EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA  (Read 40412 times)

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
Re: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
I will repeat, this was not Wal Mart's policy, the store being referenced is in Florida City and therefore comes under Florida City law which does not allow overnight parking outside of a RV park any where in the city. I hope that clarifies the situation. BTW Florida City council enacted the ordinance because of RVers making the Florida City Wal Mart a campground. At times, especially when there was a NASCAR race and during the peak tourist months, regular customers of that Wal Mart were having a problem finding parking spaces. RVers spilled out of the Wal Mart parking area into adjacent private properties setting up camp like they owned the place. Most RVers I meet are very nice people who respect others rights and property but, when RVers pull into a parking lot and put out slides, letting jacks down and the awning out, it doesn't surprise me that cities react.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 05:26:26 AM »
This is my "hometown" walmart and u have to visit it to fully understand the the original posters frustration. I dont think the complaint was about the overnight stay but more about being treated rudely. It  takes close to an hour to get through chec kout

I am not American. I am buying RV in us in May. Do I understand this properly?

I am not allowed to park in this store if I am planning to stock for holiday and need to do large shopping which takes me more than 3 hours? This is not logical to me. Don't us retail outlets need the customers to spent money there?

I am not talking about staying there over night, just to shop, have a lunch or coffee and not to be forced rush my shopping.
This 3 hours policy for shoppers can't be real. Or is it? When we do our weekly shopping in our mega stores here in Australia, we usually take about 5 hours to do this in comfortable speed. When all shopping is done we have lunch in food hall and rest for 40 minutes before we drive away.

Looks like I would have to rush things in US supermarkets.
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Looks like I would have to rush things in US supermarkets.
It's not all stores that are like that.  I believe the 3 hour limit is more the exception than the rule.
Marc...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »
I can't imagine needing to spend more than 3 hours shopping at WalMart  ???
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 06:53:24 AM »
I don't discriminate, I can't see me spend 3 hours in any store, unless they sell beer and have free sampling.
Marc...

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »
I don't discriminate, I can't see me spend 3 hours in any store, unless they sell beer and have free sampling.

When you find that store Marc, please post location
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »
I am not allowed to park in this store if I am planning to stock for holiday and need to do large shopping which takes me more than 3 hours? This is not logical to me. Don't us retail outlets need the customers to spent money there?

They do need us to spend money there, but not 3+ hours.  That's probably a cutoff time they chose, because most people staying longer than that might be trying to use the Walmart lot as a campground.  Most people (in America anyway) don't shop for that long anyway.  Even my major grocery shopping (okay, my wife does it but still) takes no longer than 2 hours at 2 different stores.  And that's for 10-14 days of groceries at home.

And keep in mind as mentioned, this 3-hour rule only appears to be the policy at this particular Florida Wal-mart store.  Most stores not in the middle of tourist areas probably do not have any time limitations.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
Note it is generally NOT Wal-Mart but the city, county or state that makes the "No long term parking" rules.

Wal-Mart is very happy to have you shop there. And to do that  you must park there.

If your shopping trip takes more than 2 hours, Move to the other side of the lot and keep on shopping.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »

Fear not Jan, that Walmart is not typical. In my nine years of full timing I have spent the night in hundreds of different Walmarts. Only a handful of times was I asked to leave, but that was before I subscribed to overnightrvparking.com. Since I can now afford RV parks I will not have to sleep at a Walmart again, but I still shop there. Every once and a while I get approached by Walmart security when I enter the lot to go shopping. They tell me I can't spend the night and I tell them I am just there to shop and that satisfies them.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

M1894

• ---
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »

Boy! Tom, You sure are a dreamer, it takes my wife three hours just to visit with all the employees that she knows at our local Wal-Mart. [She used to work there for 15 years.] If you want to see a full day, here is our Tuesday schedule. Sam's Club 2-3 hours, Wal-Mart 3-4 hours, Gander Mountain [My Candy store!] 3-4 hours. Books A Million 1-2 hours, Cloth World or any convenient Craft Store 1-2 hours. Gander Mountain is close to Wal-Mart, so I go there, and wife picks me up when she finishes Wal-Mart. also during the day it is a trip to either Red Lobster, Corino's, Olive Garden, or else Out Back. After that it is return to the Bird and unload and I nap while wife puts things where [She wants them.]

Anyone want to swap Tuesdays?

Lee
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:16:39 PM by M1894 »
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
LOL Lee. My wife is a super-fast shopper; She knows exactly what she wants and usually knows where to find it. I hate shopping, and used to find an excuse not to go. Nowadays, Chris no longer asks if I'm coming to the store. OTOH if it's a fishing tackle store, especially if they have good fly fishing gear, Chris won't come with me because she knows I'll be there for a long time  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
I would like to see all Wallmarts, Flying J'S ect stop overnight camping.  There are thousand of campgrounds in the USA use them.  What's next, free electric hook ups?  Wash in the Burger King?  Campgrounds are for camping, and they are at all price levels.  They rely on us to keep in business. I can guarantee Wallmarts will not go out of business if you don't shop there. Yon can take that to the bank....

I can't wait to see what this starts....

Jim
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

M1894

• ---
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
I would like to see all Wallmarts, Flying J'S ect stop overnight camping.  There are thousand of campgrounds in the USA use them.  What's next, free electric hook ups?  Wash in the Burger King?  Campgrounds are for camping, and they are at all price levels.  They rely on us to keep in business. I can guarantee Wallmarts will not go out of business if you don't shop there. Yon can take that to the bank....

Jim

To each his own, and while I prefer to use a campground, there are circumstances that require any port in a storm. A good example was on one trip, the next campground was 20 miles down the road, and when we got there, they were full, with no overflow parking. We stopped a State Trooper, and asked him where the next one was, and were informed another 40 miles, and he recommended we stop at the Petro station about 5-6 miles down the road. He could see both the wife and I were tired. We asked if there was a fee, which we were more than willing to pay, and were told just to use the back lot, and please don't block the truckers. We parked, went inside, and bought supper, and the next morning breakfast as well, and filled up the tank. I probably could have made the 40 miles, but a tired driver is a hazard to other people on the road. Stopping for a needed rest is not camping, it is common sense. Setting up a camp site is misuse of some ones courtesy.

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »

My Apology guys. I newer been in Walmart store before. I was just informed by friend that walmart is large superstore where you can buy everything for your household. Anything from food to linen apparently is available there (information given to me). Looks like i was wrongly informed and Walmart in us is not big shopping complex as I imagine from information given to me.
When I will buy my motorhome, i will need everything, from kitchen dishes to linen and all equipment for my RV. This will take at least day to do for me.
Looks like Walmart is really not what I need for this type of shopping.

I know that this is off topic, but if anybody can recommend some shopping complex in Chicago Ill. to do this type of shopping I would appreciate this.

We are use to shop differently here in Australia. Family shopping is done weekly or 14nightly in our superstores where is usually all available. Food, hardware, technology, banks, medicentres, food halls, cinemas in some and lot of clothes outlets and.............
I mistaked Walmart for this type of superstore complex.
When we shop there usually all family come and we spent at least half day to do all our shopping.

I am again sorry for mistaking Walmart for this type of establishment. I will learn all this when I start my travel in your beautiful country and make adjustment to US way of live..

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:52:03 PM by Jan Stiskala »

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »
A Super Walmart may very well have most of what you'll need, so don't let this thread regarding one particular store in a very active tourist area discourage you. Only about 15% of the approximately 3700 US Walmart stores have any RV parking restrictions, most prohibiting overnight parking due to local laws, zoning requirements, or parking lot ownership issues.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »

Jim

I am sorry if I red this topic in wrong way. I thought that original post was all about complain for parking restriction 3 hours for shopping, not for staying over night. But if all customers in that store are restricted to leave car park in 3 hours, they should. After all it is Walmart space.
Only what would upset me would be if some shopper can stay longer and some are restricted. I think that this was original complain.

If parking is not suitable for large vehicles and they restricted vehicle because of size with no entry sign, I think that this is understandable  also.

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »
A Super Walmart may very well have most of what you'll need, so don't let this thread regarding one particular store in a very active tourist area discourage you. Only about 15% of the approximately 3700 US Walmart stores have any RV parking restrictions, most prohibiting overnight parking due to local laws, zoning requirements, or parking lot ownership issues.

Thanks for info
I will be looking in my navigation system for Super Walmart, not just for Walmart. (is that right?)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
I will be looking in my navigation system for Super Walmart, not just for Walmart. (is that right?)
This will depend on which navigation system you have. My Garmin will say either Walmart or Super Walmart but that doesn't mean it is 100% accurate. You can find info online that will give you a better clue or when you shop at your first Walmart you can pick up a copy of the Rand McNalley USA Atlas ($6) and it lists all the Walmarts in the US and Canada. That information will be the most up to date. The basic difference between a Walmart and a Super Walmart is that the Super Walmarts will include a full grocery store and the regular Walmarts have a limited amount of food. Most every thing else you will need will be available at either one.

I have been shopping almost exclusively at Walmarts in my 9 years of full timing because they have very low prices, very good merchandise, a large selection and an awesome return policy. 90 days for most items and even without a receipt they will usually exchange an item.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
Yep, as Tom said, the big difference between the regular Walmart stores and the Super Walmarts is the food selection. Sometimes the usually larger super stores have a broader selection of products, so if one is convenient for you to get to, it might be a better choice for initially stocking up.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Thanks for explaining this to me. I understand now. Sorry for disrupting this topic.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
Super Walmart is basically a huge grocery store on one side, and a general merchandise store on the other.  Super Target, Super K (a version of Kmart), and Meijer are three other companies that are similar and you might also find in various states.  Most have pharmacies and sometimes a fast food restaurant (Subway, McDonald's, etc.), a small bank counter, print/photo shop, or other businesses integrated.  But they are not as huge as you were thinking, with multiple clothing retailers, a food court, or movie theaters.  That would be considered a shopping mall in the U.S. 
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2012, 04:19:46 AM »
Thanks Scottydl
I have got the right idea now. I must say that it is really nice for Walmart to let RV there over night. This would be not allowed here or in Europe.
For travellers like me who spent more time on the road than in camping ground this is just super. And yes if they are so supportive they will be my choice for shopping. (but I need more than 3 hours LOL)

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »
Sevierville County, Tn has an ordinance that forbids parking at their Walmart stores. Once in Texas I went into a Walmart and ask to park over night. The manager was very nice, but the parking lot was leased and the owner of the lot would not allow for over night RV parking. I thanked him and drove on down the road.

Once I pulled the MH way over out of the way next to an old truck where pine straw was stored. I went into the Walmart store to make sure that it was alright to park for the night. The lady said that it was alright to spend the night but would I pull the MH over towards the middle of the parking lot. When I showed supprise she said that she was having problems with people slipping into the pine straw truck and having sex and she needed me to move so she could keep an eye on the truck. I was happy to move away from that truck.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »
I done all my shopping to equipped my new RV in wallmart. Took me 2 days of shopping and setting up and I spent about $2000 there. Thanks good that They did not have 3 hours limit.  I was running in and out for this 2 days with tape measure and new ideas how to improve my set up. One lady at check up started to call me by first name.
Now I am on the way and enjoying my RV experience in the states.

parmm

• ---
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
Visit http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/walmartrving/.  They maintain a reasonably updated Walmart "overnight"/"no overnight" parking list.   They also have the Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct
(RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy) listed on their files section.  A copy follows:

"Some of the most respected RV consumer clubs have joined together to support your right to park on private businesses’ parking lots overnight under the following code of conduct. The code pertains to establishments that permit "dry camping" on their lots. Dry camping means camping without the use of external hookups for electricity, water supply or waste disposal.

Industry-Sanctioned Code of Conduct (RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy)

1. Stay one night only!
2. Obtain permission from a qualified individual.
3. Obey posted regulations.
4. No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
5. Do not use hydraulic jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
6. Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
7. Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
8. Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.

If your plans include touring the area, staying for more than one night, or necessitate conduct not within the code, please relocate to a local campground. It’s the right thing to do!

Most of the complaints lodged regarding RV parking on business parking lots have to do with aesthetics and perceived abuse of the privilege. There are a variety of competing interests that were balanced to arrive at this industry-sanctioned code of conduct. As you can see, this Code of Conduct is nothing more than an RVers’ “Good
Neighbor” policy.

Not following the code has serious consequences and is detrimental to the rights of all RVers. Already, some municipalities have passed ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property overnight.

Please do not take offense to this letter; it is only provided as a reminder that RVers must be perceived as good neighbors, or there will be more pressure to institute state, county and local ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property."
1994 U225 Foretravel

elkriverrats

• ---
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »
This particular Wal-Mart is where our saga began trying to diagnose our fuel/engine issues (Dec 2011).  MH died on the highway offramp and we managed to get into the Wal-Mart parking lot - in the back, away from most cars.  We were not approached by security although they drove by us repeatedly.  It was obvious we were having trouble from the hood up and DH covered in grime laying under the MH so I am assuming they realized they would be wasting their breath to let us know there was a time restriction :)

I know its off topic but my post is in regard to the quality of this Wal-Mart, not their policies about time limits...
I don't usually shop in Wal-Mart, but have been in a few during our travels - enough to know that the others I have been in are much nicer than this one. I have never seen anything like this place.  This particular Wal-Mart is perhaps the dirtiest store I have EVER been in.  Even worse was the feeling that I wanted to grab my teenage son's hand just to keep him close to me while inside - I had that bad vibe the whole time we were inside.
It was not terribly busy at the time, we were there during a weekday prior to lunchtime.  The staff was rude and not helpful when I asked where items I could not find were located.  We enjoy the Everglades and the Keys so we will be going through this area in the future but I will go out of my way to find an alternative stop further north for any items we need.  I was so creeped out, I would not have overnighted here even if they allowed it. 

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
Good help in this area is hard to find. This particular Walmart as I understand it is the busiest Walmart in the USA. I live here and avoid it at all cost. I have been in numerous Walmart's in our travels and have to agree with you on this particular Walmart. Walmart is supposed to build another store about 4 miles north on US-1. Have to wait and see if this martilizes.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

dickreid1

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »
Over the years the Florida City Walmart has been a source of amazement as to how many RV's we would see in the parking lot as we drove by.  You would hear stories about some poor soul, late in the day, kids crying, not being able to find a campsite and being told that the nearest place was the Florida city Walmart way back at the beginnings or the Keys. 
This year we were again amazed to see no RV's as we drove by.  Sadly, the word is that the abuse of the courtesy extended by Walmart finally caused them to take action.  I am not surprised.  I often wondered how long it would last. 
As for camping, the city park has over 300 sites a few blocks away and there are 2 or 3 RV parks within a mile. The only real change is loss of free overnight parking for some... for others, a free campsite.

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »
I don't know if you noticed but, they chained off the property just north of the walmart in FL City and put up the same signs. Florida City does have a campground about 3 blocks west and a 1/2 mile north. Not the best kept campground and tight spots but doable. I have heard rumors that Southern Komfort campground has been sold to the Miccosuccee (sp) Indians along with the property on the corner of US1 and Palm drive to build a Casino. 
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
Is that the same Southern Comfort RV Park that was there in the 80s ? If so, we lived there while working at Biscayne and the Everglades back in 1985-6. I figured one of the hurricanes took it out.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Hosted by Over The Network