WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will repeat, this was not Wal Mart's policy, the store being referenced is in Florida City and therefore comes under Florida City law which does not allow overnight parking outside of a RV park any where in the city. I hope that clarifies the situation. BTW Florida City council enacted the ordinance because of RVers making the Florida City Wal Mart a campground. At times, especially when there was a NASCAR race and during the peak tourist months, regular customers of that Wal Mart were having a problem finding parking spaces. RVers spilled out of the Wal Mart parking area into adjacent private properties setting up camp like they owned the place. Most RVers I meet are very nice people who respect others rights and property but, when RVers pull into a parking lot and put out slides, letting jacks down and the awning out, it doesn't surprise me that cities react.

jspedigo5 said:
This is my "hometown" walmart and u have to visit it to fully understand the the original posters frustration. I dont think the complaint was about the overnight stay but more about being treated rudely. It  takes close to an hour to get through chec kout

I am not American. I am buying RV in us in May. Do I understand this properly?

I am not allowed to park in this store if I am planning to stock for holiday and need to do large shopping which takes me more than 3 hours? This is not logical to me. Don't us retail outlets need the customers to spent money there?

I am not talking about staying there over night, just to shop, have a lunch or coffee and not to be forced rush my shopping.
This 3 hours policy for shoppers can't be real. Or is it? When we do our weekly shopping in our mega stores here in Australia, we usually take about 5 hours to do this in comfortable speed. When all shopping is done we have lunch in food hall and rest for 40 minutes before we drive away.

Looks like I would have to rush things in US supermarkets.

I can't imagine needing to spend more than 3 hours shopping at WalMart  ???

Marc L said:
I don't discriminate, I can't see me spend 3 hours in any store, unless they sell beer and have free sampling.

When you find that store Marc, please post location

Jan Stiskala said:
I am not allowed to park in this store if I am planning to stock for holiday and need to do large shopping which takes me more than 3 hours? This is not logical to me. Don't us retail outlets need the customers to spent money there?

They do need us to spend money there, but not 3+ hours.  That's probably a cutoff time they chose, because most people staying longer than that might be trying to use the Walmart lot as a campground.  Most people (in America anyway) don't shop for that long anyway.  Even my major grocery shopping (okay, my wife does it but still) takes no longer than 2 hours at 2 different stores.  And that's for 10-14 days of groceries at home.

And keep in mind as mentioned, this 3-hour rule only appears to be the policy at this particular Florida Wal-mart store.  Most stores not in the middle of tourist areas probably do not have any time limitations.

Note it is generally NOT Wal-Mart but the city, county or state that makes the "No long term parking" rules.

Wal-Mart is very happy to have you shop there. And to do that  you must park there.

If your shopping trip takes more than 2 hours, Move to the other side of the lot and keep on shopping.

Jan Stiskala said:
Fear not Jan, that Walmart is not typical. In my nine years of full timing I have spent the night in hundreds of different Walmarts. Only a handful of times was I asked to leave, but that was before I subscribed to overnightrvparking.com. Since I can now afford RV parks I will not have to sleep at a Walmart again, but I still shop there. Every once and a while I get approached by Walmart security when I enter the lot to go shopping. They tell me I can't spend the night and I tell them I am just there to shop and that satisfies them.

Tom said:
I can't imagine needing to spend more than 3 hours shopping at WalMart  ???

Boy! Tom, You sure are a dreamer, it takes my wife three hours just to visit with all the employees that she knows at our local Wal-Mart. [She used to work there for 15 years.] If you want to see a full day, here is our Tuesday schedule. Sam's Club 2-3 hours, Wal-Mart 3-4 hours, Gander Mountain [My Candy store!] 3-4 hours. Books A Million 1-2 hours, Cloth World or any convenient Craft Store 1-2 hours. Gander Mountain is close to Wal-Mart, so I go there, and wife picks me up when she finishes Wal-Mart. also during the day it is a trip to either Red Lobster, Corino's, Olive Garden, or else Out Back. After that it is return to the Bird and unload and I nap while wife puts things where [She wants them.]

Anyone want to swap Tuesdays?

Lee

LOL Lee. My wife is a super-fast shopper; She knows exactly what she wants and usually knows where to find it. I hate shopping, and used to find an excuse not to go. Nowadays, Chris no longer asks if I'm coming to the store. OTOH if it's a fishing tackle store, especially if they have good fly fishing gear, Chris won't come with me because she knows I'll be there for a long time  ;D

I would like to see all Wallmarts, Flying J'S ect stop overnight camping.  There are thousand of campgrounds in the USA use them.  What's next, free electric hook ups?  Wash in the Burger King?  Campgrounds are for camping, and they are at all price levels.  They rely on us to keep in business. I can guarantee Wallmarts will not go out of business if you don't shop there. Yon can take that to the bank....

I can't wait to see what this starts....

Jim

Tin man said:
I would like to see all Wallmarts, Flying J'S ect stop overnight camping.  There are thousand of campgrounds in the USA use them.  What's next, free electric hook ups?  Wash in the Burger King?  Campgrounds are for camping, and they are at all price levels.  They rely on us to keep in business. I can guarantee Wallmarts will not go out of business if you don't shop there. Yon can take that to the bank....

Jim

To each his own, and while I prefer to use a campground, there are circumstances that require any port in a storm. A good example was on one trip, the next campground was 20 miles down the road, and when we got there, they were full, with no overflow parking. We stopped a State Trooper, and asked him where the next one was, and were informed another 40 miles, and he recommended we stop at the Petro station about 5-6 miles down the road. He could see both the wife and I were tired. We asked if there was a fee, which we were more than willing to pay, and were told just to use the back lot, and please don't block the truckers. We parked, went inside, and bought supper, and the next morning breakfast as well, and filled up the tank. I probably could have made the 40 miles, but a tired driver is a hazard to other people on the road. Stopping for a needed rest is not camping, it is common sense. Setting up a camp site is misuse of some ones courtesy.

Lee

Marc L said:
I don't discriminate, I can't see me spend 3 hours in any store, unless they sell beer and have free sampling.

My Apology guys. I newer been in Walmart store before. I was just informed by friend that walmart is large superstore where you can buy everything for your household. Anything from food to linen apparently is available there (information given to me). Looks like i was wrongly informed and Walmart in us is not big shopping complex as I imagine from information given to me.
When I will buy my motorhome, i will need everything, from kitchen dishes to linen and all equipment for my RV. This will take at least day to do for me.
Looks like Walmart is really not what I need for this type of shopping.

I know that this is off topic, but if anybody can recommend some shopping complex in Chicago Ill. to do this type of shopping I would appreciate this.

We are use to shop differently here in Australia. Family shopping is done weekly or 14nightly in our superstores where is usually all available. Food, hardware, technology, banks, medicentres, food halls, cinemas in some and lot of clothes outlets and.............
I mistaked Walmart for this type of superstore complex.
When we shop there usually all family come and we spent at least half day to do all our shopping.

I am again sorry for mistaking Walmart for this type of establishment. I will learn all this when I start my travel in your beautiful country and make adjustment to US way of live..

A Super Walmart may very well have most of what you'll need, so don't let this thread regarding one particular store in a very active tourist area discourage you. Only about 15% of the approximately 3700 US Walmart stores have any RV parking restrictions, most prohibiting overnight parking due to local laws, zoning requirements, or parking lot ownership issues.

Tin man said:

Jim

I am sorry if I red this topic in wrong way. I thought that original post was all about complain for parking restriction 3 hours for shopping, not for staying over night. But if all customers in that store are restricted to leave car park in 3 hours, they should. After all it is Walmart space.
Only what would upset me would be if some shopper can stay longer and some are restricted. I think that this was original complain.

If parking is not suitable for large vehicles and they restricted vehicle because of size with no entry sign, I think that this is understandable  also.

NY_Dutch said:
A Super Walmart may very well have most of what you'll need, so don't let this thread regarding one particular store in a very active tourist area discourage you. Only about 15% of the approximately 3700 US Walmart stores have any RV parking restrictions, most prohibiting overnight parking due to local laws, zoning requirements, or parking lot ownership issues.

Thanks for info
I will be looking in my navigation system for Super Walmart, not just for Walmart. (is that right?)

Jan Stiskala said:
I will be looking in my navigation system for Super Walmart, not just for Walmart. (is that right?)
This will depend on which navigation system you have. My Garmin will say either Walmart or Super Walmart but that doesn't mean it is 100% accurate. You can find info online that will give you a better clue or when you shop at your first Walmart you can pick up a copy of the Rand McNalley USA Atlas ($6) and it lists all the Walmarts in the US and Canada. That information will be the most up to date. The basic difference between a Walmart and a Super Walmart is that the Super Walmarts will include a full grocery store and the regular Walmarts have a limited amount of food. Most every thing else you will need will be available at either one.

I have been shopping almost exclusively at Walmarts in my 9 years of full timing because they have very low prices, very good merchandise, a large selection and an awesome return policy. 90 days for most items and even without a receipt they will usually exchange an item.

Yep, as Tom said, the big difference between the regular Walmart stores and the Super Walmarts is the food selection. Sometimes the usually larger super stores have a broader selection of products, so if one is convenient for you to get to, it might be a better choice for initially stocking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom