EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Registering an RV in Texas - do you need to be a resident/have TX address?  (Read 7471 times)

thesmiths

• ---
Hello there everyone ... sorry, yet another question!  I have trawled the boards here and can't find the answer, so wondered if any of you knew ...

If we registered the title to an RV in Texas, do we need to be "resident"?  I know in Florida you can have a mailbox forwarding address, but can't find out if you can in Texas or not or whether you need to have a proper permanent address ...

Many thanks

Hannah
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:45:04 AM by thesmiths »

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Many of us full timers have registered our vehicles in Texas without a permanent residence anywhere.  We have used the Escapees mailing service as an address for 14 years.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

thesmiths

• ---
Thanks Ned thats great.  Would we really need to take the Texas driving test too or can we get insurance without it?

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
If you want to get a TX drivers license, you need to take the tests.  A drivers license is separate from registration.  The road test is only for the Class B license for vehicles over 26,000#.  You do need to be licensed to get insurance.
2007 GMC Canyon

thesmiths

• ---
Ah right, I see, I didn't realise you couldn't get insurance without a TX driving licence (as you can in Florida).  Thanks!

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
If you want to insure yourself as a driver, you do need a drivers license in some state.  If you never drive the vehicle, then you don't need the license :)
2007 GMC Canyon

thesmiths

• ---
Thanks Ned.  We both want to drive it (well I don't really but I think I better be able to just in case!).

Do you know - if I had an address in Texas (through Escapees) then bought and registered in Florida, is there a problem in that?  Would insurance still be able to be got?

Thanks!

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
I believe if you have a Texas address, Florida will issue a temporary tag so you can drive to Texas. I am not sure how the sales tax will work.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

thesmiths

• ---
Thanks gcowgill - if I have a Texas address, does that mean it has to be registered in Texas?

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
I would think so but am not sure of the regulations involved. Some of the others on the forum probably could answer that question.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Orick

• ---
  • Went Full Time to Half Time but Still Fun Time
Thanks gcowgill - if I have a Texas address, does that mean it has to be registered in Texas?

Like Ned, we've used Escapees for some time now.  I don't know for certain the answer to your question above but I do know that Texas requires that ALL of your motor vehicles be registered with them if you register one.  From what I heard while at their DMV they are pretty serious about it too.

Rick
Rick, Nancy, Peanut, Lola (Westies) & Bailey the Sheltie Dog
2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Ford Explorer Toad

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
When we registered in TX in 1997 we had to have all our vehicles registered before we could get a drivers license there.  I suggest you research the current laws at the Texas DOT website and don't rely on just our word.  The laws can, and do, change over time and there may be different requirements today.
2007 GMC Canyon

Hosted by Over The Network