Need advice on which diesel Class B's to consider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOVETOTRAVEL

We are looking to purchase a used diesel Class B and would like input on which makes and models are recommended - and also which are not recommended for any reason.  Thanks.

We have been very happy with our 08 Roadtrek Adventurous.  Love that there are two distinct areas to live in and we get 19-20 mpg if we keep to 60 mph.  We have nearly 50,000 miles on it.  The downsides are that you can't use the water system below freezing (we have had it to 28, but no guarantees) and the memory foam on the powersofa tends to sag in the middle after a while.  We got the captain's chairs in the front so we could sit comfortably at the table, which we keep up all the time.  We have full timed in it as long as 9 months and it is very livable for two.  Ours doesn't have much cargo weight available as it is a 2500 so I am sure we are driving it overloaded.  The newer 3500 model has a larger ccc.

I can also recommend the RS Adventurous as one of the better Sprinter-based Class B's. We have an '08 Great mileage, comfortable living for two and a dog, better driver that some Ford & Chevy based B's, fits just about anywhere, all metal. Regardless of the label on the front grille (Dodge, Freightliner, etc.) they are all Mercedes working vans underneath and pretty much bullet-proof.  MB built a bazillion of them, there's a dizzying choice of configurations out there, and parts & service are available most places. A little pricier than other platforms, but you get what you pay for--and the resale seems to hold up well. 

I have a 2006 Road Trek Adventurous which I bought used.  Previously I had a Chinook Concourse.  The advantages of the Road Trek Adventurous is the Sprinter chassis....a marriage between Mercedes Benz and Freightliner.  Fed Ex bought 50,000 of them.  I get 21 mpg cruising around 65 (better if I slow to 60)...back makes up into a king size bed.  I like the 4 captains chairs that all swivel inboard for a table set up.  I like the storage under the back (more if you don't opt for the electric sofa)...downsides are the refrigerator is very small, the shower/bath is small and the propane Onan generator has been a continual maintenance headache.  (it's underneath the coach)

Great for cross country trips with the kids or grandkids.  Large fuel tank (30 plus gallons) gives it a 600+ mile range so you can cover some ground with switching drivers. 

We have a 2005 Gulfstream Vista Cruiser.  It's a Freightliner Diesel on the Sprinter Chassis.  We have about 50K miles on it and have had little problems.  It is small, but is very easy to drive and park and gets fantastic mileage.

We had generator problems, too, but it turns out that it is from dirt daubers who like to nest there.  We have to periodically clean it out and that seems to fix the problem.  The small refrigerator is sometimes annoying, but guarantees fresher food.  We kind of like shopping at different groceries.  :)

We have only used the shower once and don't use the hot water at all since it is almost non-existent. 

We have a 2011 Roadtrek RS Adventurous and absolutely love it. It's a Mercedes diesel on a Sprinter Chassis. Haven't had any issues, but then again we've only had it 4 months now. Check out our site where we hope to have lots of information.
Edit: Link moved to sig line.

I am pleased to see some positive coments in this thread about the Mercedes/Sprinter Class B chassis. I am looking at the 2012 Winnebago ERA and am just waiting for the final approval for the trade in on my current van and trailer. Looking forward to learning more and reading more about some of your adventures and experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

Karsty

There are several B manufacturers out there.  It's a matter of floor plan and price.  And, there is always Sportmobile, design your own.  We have a 2010 RT RS Adventurous.  Really crazy about it.  Economical, easy to drive and park in the city or back into a campsite.  Price was right. Plenty of room for he two of us.

vsherouse said:
We have been very happy with our 08 Roadtrek Adventurous.  Love that there are two distinct areas to live in and we get 19-20 mpg if we keep to 60 mph.  We have nearly 50,000 miles on it.  The downsides are that you can't use the water system below freezing (we have had it to 28, but no guarantees) and the memory foam on the powersofa tends to sag in the middle after a while.  We got the captain's chairs in the front so we could sit comfortably at the table, which we keep up all the time.  We have full timed in it as long as 9 months and it is very livable for two.  Ours doesn't have much cargo weight available as it is a 2500 so I am sure we are driving it overloaded.  The newer 3500 model has a larger ccc.

Hi vsherouse ... I just purchased a new Winnebago ERA ... which is similar to your unit. I read with interest about the power sofa sagging in the middle after awhile. Is that still a problem/concern?? Is that from sitting or laying??

I am planning to do some long term travelling 2-3 months at a time and am looking forward to my new adventures. I do have the 3500 with dual rear wheels so I have the extra CCC.

After 50,000 miles any major problems or concerns that you can share with a newbie. I am assuming that you have the Cummins deisel 6 cylinder engine??

Thanks

Karsty

watch out for leaking injectors on the mercedes engine espesh once its got 100,000+ on it..........cheers........keith

keith g said:
watch out for leaking injectors on the mercedes engine espesh once its got 100,000+ on it..........cheers........keith

Keith ... Thanks for the information. However, not being mechanically inclined, I wouldn't have a clue WHAT to look for. I did do a GOOGLE search however.

I will have to rely on the dealer to deal with the leaking injectors if and when it becomes an issue.  Fortunately I only have 8,000 KM (5,000 miles) on the vehicle and it shouldn't be a problem for some time.

Let's hope that Mercedes has the issue "fixed" on the newer vehicles, including mine.

Thanks

Karsty

VanCityRV.com in St. Louis has two 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous vans. They get higher mileage of between 19 and 25 mpg depending on prevailing winds and your speed, compared with about 17 mpg on Sprinter vans build 2008 and more recently. If you don't mind spending bigger bucks on new units and giving up the mileage of the older units, the new Leisure Travel Unity Murphy bed Sprinter van gives you more space and comfort but about half the exterior storage you get on the Adventurous. Search Leisure Travel motorhomes on the web.

I have the 2012 Winnebago ERA on the 2011 Mercedes/Sprinter 3500 chassis. I only have 8500 KM on it but I am getting around 18-22 depending on the amount of city/highway driving. It has a GVWR of 11030 LBS, so it might be heavier than the older 2500 chassis ... but like was mentioned earlier it has a great cargo carrying capacity. I'll gladly sacrifice a mile or two for the extra carrying capacity since I will be travelling for months at a time and most of my travelling will be boondocking so I'll be carrying extra water etc.

Karsty,
Four years ago you posted about your new Winnebago ERA. I would like to know your review, good and bad, about the coach part. I am looking to sell my 2006 Roadtrek RS and am looking at alternatives. I love the Sprinter part of it. If you see this post and reply, I'd be most appreciative.

I've seen lots of good diesels and the only negative one is the Mercedes. My brother-in-law runs a transportation service. Something in-between a taxi service and limo service. He had several Mercedes vans with diesels and hated them. they broke down often and required a lot of maintenance. They were all new and he trades out every couple years to keep newer vehicles on the road. He got rid of all of them and switched to Ford and seems to love the Ford 

Back
Top Bottom