Installing anchor points in roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetfire

::)

Hi everyone!

I am trying to gather feedback from you if you have installed any anchoring points in the roof. I don't need to install a full rack, but to give you an idea I plan mounting my Holy Cow 15' canoe 8) on top of my 24' Winnebago View. It will be probably enough to have side rails (maybe I will remove the roof TV antenna).

I have transported it many times on top of my station wagon, but besides the loading on top of the RV (different problem, possibly with a pulley system), I don't know where is safe to drill to ensure I have strong anchors.

Should I even do it? Perhaps you think of better options. I thought of a trailer, but it seems safer the roof option if the anchoring is good. The canoe is not heavy.

Thanks!
Manu

Your best bet would be to contact Winnebago Owner Relations with your question. They would be able to tell you if there is anyplace on the roof capable of securing a tie down anchor.  Anything else would be a shot in the dark. 

Sarge

There are aluminum cross beams (rectangular aluminum tubes) in the roof. Winnebago can email you pdf diagrams showing their location if you ask. It might be worthwhile having those prints.
Have your VIN or Winnebago ID number available when you call.

I called them  and I had an email back with the PDF in just 10 minutes. Great service!

Thanks for the hints. I need to think now how I will do this one.

Have you considered installing them on the sidewalls near the top?? I would think is is less likely to cause leak problems.  Also what is this going to do for your overall height??

You are right for the height, besides it would be about ~1.5' higher than the air conditioner. Is there any max height standardized? Some of the caravans I see in the road seem higher, but it would be good to go over the numbers. My concern with the side was the toll pay booths that tend to be tight.  I will get back with the options for your suggestions.

Thanks!

You are good to 13' 6" on 99.99% of all highways in the US.  We are 40' long and 12" 6" high and we rarely worry about bridges (but it is always a concern and the 'radar' is always going.)

Only one time is about 60,000 miles of RVing with the Horizon did we ever have a possible encounter with a low bridge on the obvious route to the campground.  Fortunately I looked at the campground's web page ahead of time and their directions mentioned the low bridge, so I planned an alternate route.  Yeah, the 'radar' consists of always being alert, especially once you are on the last mile or two to the campground!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom