WAL-MART DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RVers in HOMESTEAD FLORIDA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
debamoore said:
April 8, 2011 - Found out that the WAL-MART in HOMESTEAD. FLORIDA is NOT the area for RVs!!!  Drove into a Wal-Mart parking lot at 10:30am (the last one one the way to The Keys)  The security guard drove up and said,  (I QUOTE)....................."THESE TYPE vehicles have a 3hr parking limit, it's 10:30am now you have til 1:30pm then you have to leave"!! 

We had just pulled up did not even get 5 secs to put my shoes on to go into the store. 

WAL-MART discrimination against RVers!!!  WOW....and they wonder why they are being sued for discrimination!! 

I was not parked overnight!  I was going in to get items for my trip to the Keys since there is NO Wal-Mart in the Keys. 

So, I decided to stay for "MY" 3 hours and take some notes: 

In approx. 1.5 hrs 10 RVers pulled up - out of those 10 they took up (including me) 32 parking spaces.  Now the average RV/5th Wheel/etc.. has 2 or more people.  (BTW...everyone got the same visit, by the same guard, either before or after shopping at Wal-Mart!).  Each RVer had approx. 6-10 bags or more of groceries, etc... in that same time period 2 cars with boats pulled up - NO VISIT from the guard - and one of them did not even go into Wal-Mart - stayed for 45mins on cell phone - took up 3 parking spaces!  The other boat went in and came out with what looked like 1 small bag of chips!!  Then there were cars pulling into the parking lot 2 at a time hitching a ride in another car and leaving one car parked!! 

Before we left we travelled around the side of Wal-Mart as we had seen BUSES going back and forth...(there have a BUS stop on the side of Wal-Mart) - these BUSES park for 15-20 mins pick up people and drop them off....some of the folks I noticed were leaving their cars and getting on the buses...I am sure going into town for work, beach, etc...

I know we take up a lot of room in our RV's but I do not appreciate anyone putting a time limit on MY visit to the store!  I am young enough where I do not have health problems....I feel really bad for those RVers that are not as fortunate and take longer to get their items needed at the store...or even those of you that have small children that want walk slowly down EVERY toy isle in Wal-Mart!!

THE PARKING LOT WAS NOT FULL....NOT EVEN CLOSE....AND WAS A HUGE PARKING LOT!!

I will NOT be going to a Wal-Mart store anytime soon!!    :mad:

SIDE NOTE....FYI........  The meaning for discrimination is:

Discrimination is the cognitive and sensory capacity or ability to see fine distinctions and perceive differences between objects, subjects, concepts and patterns, or possess exceptional development of the senses.

Sadly, if the security guard would have demonstrated an ounce of people skills, you probably wouldn't have posted this and got all mad.

Only had a problem with one WalMart parking lot. After stopping my Rig, I was accosted by one of their lot personnel who informed me that I couldn't park there. I just informed him that I was there to pick up my wife who is on the set up crew for their new store, but now I was going to see the Manager about their wanna be cop on their lot who does not know how to talk to people. [Politeness gets my co-operation but rudeness gets my dander up.]

P.S. I'm a retired LEO, and never talked that way to the public.[Rude.]

Lee

M1849, I believe your story since we have had similar experiences. However, you may have misjudged the encounter. (Please read my post above about Walmort Parking.) The person may not have been a Walmart Employee. We always get permission inside the store before arranging to park overnight.

When we have been contacted by any security person, in every instance, in a Walmart parking lot, it has not been a Walmart employee. It has always been an employee of the Security Company that patrols the lot. In every instance that person was only informing us of the ordinance, when there was one, often stating that "we cannot park overnight" . Then when we informed the security person that we had permission from Walmart to park for shopping and we would be there until morning to go shopping, we were politely informed that we could stay.

Very often we are contacted by the Security Patrol and merely informed that we will be safely observed while we are parked, after we visit, and the patrol person learns that we will be overnight. Even the Security Persons who started by telling us that there was no overnight parking become polite and friendly when we explain the situation. I appreciate this, especially the extra security from the patrol.

I have, on occasion, been ask to park in a different part of the lot..  Usually I'm just shopping when that happens.

As it happens, I have a scroll sign that has several canned messages, including "Not staying, Just shopping"

This is the last jumping off spot to the Keys - I can't imagine anyone would allow overnight parking as it would be full of RV's and trailers all the time - be reasonable and call ahead to make real reservations out side of the most popular destination spots in the US.

And - why do we DESERVE to stay? It's a gift to us when any place allows us to stay, not an insult just because they can't, won't or aren't allowed...

It sounds to me like the security flack was feeling the weight of his badge. Diplomacy is obviously not his strong suit but otoh, you are not entitled just because you have a million dollar rv and a Gold Card. Save your wrath for more important battles.

This thread was started in 2011 with the last replies in 2013 apart from today. Maybe the info is outdated.

I can see where the WalMart in Homestead would be a popular place for RV'rs on the way to the Keys, and they probably have to be a bit more energetic about discouraging too many RVs from getting overly comfortable. However that security guard may have taken his job a tad more serious that was required.
But, knowing people as well as I think I do, I suspect that guy was hired strictly to prevent RVs from setting up camp and taking off to visit the keys for a day trip.
The OP was probably only the 400th one that day.

A comment, likely a repeat of things said up-thread
Sometimes it is wal-mart's fault (not often)
Sometimes it's the city, county or state that has passed ordinances or laws.
And when that happens it's likely the campground owner's assn that's responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom