Registering an RV in Texas - do you need to be a resident/have TX address?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesmiths

Hello there everyone ... sorry, yet another question!  I have trawled the boards here and can't find the answer, so wondered if any of you knew ...

If we registered the title to an RV in Texas, do we need to be "resident"?  I know in Florida you can have a mailbox forwarding address, but can't find out if you can in Texas or not or whether you need to have a proper permanent address ...

Many thanks

Hannah

Many of us full timers have registered our vehicles in Texas without a permanent residence anywhere.  We have used the Escapees mailing service as an address for 14 years.

If you want to get a TX drivers license, you need to take the tests.  A drivers license is separate from registration.  The road test is only for the Class B license for vehicles over 26,000#.  You do need to be licensed to get insurance.

If you want to insure yourself as a driver, you do need a drivers license in some state.  If you never drive the vehicle, then you don't need the license :)

Thanks Ned.  We both want to drive it (well I don't really but I think I better be able to just in case!).

Do you know - if I had an address in Texas (through Escapees) then bought and registered in Florida, is there a problem in that?  Would insurance still be able to be got?

Thanks!

thesmiths said:
Thanks gcowgill - if I have a Texas address, does that mean it has to be registered in Texas?

Like Ned, we've used Escapees for some time now.  I don't know for certain the answer to your question above but I do know that Texas requires that ALL of your motor vehicles be registered with them if you register one.  From what I heard while at their DMV they are pretty serious about it too.

Rick

When we registered in TX in 1997 we had to have all our vehicles registered before we could get a drivers license there.  I suggest you research the current laws at the Texas DOT website and don't rely on just our word.  The laws can, and do, change over time and there may be different requirements today.

Back
Top Bottom