Insulating RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giamantic

Me and my partner are in the process of remodeling our 85' Mallard camper.  We have just about all the walls gutted out and getting reading to put in new insulation.  Has anyone tried spray foam insulation in a RV?  Or what are some recommendations?  Thank you... ;D

I would go for it in a minute. If you can find someone to do the application. It seems like it make the whole frame much more rigid.

Good luck
George

Hi giamantic and welcome to the RV Forum.

Foamed in insulation sounds dandy. The manufacturers just use sheet foam and cut it to fit the openings, but spray in would leave no gaps and maybe be more rigid as well.

Only one caution. Most Spray foam used in home construction is very toxic in a fire and in a home requires 1/2" drywall as a fire barrier. I don't know if the block foam used any RV's is any better.

ken

In my bus conversion, I'm planning to go the spray foam route.  The prices are close to the same, the R value is close to the same, and the spray foam will fill cracks and help stop all the air flow issues traditional insulation runs into.

As for the fire safety aspect, I'm personally considering Tiger Foam, which has a fire rated version.

Good luck with your remodel project.  I hope we get to see some of the pictures as you go along.

I hope this information is helpful to you,
jim

I am wanting to put pics of the remodelling on here, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.  I am new to this forum and I guess haven't worked on it enough to figure that out yet.  Does anyone know how?

As luck would have it, I ran across a site where a custom 4x4 Class C was being built, and they used spray in foam as well.
http://customclasscbuild.blogspot.com/2009/10/build-from-start-to-finish-part-2.html

I usually host my pictures on my own website and just link them here.  However, you can look below the text entry area when typing a new post, and there's a + sign with Attachments and other options.  You can then choose files to attach.  There're limits for the files (indicated in that area), but they're quite generous really.

I hope this helps,
jim

Thank you very much...I am going to go check out the link you put on your reply.  Then see about adding some pics.  I have the before pics for sure, and will have the demo pics soon.

Again, thank you. 

After taking everything you wonderful RV'ers have said and what will work best for us, we have decided against spray foam insulation.  It would be great, but cost wise, it just isn't going to work for us.  We are going to use the styrofoam insulation and utilize expandable foam into areas that the boards won't get to.  So thank you everyone for your input.  It was greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom