  There are several new units that cost less than the Outback...but it does have some features that the new ones don't have...but it's not new.  I'm starting to get tired.  Too many choices... ;D 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom