Verizon's Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

Is anyone using the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH?LC11 on Verizon service yet?  I presently am using a Verizon USB-720 air card and a Cradlepoint 350 wireless router.  My monthly cost is $59.95.  By changing to the 4G hotspot I can take the bill down to $50 and use the 4G network when it is available when traveling.  We don't have 4G service at my home location yet.

I have seen several reviews on the hotspot were less than flattering.  Just wondering if any here have moved to the device and service and how they like it.  Also if you changed, did you have to pay a $35 change fee?  I know that I would have to pay $99.95 for the device and sign a two year contract.

Since the air card is my only internet service and it works well now, I hate to jump into the fire if they don't work well.

Thanks in advance.

I have been using Verizon's 4G network for the last few months and it is amazingly fast. I have gotten as high as 37mbps. I am using a VL600 USB modem to connect with. I am in Las Vegas so I have 4G all the time.

This group  http://www.evdoforums.com/  has a lot of comments on using Verizon 3G/4G.  Maybe someone there will have some comments on the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH?LC11.

JerryF

Well I was in town today and stopped by Verizon to see if they had the Samsung Hotspot in stock.  They did and I bought one.
So far it seems to work okay on 3G, my only option here.  I haven't configured all of my PC's yet, but I can see that 5 devices could be a bit tight at times.  I liked the old Cradlepoint CTR-350 and its 255 ip addresses.

Anyway if it works good I'll let you all know.  If not, I will take it back within 14 days and get all but $35 restocking fee back.

Bago said:
Is anyone using the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH?LC11 on Verizon service yet?  I presently am using a Verizon USB-720 air card and a Cradlepoint 350 wireless router.  My monthly cost is $59.95.  By changing to the 4G hotspot I can take the bill down to $50 and use the 4G network when it is available when traveling.  We don't have 4G service at my home location yet.

I have seen several reviews on the hotspot were less than flattering.  Just wondering if any here have moved to the device and service and how they like it.  Also if you changed, did you have to pay a $35 change fee?  I know that I would have to pay $99.95 for the device and sign a two year contract.

Since the air card is my only internet service and it works well now, I hate to jump into the fire if they don't work well.

Thanks in advance.

I have had this device for about 6 weeks and it works well except getting it to work with my wireless printer was and still is a challenge. The only way I have had any success so far is to remove the security and run it unsecured. Not a good scenario. Hoping that Verizon/Samsung comes up with a better solution to this.

Edit:Fix quote

I upgraded to the Pantech UML290 modem with a Verizon reseller store accelerating my free for 2 upgrade at no cost so I had a new modem and 4G $50 monthly plan. I previously had used a Verizon USB 760 and $60 monthly plan. If you ever served in any branch of the military you can obtain a copy of your DD214 military record. Submitting that to Verizon at a Verizon corporate store will qualify you for the Verizon 15% government employee discount. Without the DD214 and if you are a member of FMCA you can get a 5% discount. Verizon does not apply either discount to the 3G plan. However it does apply them to the 4G plan so with the military discount it only costs you $42.50 a month and, IIRC, only 6? monthly in taxes and fees.

I bought the WiFi Ranger from the 3G Store ($109.95) which gives me 4 ethernet connections and unlimited wifi connections (buy the 4' USB extension for $5. It also serves as a wifi access point so if we are in range of a good hotspot, the WiFi Ranger supplies that connection to all connections. With my plan cost reduction and discounts, my payback for the WFR is less than 8 months and, whenever I am in a 4G area (not often) it is a bonus.

Bago,

It took a couple of months for Cradlepoint, the 3G Store and Verizon to get the 3G/4G modems and routers working okay.  Cradlepoint did a great job and deserves most of the credit.  At first a person had to lock their Modem and Router to be 3G only when in a 3G area.  I mention this because if you cannot get it working in your 3G area within the Verizon's 14 day return limit maybe you should.  4G is not in very many areas yet so the hope of finding 4G when traveling is low.

JerryF

Well after having the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH?LC11 for a month, I am quite satisfied.  I have only traveled through one 4G area and it worked fine there.  Verizon did have a nationwide 4G outage a couple of weeks ago and it took down the 3G service to the hotspot while at the same time my Droid was working perfectly on 3G.

I just leave the unit plugged into AC in an upper cabinet and have not yet had any problems with poor signal to it (but I haven't been to the desert yet  :)).

My wireless printer works though the unit just fine.  I set my own ssid and put the unit on WPA Personal/PSK(TKIP) security and all of my wireless stuff including the HP wireless printer connect as they should.

The bottom line is that it is smaller than the old USB720 and Cradlepoint 350, costs $10 less per month and works beautifully.  I will be in several areas that support 4G this summer so I can get the benefit of the higher speed there.

Bill, on the road now in Tulsa, OK

Back
Top Bottom