Towing horse trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I know some folks bring their horses along behind their RV. What special considerations are there for towing a horse trailer? Are there weight issues, and do you need a special hitch on the back of the RV?

Tom said:
I know some folks bring their horses along behind their RV. What special considerations are there for towing a horse trailer? Are there weight issues, and do you need a special hitch on the back of the RV?

The only special consideration that I'm aware of is to make sure your MH has the towing capacity for the fully loaded trailer and horse(s)

Not all do. Note: Hitch capacity is not the same,  IE: My MH when I get it the hitch capacity is 5,000 lbs but if the MH is fully loaded only 4,000 lbs remain for towing,,, My lumina, is 4,000 lbs

I don't see any special considerations otherr than remmembering you do have livestock behind you and drive accordingly.  The biggest thing that would come to mind is most campgrounds may not welcome horses so you have to plan your trip so you can stop and rest and water the horses.  When we had horses (before we we into RVing) we used fairgrounds when traveling long distances between departure point and destination. Marsha & Tim tow horses so maybe they will jump in with whhat they do.

Weight considerations will apply as it does when towing anything else.  Don't exceed allowable hitch weight or gcvw.

Marsha Lassen (and Tim) tows a horse trailer with their 40ft DP.

I'm sure she'd have some good advice on this matter.

Trouble is I haven't seen her on the board for a couple of weeks--guess the first grandchild had got her undivided attention, as so it should. :)

Ciao,

Doug

Well, better late than never. ?Somehow I missed this thread. ?As Doug has suggested probably a "New Grandmother" moment....<grin>

Towing horses is basically the same as towing anything else...except you really need to pay attention to weights. ?Even most 2 horse trailers are pushing the 5,000# ?hitch limit that comes on most motorhomes; even big diesel pushers. ?That's one of the first things we looked at with our motorhome search....a 10,000# hitch. ? We were prepared to have a 10,000# hitch put on and beefed up if we found a motorhome that we liked.

And of course you need a trailer braking system. ?Most horse trailers use electric brakes that can be adjusted to accomodate the weight you are pulling. ?Also, there is a safely release to apply the brakes to the horse trailer should it become seperated from the tow vehicle. ?Now adays it's a requirment to have a "rechargeable" break away battery so that the brakes will be engaged if disconnected.

We go a further step in that we also use a "distribution" bars. ?WE had to use them on a lighter truck/trailer combination and so I feel "naked" if they aren't on. ?We probably don't need them, but they make me feel better.

One thing nice about pulling a horse trailer verses a 4 wheel down tow car.....you can back it up.
Ron is also right in that you have to make sure the campground allows horses. ?There are several places where you can pull in with a horse trailer...put the horses in a corral and call it camping.

Marsha

Marsha, I think you're definitely allowed that "New Grandmother" moment. Looking forward to seeing you again at Moab.

Tom,

As Ron mentioned, campgrounds may not allow horses. When George tows his horse trailer he usually finds a Horseman's park in town. Out west I believe they are fairly common. He'll put the horse(s) in a corral and boondock for the night if there are no hookups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom