Tires - best for a 15" TT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrwpmw

I thought the hard decision was to replace all of my tires. The Duros are starting to crack and blow after 3 years,

I have 15" rims. The tire I replaced my Duro blowout with late last year was a Goodyear Marathon. So, it makes sense to just get 3 more Marathons.

I then read reviews, the Marathon is rated terribly. But then so were the Duros and most other 15" tires.

Thanks to this forum, I know Maxxis are good but cost more and are harder to find. I could also upgrade to 16" wheels and have more tire options, or put LT tire on.

I should say, the camper is just 3 years old, I am not happy about blowouts and replacing tires, but I do not want to spend more than $500 on tires for either. So, new rims and tires are probably out.

So, here are my options:
1) Go with 4 new ST205/75 R15 Load D - Goodride Tires (Chinese of course) for about $400. Big plus these are D Rated.
2) Go with 3 new ST205/75 R15 Load C Goodyear Marathons for about $330. Also made in China.
3) Put LT Tires on. In that case, what would be a good LT tire equivalent or above the ST205/75 R15 Load C that I have now? Also, they will fit on my existing rims correct (15x5.5)?

I was already told by some dealers they will not put a LT on a trailer tire rim. However, other dealers will. It sounds like many people use LT and don?t have problems.

Thanks!

PS - the sidewalls of the Duros look OK.  But between the treads a few of them are showing little cracks/spilts.  The year of manufacture on these was 2007.  Just wondering if that is normal or not?  I'm going to replace them anyway, but just curious.

You want to increase the size and load rating of your tires to get more weight carrying capacity, which should increase their life somewhat.  I'd get load range D tires, and go up a bit in size as well.

Goodyear makes the Marathon in ST225/75R15 and Load Range D for about $105 each. Costs more than the same tire in LR C, but worth it, I think. Get the Goodyear place to order them. Or buy them direct from the Tire Rack online and pay to have them installed locally.

There is confusion about the LT designation. If the LT appears at the tail end of the size, it means it is  a low pressure, high floatation tire and not at all suitable for trailer use. But LT at the front, e.g. LT225/75R15 means it is a "Light Truck" tire and eminently suitable for trailers.

Going with a ST225 was in my plans, then I hit this snag.  My wheels are 15x5.5.    The goodyear ST225 (and all others that I can find) require a minimun wheel with of 15x6.

Hey - I did find something in LT that might work!

Goodyear Wrangler HT
LT215/75R15

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wrangler-ht/
Click View Full Tire Details to get the specs.

But if I read this right.
1) It will fit my 15x5.5 wheels.
2) The load rating is D (2,095 @ 65).  That better than my current C.

The only thing that I am not sure of is "Measured Rim Width".  These tires say that it's 6".    I'm not sure what that is or if that is a problem?  I know they will fit my wheels at 15x5.5 because they are approved for Rim Widths of 5.5-7.0.

Sounds to good to be true, or am I missing something? 

Thanks!

I've come to the conclusion most things are made in China now.  However, I am anticipating less problems trailering with a LT tire vs an ST tire in general.

In researching this.  LT and P tires appear to require higher safety standards and are more thoroughly tested.  For whatever reasons the ST tires are not held to the same standards.  I read the details somewhere, but I'm betting more manufacturers build to the standard but don't often over exceed it (cost).  So, that 'might' explain why blowouts are ST tires are so common.

Now I know taking care of a trailer/ST tire is important.  But many people say they had blowouts while traveling at safe speeds, tire properly inflated, tire new or in good shape. 

Many of those same people say they switched to LT tires and never had problems again.    Also, it there appears to be a growing acceptance of using equivalent LT tires as replacements for ST tires.

The 215's are probably a good choice for your existing rims. Yokohama also makes an LT 215/75 for about $104.00 each here, but it is only load range C.

The 215's are rated for 2095 lbs/tire at max inflation. How does that compare to your 205C's?

The LT tires will be rated for higher speeds than an ST tire, and the sidewalls will be a bit more flexible because they are suitable for use on a steer axle.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The 215's are rated for 2095 lbs/tire at max inflation. How does that compare to your 205C's?

The ST205C's are about 1820 Gary. The 2095 on the 215's would actually give him a nice extra load safety margin.

This leads to a question I have about wheels.  My 15x15.5 are likely rated at 50psi (best I can find without look at the inside of the wheel).   

It appears that no matter what tire size I go with, that once I get in the D load rated tire, the max psi is 65 (compared to 50psi on most C load tires).    I just wonder if that is really problem for the wheel?   

P.S. intresting note.  I talked to another tire place today that refuses to put any tire on my trailer other than a ST.    They said it's against the law, violates DOT and could cause me insurance issues should the trailer ever be in an accident.      What's up with that?    I talked to 3 tire places now, only 1 is even willing to put an LT on for me?

I talked to another tire place today that refuses to put any tire on my trailer other than a ST.    They said it's against the law, violates DOT and could cause me insurance issues should the trailer ever be in an accident. 

That's a crock. There is no such law, nor any such DOT regulation, whether federal or state. Nor does the insurance company care. Ask them to show you a law to that effect.

Better yet, find another, better informed, dealer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom