emergency window latch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The latch will depend on the brand of the window used in your Laredo. If you can't find a window mfgr name on the glass or frame, try giving Keystone a call and asking for the glass supplier name.

Since we are on this subject, I've often wondered if you should open the emergency window every so often so that when you do have to use it, you are familiar and it will open easily.  My quandry is if you open it once, is it easy to close back up.

Marsha~

To answer the "Should you open it from time to time" question.

Depends on the window

There are 3 kinds of "latches" that I know of  I've actually seen/used two of them

On my coach each emergency window has a pair of red handles.  You turn them, then push the window open (it swings up) I have used them, for example, to pass boxes (Flattened corrorgated paper boxes) directly into the bedroom for transport. (We layed them atop the bed) also for entry/egress when the door latch broke.

On most Detroit City Buses it's a full length bar along the bottom of the window..Pull up and push out to open.. I've only closed these.  Never opened one.  But again. you can open and re-close these.

Some rigs have a "rip cord" type of thing.. You pull a rip cord and it tears the rubber gasket you can then push the window out... These can not be re-closed.

Every person inside the coach should at least know HOW to open the emergency exits.

My 1991 georgie boy class A just has an "exit" sign under rear side bedroom window. I am supposed to like kick it there for emergency exit? Don't see any latch or anything.

My 1991 georgie boy class A just has an "exit" sign under rear side bedroom window. I am supposed to like kick it there for emergency exit? Don't see any latch or anything.

Probably not, if it doesn't have any words like "Kick to Open" on it.  t may the window opening is large enough that it doesn't have to come out - just open the window and crawl out (probably backwards, so your feet hit the ground first). The law requires an emergency exit, but it doesn't require that it be painless, elegant, or easy on your ego.

Just another piece of information to add is that someone finally figured out that during fire conditions the smoke banks down from the ceiling. Exit signs above doors and/or windows are often unreadable when the smoke is thick. This is the reasons that most high rise buildings are putting exit signs at floor level also. And may be why the exit sign is below your window. Or, it may be because there is a cabinet above the window and the sticker wouldn't fit there. Either way, knowing how to open the window with your eyes closed is a good skill to have.

One thing I recll Mac teaching us .

The bed comforter or bed spread makes a good covering for the fairly sharp edge of that window sill as you exit.

Also good for other things.

I know in my Heartland 5er it has a red handle you unlatch,swing out and push the window out, hinged at the top. Then you have a 9'-10' drop to the ground. Guess it's better than burning to death.

Our American Tradition is like your Heartland. The bedroom windows are small awning types, so the only way to exit is to remove the entire window. The red emergency handle is there for that purpose.

Back
Top Bottom