EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA  (Read 40517 times)

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
Re: WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
Wendy, it is the same, it has been through several different owners since then. It is still situated on Pal;m Drive just east of US1. If you worked Biscayne and Everglades Park then I should have met you then. I always had the Boy Scouts in the parks at least twice a month.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
What a hoot that it's still there. I used to ride my bike to Biscayne to work and stop along the way to pick up lovely little red potatoes in the fields. Mike worked at Shark Valley, did tram and bike tours. Best birding I've ever had in my life.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
Back then it was a wonderful area. It is now crowded, the potato fields are pretty much gone with houses being planted in the place of potatoes. I think there may be one or two potato farmers left but they are farther north. Williams was the big potato farmer in this arfea. I don't think I would ride a bicycle down Palm Drive now even though I see a few do it. You would be amazed at how many homes have been built on both sides of Palm Drive. The weather is still ideal here which is why I stay. Birding is really good in the Glades and in Biscayne. Had Lobster this evening that my son caught last night.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

elkriverrats

• ---
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2012, 05:51:46 AM »
Your fond memories are making me want to pack up and head out right now!!!  This was a crazy trip for us and our first long road trip in our MH.  We had so many unpredictable things happen.  I loved both Everglades and Biscayne.  It took my guys a few months to get over the craziness (WOW, I wish I had asked about the tourists in ENP the week after Christmas, the locals putting in a the the boat ramp were laughing at our shock all week) but now DH can't wait to go back.  Next time it won't be during what we told is the only crowded time of year in this park!  Biscayne was a happy accident (our MH was in the shop and we stumbled across a road sign while trying to find things to keep DS happy during our motel stay).  I was floored by the beauty of this park.  DH and I hope to join the ranks of workcampers when we are empty nesters and this one is on my list!  We were here in December/Jan and the two couples working at Biscayne were set up in the parking lot.

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
As I said, I stay for the weather...In 1961, the Air Force put me on the UP of Michigan where I learned "When the leaves fall off the trees and the birds head south, you follow" or maybe even beat them to it. When the first cold front comes through I start playing golf and really enjoying the outdoors here.

After the first cold front you know it won't be long for the birds to show up.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
In 1961, the Air Force put me on the UP of Michigan where I learned "When the leaves fall off the trees and the birds head south, you follow"
Don - I hope you did not hurt yourself falling out of the tree... ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Leaves Tom, Leaves. I don't climb trees.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

chrishibbard7

• ---
  • 04 4winds chateau sport
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Important to note, KMarts have a similar policy. 

When we travel long days and get off the highway after midnight, I love to stay at WM, when permissible.  I've only run across 1 WM that didn't allow overnight RVers, and there was another WM 25min down the road, which I called and double checked before heading after.  For us, it's a perfect stop for those long days of driving.  Grab a couple items from the store after midnight, gas up, sleep, start the motor and roll out by 8AM!   Now, if you're travelling a "trucking corridor", it's very likely the WM will not allow TRUCKS to sleep overnight, but we always find the little "wagon train" cluster of RVs far away from the entrance, in a mostly level area, and park beside 'em.  I often wonder what the stories are of our anonymous (and quiet) neighbors :)

The only inconvenience we've run into so far, is the streetsweepers that end up cleaning the parking lot the night we park there.  I can't blame them for being clean!

BTW, there's a Walmart app for iphones/ ipads and Androids that is constantly updated, and will tell you where the closest Walmart is, and their phone #.  It's MUCH faster than using MS Trips and Streets.

dominique21

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
April 8, 2011 - Found out that the WAL-MART in HOMESTEAD. FLORIDA is NOT the area for RVs!!!  Drove into a Wal-Mart parking lot at 10:30am (the last one one the way to The Keys)  The security guard drove up and said,  (I QUOTE)....................."THESE TYPE vehicles have a 3hr parking limit, it's 10,,:30am now you have til 1:30pm then you have to leave!

Sadly if the security guard would have demonstrated an ounce of people skills you probably wouldn't have bothered to post this and got all upset.
Edit: Fixed quote and removed excessive white space.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:09:03 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
dominique21,

You're replying to old topics. Some of the original posters are no longer here  ;)
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
dominique21,

You're replying to old topics. Some of the original posters are no longer here  ;)
There you go again, Tom.  Spoiling another good response. ;D ;D ;D
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

dominique21

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
April 8, 2011 - Found out that the WAL-MART in HOMESTEAD. FLORIDA is NOT the area for RVs!!!  Drove into a Wal-Mart parking lot at 10:30am (the last one one the way to The Keys)  The security guard drove up and said,  (I QUOTE)....................."THESE TYPE vehicles have a 3hr parking limit, it's 10:30am now you have til 1:30pm then you have to leave"!! 

We had just pulled up did not even get 5 secs to put my shoes on to go into the store. 

WAL-MART discrimination against RVers!!!  WOW....and they wonder why they are being sued for discrimination!! 

I was not parked overnight!  I was going in to get items for my trip to the Keys since there is NO Wal-Mart in the Keys. 

So, I decided to stay for "MY" 3 hours and take some notes: 

In approx. 1.5 hrs 10 RVers pulled up - out of those 10 they took up (including me) 32 parking spaces.  Now the average RV/5th Wheel/etc.. has 2 or more people.  (BTW...everyone got the same visit, by the same guard, either before or after shopping at Wal-Mart!).  Each RVer had approx. 6-10 bags or more of groceries, etc... in that same time period 2 cars with boats pulled up - NO VISIT from the guard - and one of them did not even go into Wal-Mart - stayed for 45mins on cell phone - took up 3 parking spaces!  The other boat went in and came out with what looked like 1 small bag of chips!!  Then there were cars pulling into the parking lot 2 at a time hitching a ride in another car and leaving one car parked!! 

Before we left we travelled around the side of Wal-Mart as we had seen BUSES going back and forth...(there have a BUS stop on the side of Wal-Mart) - these BUSES park for 15-20 mins pick up people and drop them off....some of the folks I noticed were leaving their cars and getting on the buses...I am sure going into town for work, beach, etc...

I know we take up a lot of room in our RV's but I do not appreciate anyone putting a time limit on MY visit to the store!  I am young enough where I do not have health problems....I feel really bad for those RVers that are not as fortunate and take longer to get their items needed at the store...or even those of you that have small children that want walk slowly down EVERY toy isle in Wal-Mart!!

THE PARKING LOT WAS NOT FULL....NOT EVEN CLOSE....AND WAS A HUGE PARKING LOT!!

I will NOT be going to a Wal-Mart store anytime soon!!    >:(

SIDE NOTE....FYI........  The meaning for discrimination is:

Discrimination is the cognitive and sensory capacity or ability to see fine distinctions and perceive differences between objects, subjects, concepts and patterns, or possess exceptional development of the senses.

Sadly, if the security guard would have demonstrated an ounce of people skills, you probably wouldn't have posted this and got all mad.

M1894

• ---
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
Only had a problem with one WalMart parking lot. After stopping my Rig, I was accosted by one of their lot personnel who informed me that I couldn't park there. I just informed him that I was there to pick up my wife who is on the set up crew for their new store, but now I was going to see the Manager about their wanna be cop on their lot who does not know how to talk to people. [Politeness gets my co-operation but rudeness gets my dander up.]

P.S. I'm a retired LEO, and never talked that way to the public.[Rude.]

Lee
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
M1849, I believe your story since we have had similar experiences. However, you may have misjudged the encounter. (Please read my post above about Walmort Parking.) The person may not have been a Walmart Employee. We always get permission inside the store before arranging to park overnight.

When we have been contacted by any security person, in every instance, in a Walmart parking lot, it has not been a Walmart employee. It has always been an employee of the Security Company that patrols the lot. In every instance that person was only informing us of the ordinance, when there was one, often stating that "we cannot park overnight" . Then when we informed the security person that we had permission from Walmart to park for shopping and we would be there until morning to go shopping, we were politely informed that we could stay.

Very often we are contacted by the Security Patrol and merely informed that we will be safely observed while we are parked, after we visit, and the patrol person learns that we will be overnight. Even the Security Persons who started by telling us that there was no overnight parking become polite and friendly when we explain the situation. I appreciate this, especially the extra security from the patrol.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
I have, on occasion, been ask to park in a different part of the lot..  Usually I'm just shopping when that happens.

As it happens, I have a scroll sign that has several canned messages, including "Not staying, Just shopping"
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network