Body Work Repairs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

This past weekend coming back from our trip my DH decided to make a turn in a parking lot that we've decided wasn't too smart!  He ended up colliding with a rock!  One of our side door compartments received some damage.  I've contacted Winnie this AM and was told that we have to order the door through a recognized Winnebago shop and that it comes unpainted.  If any of you have gone through this type of experience, can you give me some ideas of what to expect, like...how much will a new replacement door and trim cost?  Any ideas on what it should cost to paint it?  We are trying to decide whether to turn it in to our insurance ($1K deductable) or just pay out of pocket, so that our insurance rates stay down.  Just looking for some input...this obviously wasn't a fun experience and we are hoping it's just a learning experience! One that we will remember with humor in the future...right now it smarts! :(

I'd guess you will be just under the decuctible on this one.  8 years ago, a door and paint was a little over $500 for my DSDP.  Today the door alone is about <$800

Thanks Jim for your response.  It also involves the strip above the door, beneath the pop out. The pop out is not involved, thank goodness!

You can get replacement doors from non-Winnie sources. Besides, most body shops can repair the doors, no matter how ugly it looks.

http://www.rvluggagedoors.com/

I snagged my generator door (a big one) on a sewer dump station a few years back.  Holiday Rambler remade the door for a bit over $400 plus shipping and it cost me $100 to have a local body shop paint the door.

My big mistake was having them computer match the paint and paint the door off the coach.  It doesn't match well at all and should have been blended.

I did talk to Winnebago and they said I should take it to my local dealership and have it repaired there.  They would ship the parts to them and then they could paint it too.  I'm more concerned with the paint job than the replacement.  The replacement seems pretty straight foreward to me, new door, new hinge, new piece across the top and new piece between the two doors...the painting of the graphics seems more daunting!  I'm going to drive the rig over to them today and get an estimate.  We do have a couple of good body shops here locally, but I don't think they'd have the room to fit the MH to repair it, let alone paint it.  JMO

I'll bet the "dealer" will send the job of painting out to one of the body shops.  The panel can be painted and then put on the MH, also the other touch up can be done similarly.  Mine was.

You may find the Body shop will be cheaper if you go there and leave the dealer out of the loop as most shops can deal with the manufacturer directly and will.  My local one does.  Got to get a scrape fixed ourselves.

Adding to Jim's suggestion, I called the dealer and asked the service manager where they send RVs for repairs to bay doors. Turned out to be a first class guy that I would never have found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom