EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA  (Read 40341 times)

debamoore

• ---
WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
April 8, 2011 - Found out that the WAL-MART in HOMESTEAD. FLORIDA is NOT the area for RVs!!!  Drove into a Wal-Mart parking lot at 10:30am (the last one one the way to The Keys)  The security guard drove up and said,  (I QUOTE)....................."THESE TYPE vehicles have a 3hr parking limit, it's 10:30am now you have til 1:30pm then you have to leave"!! 

We had just pulled up did not even get 5 secs to put my shoes on to go into the store. 

WAL-MART discrimination against RVers!!!  WOW....and they wonder why they are being sued for discrimination!! 

I was not parked overnight!  I was going in to get items for my trip to the Keys since there is NO Wal-Mart in the Keys. 

So, I decided to stay for "MY" 3 hours and take some notes: 

In approx. 1.5 hrs 10 RVers pulled up - out of those 10 they took up (including me) 32 parking spaces.  Now the average RV/5th Wheel/etc.. has 2 or more people.  (BTW...everyone got the same visit, by the same guard, either before or after shopping at Wal-Mart!).  Each RVer had approx. 6-10 bags or more of groceries, etc... in that same time period 2 cars with boats pulled up - NO VISIT from the guard - and one of them did not even go into Wal-Mart - stayed for 45mins on cell phone - took up 3 parking spaces!  The other boat went in and came out with what looked like 1 small bag of chips!!  Then there were cars pulling into the parking lot 2 at a time hitching a ride in another car and leaving one car parked!! 

Before we left we travelled around the side of Wal-Mart as we had seen BUSES going back and forth...(there have a BUS stop on the side of Wal-Mart) - these BUSES park for 15-20 mins pick up people and drop them off....some of the folks I noticed were leaving their cars and getting on the buses...I am sure going into town for work, beach, etc...

I know we take up a lot of room in our RV's but I do not appreciate anyone putting a time limit on MY visit to the store!  I am young enough where I do not have health problems....I feel really bad for those RVers that are not as fortunate and take longer to get their items needed at the store...or even those of you that have small children that want walk slowly down EVERY toy isle in Wal-Mart!!

THE PARKING LOT WAS NOT FULL....NOT EVEN CLOSE....AND WAS A HUGE PARKING LOT!!

I will NOT be going to a Wal-Mart store anytime soon!!    >:(

SIDE NOTE....FYI........  The meaning for discrimination is:

Discrimination is the cognitive and sensory capacity or ability to see fine distinctions and perceive differences between objects, subjects, concepts and patterns, or possess exceptional development of the senses.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Re: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Here's my take on it...I seriously doubt this was all WalMart's idea.  If you wanted to investigate further, check with the city/county.  I suspect you will find a "no overnight" regulation and I also suspect WalMart has turned their back on overnighters and someone(s) complained - in turn, officials probably threatened WalMart with legal action if they don't enforce the regulation.  As for discrimination...not very many folks arriving in something other than an RV are likely to stay overnight.  Profiling, probably.  Discrimination, I don't think so.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

diehard

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
I'm sure if you actually conduct a little research, you'll realize that this is not likely Wal-Mart's doing, but a city by-law. 

Wal-Mart corporation has no problems with RVers stopping over, but if the city says no... it's no.  Don't blame Wal-Mart.

1999 Itasca Sunrise
2010 HHR frog
Travels with DW, DD and a Boston Terrier

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Even RVers that stay overnight in the wallyworld parking lot near me dont seem to get in the way. They are parked way out at the end of the parking lot.
And for those of you defending wallyworld, you may be right, but then again you may not be. There have been wallyworld stores that harass truckers also.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins QC 4x4 6 speed manual trans
'98 29' Coachman Royal with super slide
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

micd111

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
I agree, not discrimination. It likely the same as the Walmart near my house that is right off the expressway. For the city to approve it Walmart had to make it a no overnight Walmart. Likely the city council for that Walmart put a 3 hr parking restriction on RVs. Since security visited every RV that stopped then they were doing a good job not discriminating as they applied the rule to all who qualified.

We've had security come talk to us in the middle of the day while parked at a Home Depot and working on our RV. We just reassured them that we weren't staying any longer than it took for us to install our surge protector and they were pleasant about it. I think since another RV had pulled up next to us they though we were all settling in.

The good news is that you can rest assured they aren't discriminating against you and you can continue to shop there.
1994 29RQ Winnebago Brave
P30 chassis with Chevy 454 engine
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/

diehard

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
Even RVers that stay overnight in the wallyworld parking lot near me dont seem to get in the way. They are parked way out at the end of the parking lot.
And for those of you defending wallyworld, you may be right, but then again you may not be. There have been wallyworld stores that harass truckers also.

Let's see... RVers and truckers.. hmm... those 2 tend to stay over for a few hours to sleep, no?  If there is an issue with staying more than 'X' amount of hours, I'd expect to be advised about it right away instead of them waiting for me to possibly fall asleep before rapping on my door.

Someone pulling in towing a boat?  Hmm... not likely to be sleeping over for a few hours.

Has nothing to do with discrimination, nor is it likely anything to do with a local Wal-Mart's policy because it's well known that Wal-Mart corporate has no problem with it. 

Again... conduct a little research and you're likely to find that the city has a problem with the stopovers.

1999 Itasca Sunrise
2010 HHR frog
Travels with DW, DD and a Boston Terrier

seilerbird

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
Relax. I have had this happen to me in many Walmarts around the country. It is much better to have them tell you immediately rather than wake you up at midnight and tell you to move.

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »
Let's see... RVers and truckers.. hmm... those 2 tend to stay over for a few hours to sleep, no?  If there is an issue with staying more than 'X' amount of hours, I'd expect to be advised about it right away instead of them waiting for me to possibly fall asleep before rapping on my door.

Someone pulling in towing a boat?  Hmm... not likely to be sleeping over for a few hours.

Has nothing to do with discrimination, nor is it likely anything to do with a local Wal-Mart's policy because it's well known that Wal-Mart corporate has no problem with it. 

Again... conduct a little research and you're likely to find that the city has a problem with the stopovers.
Research. Hmm, Lets see.  There have been a couple wallyworlds where the STORE manager has decided to institute a no truck policy at their store. There were no local restrictions. It was all the STORE manager. You are correct that wallyworld corporaste has no problem with it. In fact corporate WELCOMES truckers and RVers, as you say. This was obvious to those of us responsible for complaining to Bentonville about these practices and getting these store policies stricken down.
So............ You may be right. There may be a local code restrictions, but you may be wrong, it could be a store manager on a power trip with his own agenda.
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

seilerbird

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »
It has nothing to do with the "store manager on a power trip". Many Walmart don't allow trucks because the parking lot is too small to handle them.

FrankNSharon

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Wow, a lot of to do about nothing...

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
It has nothing to do with the "store manager on a power trip". Many Walmart don't allow trucks because the parking lot is too small to handle them.
That is correct sometimes. But you are wrong when you say it has nothing to do with a store manager on a power trip. Did you read my entire post? Or did you stop right there and decide to contradict me? Because you seem to have missed the part where I said I was involved in complaining to Bentonville to get these STORE MANAGER policies CHANGED.
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
It may also have nothing to do with the city,, and everthing to do with whomever owns the property.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

FrankNSharon

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
There are many reasons that the Wal-Mart may be not allowing RV's to park for extended amounts of time - who knows.

Does it matter? There seems to be a feeling of "entitlement" here, like we have a right to park anywhere we want to. Personally I appreciate those WM's that let us park and don't worry about all the possible reasons for those that don't. I certainly do no feel I have a RIGHT to park on someones property.

Frank

Getinaway

• ---
  • Tim
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
There are many reasons that the Wal-Mart may be not allowing RV's to park for extended amounts of time - who knows.

Does it matter? There seems to be a feeling of "entitlement" here, like we have a right to park anywhere we want to. Personally I appreciate those WM's that let us park and don't worry about all the possible reasons for those that don't. I certainly do no feel I have a RIGHT to park on someones property.

Frank
I think if you are a customer you do have a right to park without being harassed. If it is a local code there will be signs posted prominently at the entrances and at spots in the property. Now if the store decides to extend the courtesy of having security inform people of the local code restrictions that is fine if it is done in a courteous manner. But there would be signs. And the OP never mentioned any signs. So we could deduce that since the OP never mentioned the signs, there were no signs, so there was no local code.
'77 23' Shasta-for sale
Better than a tent

FrankNSharon

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
That is why most stores have a sign that says "We Reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to anyone", no one has a RIGHT to be anyones customer against that stores/company's will.

But, go right on and be unhappy, demand your rights, and before long WM as a corporation will decide it just is not worth it to them to allow ANY RV's to park in their lots. They do not have to - at least in those cases where they own the lot.

I am out of this conversation, it is about to turn political which we are not supposed to do here...

AndyinLexington

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
I'm with FrankNSharon on this one.  I'm glad for the WalMarts that allow parking overnight, and we use them quite a bit when between destinations, but it's private property, so if they don't want me there, I'm not arguing or feeling slighted about it.  I believe that landowner's have the right to make the rules for their own land, within the law.
Andy Holmes
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34F
2005 Chev Malibu Toad
N1CPS
Lexington, Kentucky

Water Dog

• ---
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
I also agree with FrankNSharon. Many Walmarts do let RVers spend the night, and you cannot name many other stores with big parking lots that do this. As far as signs go, just because there is a local code does not necessarily mean that law would be posted on signs in a parking lot (or every store with a parking lot in that juridiction would have to have them). Ever seen them in your supermarket parking lot? I appreciate the fact that where they can, Walmarts try and cater to RV's, and like other posters, would appreciate being made aware of the no over night policy up front. 
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

Terier

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with a 3 hour time limit if I was parked there to do some shopping. 

2011 Forest River Salem 20RXBL
Perfect for "Living within my means" & camping for one
2011 Toyota Tundra 4.6 V8

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
Think I remember your post stating '....Last before the keys....' or something close to that.  I would not get down on the Manager, nor Walmart in general.  They most likely have a ton of trouble at certain times of the year with no parking available because of all the RV's jamming the parking lot.  Only our experience... but Walmart in the majority of their stores is very liberal on RV parking, we have never been personally asked to leave in countless stops over-night.  Frankly this kind of sounds like screaming at a free soup kitchen Manager because they did not have the certain bread that is a favourite......
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
I believe that Florida City enacted an ordinance against RV parking in the Florida City Walmart. I have heard there were many complaints there due to people camping there day and night. I live north of there but pass there somewhat infrequent but used to see a lot of campers there but now it is sparse. I just attributed it to the snowbirds leaving but then heard from my daughter who manages a store at the outlet Mall that Florida City changed their policies.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
There seems to be a feeling of "entitlement" here

Many retailers will attest to a pervasive notion of some customers that the retailer "owes" the customer something because the customer spent some money. I think the retailer owes us nothing. I think we as customers should "expect" value and customer service for our patronage and express our lack of satisfaction by going somewhere else with our business (i.e. the Flying J controversy) when that  expectation of value and service does not occur.

We have not had the occasion to use a Wal Mart during our travels, but will appreciate them when we need them and find them willing, and still shop there when they cannot offer us free overnight accommodations. I don't expect them to be a free place to stay, so I am never disappointed.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

jspedigo5

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »
This is my "hometown" walmart and u have to visit it to fully understand the the original posters frustration. I dont think the complaint was about the overnight stay but more about being treated rudely. It  takes close to an hour to get through chec kout

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
The Walmart in Florida City is reported to be the busiest Walmart in the US. They no longer have room for storage of goods, the City has cited the Walmart several times for CONEX Containers being used for storage, their parking lot is generally full to overflowing and they are definitely running out of space. That being said, I can appreciate the frustrations of many but Walmart does not make local laws, they only comply. Walmart in Florida City is presently in the process of trying to find a larger tract of land to put a new store and alleviate some of the problems at the Florida City store. I live here and have seen the abuses of the RV community in this Walmart. I try to avoid Walmart here altogether or get up at 5am if I need something from Walmart. I realize that this area is a popular destination during the winter months and during the NASCAR races. Our streets become overly crowded in some cases by drivers sightseeing where we live and work here. We try to be tolerant but remember courtesy is a 2 way street.

That being said, I believe that several have reiterated that no one has the right to park on someone elses property. I personally like the full hook-ups but have spent a night in Walmart. I do have a problem when I do on occaision have to go to Walmart and there are no parking places but there is a RV parked so as to take up 8 parking places.  Remember it is up to us to police our RV community. If we don't you will see these extended courtesies disappear and more and more laws enacted banning RV's. It is your call!
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »
The courteous thing to do is call 1-800-walmart. Put in the zip code of the store you wish to use. That will give you the phone number of the store. Call the Manager and ask if it is OK to park overnight. If not, move on. That way you will not be surprised by a visit from security telling you to move. The zip codes are all listed in walmart's road atlas.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
As I recall, Miami-Dade County has an ordinance that prohibits inhabited overnight RV parking any place other than a recognized campground. That would certainly include Homestead and Florida City.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
From time to time I too read a rant against Wal-Mart for parking/camping overnight issues.
I remember that Wal-Mart is in the retail business and not in the Campground business. It is fortunate for RVers that Wal-mart has a a company policy that allows RV's to park and camp on their property. It is not required.
I have often thought that anyone who rants about Wal-Mart parking/camping problems, in order to be fair, should never complain if some stranger drives onto their personal property and camps over night.
Perhaps we should all recongnise that it is the right of any property owner to manage the owned property the way necessary.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
Perhaps we should all recongnise that it is the right of any property owner to manage the owned property the way necessary.

This thread is evidence that the large majority of us DO realize that.  It only takes a few entitled folks to make a stink and ruin it though.  The OP posted this rant to other online RV groups recently as well (with those threads I've reviewed looking quite similar to this one), and unfortunately has not returned here to give any feedback or response to our various comments.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »
This thread is evidence that the large majority of us DO realize that.  It only takes a few entitled folks to make a stink and ruin it though.  The OP posted this rant to other online RV groups recently as well (with those threads I've reviewed looking quite similar to this one), and unfortunately has not returned here to give any feedback or response to our various comments.
Agree.  Ya can't fix stupid....  For the life of me I can't figure out why someone would post such garbage.  Heck, Walmart has saved us a plenty with their hospitality.  Common sense is not so common some times....
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »
BTW, the OP refered to Parking Lot #2 with people parking their cars and getting on the busses. I would like to remind the OP that the so called Parking Lot#2 is a County owned Park and Ride Lot which does not belong to Walmart but to Miami-Dade County for the use of bus riders.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
I've never understood why some people always blame Wal-Mart for the overnight parking regulations.

There are some locations where Wal-Mart doesn't own the land so they have to comply with the land owners regulations.

Other locations Wal-Mart has to comply with city or county ordinances. They don't have a choice whether to allow overnight parking or not.

I think that if it were left up to Wal-Mart you could park overnight at all their locations.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Hosted by Over The Network