35mm slides to digital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I have boxes of 35mm slides that contain a lot of memories and some family history. Does anyone know of a way to easily capture the images and convert them to digital?

I vaguely recall that you used to be able to buy a "dark box" into which you inserted a slide and the lens of a video camera, but I have no idea if they're still available or if they'd be suitable. Any other techniques for doing the same thing?

Meanwhile, I'm hanging onto my 35mm slide projector and carousels until I can get them converted.

http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.org/35mm_slide_film_scanners/35mm_film_slide_scanners.html is a good review of the various scanners availble for 35mm slides.  A Google search on "35mm slide scanner" will turn up more resources.

Thanks Ned. BTW this line caught my eye:

"...spend $38,000 to $80,000 or more for a drum scanner"

Wasn't planning to spend much more than $25  :(

Tom said:

Wasn't planning to spend much more than $25? :(

Well lets see maybe you can get a piece of PVC pipe cut a slit in it to put your slides in and then attach it to your digital camera lens and snap a digital photo of your slides.  May take a little trial and error but could be done.

That's creative Ron and sure wouldn't break the budget  ;D

Tom said:
I have boxes of 35mm slides that contain a lot of memories and some family history. Does anyone know of a way to easily capture the images and convert them to digital?

I vaguely recall that you used to be able to buy a "dark box" into which you inserted a slide and the lens of a video camera, but I have no idea if they're still available or if they'd be suitable. Any other techniques for doing the same thing?

Meanwhile, I'm hanging onto my 35mm slide projector and carousels until I can get them converted.

Tom,

I did all of our slides about two years ago. My son has a scanner that you can put I think four slides in at a time. It was very time consuming but they're all on CDs now. I just stacked them all up and said I'd do at least one box everynight. But knowing you what else do you have to do.  ;D  ;D  ;D  If you want, I can get the make and model of my son's scanner for you.

My next project that I haven't figured out how to do yet is transfer all the 8mm home movies to DVD.

Thanks Don. I'd be interested to know which scanner that was. Right now it seems like a monumental task but, as you say, it just needs setting my mind on getting it done.

I haven't figured out how to do yet is transfer all the 8mm home movies to DVD

That one has been nagging me too. So, if you find a solution, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Tom,

I have a NIKON Coolscan 4000ed with a 50 slide automatic feeder. It's great. Just load the tray, start it and go away for about 2 hours and they're done. Does a god job. You can select the resolution you want. It even will do dust removal and color adjustments on those old faded slides. Check out "slide scanner" on ebay. there are several that look pretty good.

Chet18013

Thanks Chet. There's an interesting writeup on that model here. Their "ICE" automatic correction looks pretty good.

Thanks for the invitation Chet. Not sure when we'll be in your area though  :(

There are numerous slide scanning services available - here are a couple:

http://www.slidescanning.com/

http://www.myspecialphotos.com/scanning.asp

You can probably find a local photo shop or internet services place that will do it too. MAybe even Walmart or a drug store photo dept - they offer all kinds of prints on CD services these days.

Prices seem to run around 30-35 cents per slide but I think you can do better than that in volume.

Chet18013 said:
Good review, Tom. I saved a copy of it. Yes the dust and scratch removal does work like they show it. Why don't you come and visit and bring your slides? I'll let you use it while you're here.

Chet18013

Chet,

Bring the slide scanner to Moab 2007 and we could do our slides too.

Thaks Gary. If I can't get them done myself, a service woul be a good alternative.

Tom said:

I have a Canon 9950F that does a terrific job.  Will do several, (I think 12) at a time.

Thanks Ron. I just checked out the Canon after reading your message.

Tom said:

Wasn't planning to spend much more than $25  :(

Tom

$25 will work if you only want to digitize about 20-30 slides ;D  We bought a Canon 9950 scanner (flat bed) to handle high quality scans (it was the top rated PC World office scanner at the time) and it will scan 12 slides at a time. But cost is about $400.

Thanks Benie. $400 seems to be in the ballpark for a film/slide scanner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom