Fluid spec's for Bounder leveling system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

I can't locate any info packet for my automatic leveling system on my old ('97) Bounder.
It's been sitting with the jacks extended for a period of time and when I raised the jacks
I continue to get a "jacks down" indication.? The forum has been helpful so far in alerting
me to a possible low fluid level but I can find no info on what type of hydraulic fluid to add.

It's a four jack system and that's about all I know for now.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, lou

I believe it is Automatic transmission fluid the same as our Eagle.  However, a call to Fleetwood with the coach serial nbr to confirm would be a good idea.

It's Dextron III ATF on our Monaco. But, as Ron suggests, a call to Fleetwood might be in order.

Thank's Ron and Tom,

I recalled the word Dextron but wasn't sure if it was something I heard in conjunction with this problem
or some word the salesman used to describe the virtues of the large screen TV at Circuit City or
something my doctor prescribed for short term memory loss.  Duh! I'm sure it will come back to (haunt?) me.  lol
Seriously Guys, thanks for the info.  I'll call Fleetwood on Monday.  lou

Lou,

My '96 Bounder has Milwaukee Cylinder leveling system - I assume yours does also. The manual states 2 possible causes for the light not going out: 1) Low fluid level, or 2) Fluid level switch malfunction. Also states to use Dexron II ATF, but any type A ATF will work satisfactorily. There are other options for cold weather operation (Mobil DTE 11M, Texaco Rando HDZ-15HVI, Kendall Glacial Blu, or any Mil. Spec. H5606. Fluid level should be at least 1/8" from bottom of dipstick (located near top of fluid pump tank; appears to have a hex-head knob). Float switch is also near the top about 90 degrees from the dipstick. Two wires connect it; check for continuity and/or corrosion if fluid level is o.k.

Bounds mostly have  Power Gear leveling system but if yours is an automatic levelor (push one button and it does all the work by itself) then it may be an HWH system.  The name is usually right on the controller.

The Power Gear system is known for giving a false "jacks down" indication if the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir gets a bit low. That may be your problem. 

After two m/hs with Power Gear jacks you learn to carry a quart of ATF.

Karl said:
Lou,

My '96 Bounder has Milwaukee Cylinder leveling system - I assume yours does also. The manual states 2 possible causes for the light not going out: 1) Low fluid level, or 2) Fluid level switch malfunction. Also states to use Dexron II ATF, but any type A ATF will work satisfactorily. There are other options for cold weather operation (Mobil DTE 11M, Texaco Rando HDZ-15HVI, Kendall Glacial Blu, or any Mil. Spec. H5606. Fluid level should be at least 1/8" from bottom of dipstick (located near top of fluid pump tank; appears to have a hex-head knob). Float switch is also near the top about 90 degrees from the dipstick. Two wires connect it; check for continuity and/or corrosion if fluid level is o.k.

Hi Karl,

Did your Bounder have one fluid reservoir or was there one on each jack ??
I've never had any problems with the ones on my 93 Pace but this topic has raised the question with me.

Woody

Thanks all...
Problem solved. 

BTW  My system is a power Gear.  As Gary said, it is written on the panel.  It needed a small shot of fluid and I noticed one wire on the sensor/switch was frayed down to one strand remaining so I soldered it and tried to protect it with some electrical tape.  It's in a position near the right front wheel where it apparently gets hit with stones and who knows what else.

Thanks again. lou

Woody,

There's only one reservoir, located to the right front of the engine. The fluid is sent to the jacks thru one hose each, under control of electrically operated valves on the output side of the pump, and is returned to the reservoir thru the same hose but thru a different control valve. All dump at the same time. 

Thanks Karl, I'll have to look for mine so I'll know where it is if I ever have trouble.

Woody

Woody:

Look up in the right front wheel well forward of the tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom