Equalizer set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahuster

Are the sockets where the spring arms mount to the hitch head supposed to be fixed? Or are they supposed to move slightly as the trailer makes sharp turns? When setting up my hitch I had to loosen the spring arm sockets to get the proper angle to mount the arms on the L-brackets. After backing in and unhitching I noticed one socket was angled farther out than the other. I'm wondering if I didn't retighten the bolt enough or is it designed to move as needed when turning/backing? I think the instructions say it should be tightened to min 45lbs, which seems low compared to the other hardware.

Yes, they move. As you turn, they must move since the bars are fixed to the trailer tongue. On a left turn, for example, the driver's side socket will move away from the hitch head and the passenger side socket will move toward the hitch head (both moving towards the driver's side of the vehicle). If you back into a campsite or your driveway and the truck and TT are not perfectly in line, the sockets will be offset. The pressure of the moving socket on the fixed hitch head is part of the sway control.

Back
Top Bottom