2011 Dodge 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

I towed my fifth wheel this weekend for the first time. The truck pulled my trailer down the road and I did not need any more power. My mileage was almost 14 mpg and solo was 19.9 mpg. The exhaust brake was very nice!!!! The trans did not back shift. I read about how Dodge is behind Ford and Chevy I can tell you not true. I traded in a 2005 F350 diesel for a Dodge.

I think a fair comparison would be Ford's 2011 6.7L. That 6.0 never earned earned it's keep in a lot of peoples eyes.

I read all of the reviews and they told me Chevy Duramax and Allison transmission is #1 then Ford and last Dodge. The reviews are wrong and miss leading. The truck has power. The weak point is the trans in a Dodge I read. I like it the best of all. Seats are much better in the Dodge. Exhaust brake Dodge has this all together! I test drove everything and no one came close to Dodge. I have owned Ford's for 37 years and now I own a Dodge? Must be one heck of a truck.

I agree that a fair comparison would be equally equipped trucks of the same model year but if the truck works for you, that's all that matters. Regardless of who has the max HP/Torque numbers or tow ratings, the big 3 are all still making trucks and we see all 3 brands pulling all sorts of TTs and 5ers so they must all be doing something right!

When I was shopping last year I drove both the F-250 (with the new 6.2L gasser) and the GMC 2500. Ford had the stronger numbers but I found the seat uncomfortable, I could not see over the hood as well and I could not reach the radio. Case closed - very capable (for my needs) GMC in the driveway.

Congrats on the new truck!

skirk55, I'm so glad to see that you love this truck, seeing that I bought the same one!  I have to agree with you on, that Dodge did it right with this truck. After driving Chevy for the last 25 years, never thought I would see the day one would sit in my driveway.  Matter of fact I was one of those guys who would preach not to buy a Dodge truck and then continue to tell why you shouldn't.  So here I am A proud owner.  As for the big 3 they all build great trucks right now, I didn't want to go with Ford because of them having a brand new motor this year(diesel), and i won't buy anything first year out. That said Ford #'s were very impressive just not for me yet.  Chevy, again a great truck with very impressive #'s, But I was ready for change so after one ride in the new Dodge I know this was it. The interior of the Dodge is what sold me on it, the roominess of the cab and just the layout and setup, I liked better than the Chevy.  But Chevy's  motor and trany are provein to be  the best on the market.  So now that Dodge has a new trany with there diesel motor that was another reason to give it a try, have heard nothing but good about this new trany,(and have even heard that it may  be a "Allison"not sure though).  This 14mpg towing is this in flat land or is it also hilly areas??  And how many miles are on your truck at this time??  I believe you told me that your trailer weights about 10,500 dry???  The dislikes of this truck are getting used to the frontend (straight axles) totally different feeling than my Chevy's, have to be very carefull in bumpy corners, truck likes to hop around.  With that said, we know we both love this truck, now lets see if the truck can continue to give us this feeling for many more worry free years!!!

Is your Laredo BHS an ultralight? I was pulling a Laredo 266RLS, GVWR about 11,000 with a 2010 Dodge 2500 with no problem. It is rated to tow 13500. We just traded for an Open Range 345 which has a gross weight about 12600. I haven't pulled it up the mountain yet but will do so in a couple of weeks.

On long trips, my husband drives with his Chevy 3500 dually and it handles the trailer better but I am satisfied with the Dodge for all around shopping as well as towing vehicle.

My weight is just over 11.000 lbs and I have tools.Fishing stuff and things I will never use in my trailer. This truck has no problem pulling. This is a very easy to operate and a little too comfortable. I went from a 1 ton truck to a 3/4 ton and have no regrets. The truck has good stopping power. Yes everyone has to deal with the idiot that cuts you off and slams on the brakes. The brake control Dodge has works.

I'll try to remember to post again after my trip from Maricopa up the mountains past Payson to Clints Wells at the end of this month with the heavier trailer. My husband doesn't go with me on my monthly Good Sam dry campouts so I'll be using my Dodge.

The new trailer has an 85 gal. fresh water capacity which I'll fill for a week of dry camping so that will add a bit.

Back
Top Bottom