License plate lights and front license plates -- why required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammer

I was just fussing around with the license plate lights on my tow vehicle the other day.  Minor hassle.

I suppose that in the Days Gone By when you had a choice between regular and Ethyl they didn't have retroflective coatings on license tags and maybe being able to see them at night was a big deal for law enforcement.

But I'm not sure if they serve any real purpose.  Any current or former law enforcement personnel want to comment?  I suppose the laws requiring them are good for pretext stops, but do they have any other value?

Do the front license plates help law enforcement in any way or are those just there for historical reasons too?

So, the next time you are walking down the street at night and witness a hit and run be sure to be carrying a large flashlight.

We've gone through toll booths where the camera took a photo of the front plate.  Also going to a car wash the guy who writes the tickets uses front or rear.  Going into a parking lot or a valet parking, the person writes it down.  Those red light cameras use the rear plate to identify its registration.  In other words, I suspect they're used a lot more than we realize.

ArdraF

FrankNSharon said:
So, the next time you are walking down the street at night and witness a hit and run be sure to be carrying a large flashlight.

I'll remember that next time I'm walking at night someplace where there aren't streetlights.

I doubt if the car wash lobby has much influence ;D .  The front plate requirement is a state thing, although, I think most states require both nowadays.  I know Missouri required only the rear some years ago in an effort to save money, but the front is back (did I say that right?).  Both plates have been in vogue a lot longer than "red light" cameras have been in operation, so that's not the reason - not initially, anyway.  About the only reason for a front plate that I can think of...well, maybe 2 reasons is #1) give prisoners more to do.  #2) make it easier on the meter maid to check the expired meter and plates.

As for the rear plate light, who knows?  Maybe for night time beat cops if there are any left.  Oh wait, maybe it's to light a cop's ticket book.  It would be handy with the plate right there, too.

Arkansas does not use the front plates. I used to hate to have to throw my donut out and get out of the car when I spotted a suspect vehicle backed in to block the plate from my view. It's a time management thing.

Private detectives surveilling a cheating husband hate it, too, when they can't get a camera shot.

;D

"we've always done it that way!"

Who knows?

I believe if you check there are more states that do not use a front license plate. Never really payed that much attention though. There are some laws on the books that are very outdated but then again who needs laws when our officials don't enforce them anyway.

The reflective plates are mainly for revenue enhancement....  Besides making it easier for red light cameras to "read" the plates, it's also used for laser radar.  Laser radar needs a reflective surface to bounce off of.  On many cars that reflective surface is covered (think the mirror in head/tail lights).  Really easy to put a nice shiny reflective thing that EVERYONE has to have for the officer to use for revenue enhancement.

Not sure about the front plate thing - I think it's similar but most states don't need them - here in PA we don't but NJ does.

It looks like there are more that require two plates.
http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_XLPR.html

Interesting map, makes me wonder why, both front and rear has it by 2 states. Throughout the world there seems to be a tendancy for both in most countries. Of course you get overseas and they tend to have monster plates.

itguy08 said:
The reflective plates are mainly for revenue enhancement.... 

That might be a stretch. Most jurisdictions don't have the manpower to run constant traffic enforcement, and some states, like Arkansas, limit the amount of revenue that can be generated from traffic fines by percentage of a local budget.

Besides, dual tags came along LONG before anybody could even spell RADAR or LIDAR.

Texas requires a front plate and I hate it, mostly because it really sticks out like a sore thumb on our Mini Cooper. I didn't have it on for a while and I got several warnings from troopers. My wife got a warning one day driving home from work. Needless to say, she stormed in the house and demanded I install the front plate immediately.  :( I want to buy one of the retractable front plate holders so it will be hidden and if I get pulled over, hit the button to expose the plate and play dumb when the offficer says he swore he didn't see a front plate on the car.  ;D

skyking4ar2 said:
That might be a stretch. Most jurisdictions don't have the manpower to run constant traffic enforcement, and some states, like Arkansas, limit the amount of revenue that can be generated from traffic fines by percentage of a local budget.

Besides, dual tags came along LONG before anybody could even spell RADAR or LIDAR.

I agree on the dual tags - I grew up in NJ and they had them for as long as I can remember. 

But the reflectorized plates definitely came in arounf the time LIDAR got popular.  It gives the cops a nice target that is relatively consistent across most cars and is guaranteed to work well with LIDAR.  IMHO (and that of most experts) for the most parts speed limit enforcement is 0% to do about safety and 100% about revenue generation for the state/local/insurance companies.

Speed enforcement is just like red light enforcement it isn't necessary until someone is killed, just ask the mother of a child killed by a speeding driver. Red light cameras are now being used for red light enforcement because of the number of accidents of people running red lights. The people caught holler "invasion of privacy". If a law is made it needs to be enforced, if it is a bad law get involved and get it thrown out. You and I both have the right to have safe streets to drive on. I pay taxes for law enforcement so where are they. No offense to the hard working men and women who do the job but I do have the right to get what I am paying for. BTW, I have a daughter who is an Miami-Dade County Officer who hears my rant all the time especially grandkids using granmas handicap sticker because they are too lazy to walk.

CT used two plates for many years. Then they went to one plate to save money. They are now back to two plates for some reason unknown to me. Don't care now since we live in FL. ;D

For many years nearly all states required front plates but then budget cut feaver came out and they discontinued that practice.  I will give you a pro and a con.

Pro: With plates on both ends, you can ID the car from both ends.. Also heaven forbid you smack someone (HIT AND RUN) it is possible a mirror imae of your license plate may be pressed into the victim.  Many a hit and run driver has an officer with a mirror to thank for his change of address form (Old address, house, new address THE BIG HOUSE, (prison))

But that second plate costs money.. And what's worse many companies would take the front plate, put it on the back of another vehicle and thus get by with half the registration fees.

Of course... Sometimes that backfires.... One of my motor carrier officers was following a couple of gravel haulers one day and noticed both tractors had the same plate..... OOPS,  the next day all my motor carrier officers dropped in on the company yard.... Along with a few tow trucks.  Very expensive tow trucks.

If your vehicle was stolen do you think it would be easier for law enforcement to find your vehicle and return it to you if it had one plate or two?

Back
Top Bottom