surge protector - worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
I believe the model that Camping World sells is a SurgeGuard that doesn't have the same protection that the Progressive Industries models do.

Nope, my Surge Guard from CW has all those same features Ned.  I have the hard wired 50 amp model. It has saved my butt on several occasions on both mis wire and low voltage pedestals.  I wouldn't have a rig without it. 

Unless they've improved the design, the older Surge Guard models would not react to a wiring failure that occurred after the initial connection, while the PI models will shut down power immediately in the event of a failure such as open neutral, at any time.

Well I can't say for sure there. Mine will not connect if there is a wiring failure upon plugin, but I don't think I have ever had a pedestal fail on me after hook up.  It would be tough to imagine a situation where that would reasonably occur.....

However, low voltage dropouts are VERY common. New parks, old parks it's doesn't matter much.  I did notice at one park that when I plugged into a 50 amp plug that only one leg of the Surge Guard was showing a connection.  I called the office and they sent an electrician to look at it. When he opened it up and tested it, one leg was non-op. The remaining leg showed normal voltage.  He replaced the plug and then the power showed as normal. 

Sarge,

Well I can't say for sure there. Mine will not connect if there is a wiring failure upon plugin, but I don't think I have ever had a pedestal fail on me after hook up.

This is usually the neutral having a problem and is most common in old poorly maintained parks, worn outlets, loose connections etc. or brand new parks where things have not been done exactly right.  This case is like the new RV, manufacturing glitches.  People do make mistakes.

Most of the campgrounds we use are part of "Resorts Of Distinction" and usually have great elect. service, but last Columbus weekend while at one of the resorts we expierence a low power situation. So this week I order a 30AMP hight, and low volt protector like TERIER ordered. I ordered mine from RV Advantage and it for about $224 including shipping. A lot less then camping world. It seems to me that Camping World is about 20% higher in cost then a number of other RV suppliers.

I need more help.  Since I brought the one from CW I decided to keep it.  Today I finally opened the box and took a peek at it.  My power cord has one  L shape prong and the SP only has the straight cut prong holes. 

Now I need feedback on other brands - both portable and installed types.

Update:

This morning I went to the storage place to check out the power cord.  The end that plugs into the CG outlet does not have the L shape prong.  I was confused by the other end that plugs directly into the trailer. 

I bought the 50 amp one from CW.  Hasn't happened so far, as we've only had it a short time, but it is very long and I've noticed with some campgrounds that their hydro box is just a few inches off the ground.  I'm wonder how we're going to manage that???  Because this surge protector is probably about 2 feet long.

ruthandken CDN said:
I bought the 50 amp one from CW.  Hasn't happened so far, as we've only had it a short time, but it is very long and I've noticed with some campgrounds that their hydro box is just a few inches off the ground.  I'm wonder how we're going to manage that???  Because this surge protector is probably about 2 feet long.

You can do like I did, I had an old 50 amp extension sitting around that needed a new end, so I just cut it shorter by about 5 feet, and made a short extension [5 feet] and a long extension [25 feet]. With new connections on both cords I can either use the short one when in your situation, or add an additional 5 ft, 25 ft, or 30 ft if needed to reach a pedestal that is just beyond the reach of my main power cord.

One of things I liked about the higher price one (EMS-PT30C) was that it was much shorter.  It might fit better where I tend to camp especially if it's raining.  But is it worth the $90 or so higher price?

I like the idea of using a shorten extension cord but I don't have an extra cord laying around.  Still looks like a good idea to consider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom