What is best way to tow an 89 Bronco about 50 miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

My son has a 89 Bronco 4x4, automatic transmission, that isn't running currently and is out of license.  His father-in-law has purchased it from him and is coming to pick it up in a few days when he is in town to pick up some heavy equipment.  My son needs to get the Bronco to the loading site which is about 50 miles across town in Phoenix.  We thought that we could rent a towing dolly from U-haul and put the front wheels on it and tow it there with my pick-up.  U-Haul said they don't have a Dolly big enough for a Bronco.  Any ideas short of hiring a tow truck?
Jake

Jake, if there was a way to get the engine started, you could put the transfer case in neutral and rent a tow bar from U-Haul.

How big do they think a Bronco is, I wonder?  I would think it would easily fit on any passenger car-size dolly.  Wheel track (width between the wheels) is the only concern with a dolly and I can't see that aBronco would be notable wider or narrower than most any other regular production vehicle.

Or were they perhaps thinking of a full trailer rather than a dolly?  Even then, I would think a Bronco would fit on a typical U-haul car carrier. My brother-in-law brought his Jeep Wrangler from Florida to NY on a U Haul rental trailer and it had room to spare.

You might want to check again - or try another UHaul outlet.

It is a full size Bronco, weight is about 6000 lbs, and width according to internet spec is 79 inches.  U-haul restricts weight to 3900 lbs, front axle, and 72 inch width.  It must be the width that prevents using their equipment.  I remembered seeing a trailer in my neighborhood with a small early Bronco and the owner was in front of his house so I stopped and asked him what his trailer was rated at.  He said 7000 lbs and offered to let me use it.  Can't beat that price.  My son has also come up with a way to transport it so we have a back-up plan too.
Thanks,
Jake

Idea one is a tow truck, Idea 2 depends on the bronco.  If it can be towed 4-down (Most Broncos if memory serves are 4x4 and can indeed be towed 4-down  but CHECK THE PROPER WEB PAGE FIRST.

U-Haul may have a tow-bar which can be installed temporary, rental is about the same as the dolly

Alternatively go with Blue-Ox or RoadMaster tow bars, these you need to buy but you install the base plate permentally on the bronco

Finally, Most states require safety brakes on the towed (all of them if it's 4001 or heaver from what I recently read, Texas, where I'm currently parked, allows 3999 w/o towed brakes)

So the tow truck is your best bet.... Unless you are up for a log-chain tow (NOT RECOMMENDED)

I wouldn't think of towing a vehicle any distance with a chain or tow strap.  I do have a 20,000 lb Kevlar towing strap but that only to be used to pull Fords out of the mud with my Dodge ;D  My son had talked to U-Haul and they stated they didn't have anything large enough for a full size Bronco.  I like the idea of a temporary tow bar but don't know where we would get one.  As of now, we plan to tow it 4 up on a trailer available to us. 
Thanks,
Jake

Jake said:
My son has a 89 Bronco 4x4, automatic transmission, that isn't running currently and is out of license.? His father-in-law has purchased it from him and is coming to pick it up in a few days when he is in town to pick up some heavy equipment.? My son needs to get the Bronco to the loading site which is about 50 miles across town in Phoenix.? We thought that we could rent a towing dolly from U-haul and put the front wheels on it and tow it there with my pick-up.? U-Haul said they don't have a Dolly big enough for a Bronco.? Any ideas short of hiring a tow truck?
Jake

Frankly, I suspect that you will find no good answers short of hiring a flatbed tow truck.  Check local outfits for the cost of a 50 tow and compare that to the alternative of a tow bar or renting a trailer.  Ask yourself if the hassle is worth the difference if any.

Chain or tow strap towing is just plain illegal in most civilized states and will buy you  a ticket and a parked tow every time.

A big Bronco with a transfer case can be tow four down with the case shifted to neutral.  As far as 6000# GVW, that sound more like the GVW Rating.  The sum of the axle ratings is about 6000# on my '95.

Carl,

Your right, the 6000 number was the Vehicle gross weight number.  We put the Bronco on a dual axle trailer made for hauling vehicles, complete with winch, tie-downs, and brakes. Got it moves safely and easily.

Jake

Back
Top Bottom